Reaction score
Newton's advice to Jason Garrett: Don’t even acknowledge Jerry Jones at Cowboys practice
Staff reports
Published: 19 May 2013 07:13 PM

Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett may well be facing an ultimatum this season: make the playoffs or head for the door.

But Garrett’s quest to get into the postseason for the first time as Cowboys coach is being made even tougher by his perceived loss of authority at Valley Ranch. In one off-season, Garrett has seen his coaching staff overhauled, his defensive scheme changed and his play-calling duties have been questioned, all while a roster that went 8-8 last season has seen relatively little turnover.

So if Garrett’s power really has been lessened, how can he maintain control over a team that he needs to win now? According to former Cowboys lineman Nate Newton, he can start by ignoring his owner at at practice.

“What Garrett has to do is when he’s running his practices, make sure he’s running his practices,” Newton said on KESN-FM’s GameDay program last week. “When Jerry [Jones] walks out there, don’t even acknowledge him. I love Mr. Jones. If he comes out on this field, I’m going to want to shake his hand. But I’m not the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. I’m not trying to keep control of 53 grown men that’s running rampant. So if I’m Jason – no disrespect to Mr. Jones – but you hired me to do a job and then you stripped away everything that meant something to me during this off-season. Now I’ve got to get some of this back in front of the troops.”

Newton invoked the name of Texas Rangers manger Ron Washington, saying Garrett needed to follow Washington’s lead by putting “his own lineup out there.”

Or – better yet – make a power play just to prove he still can.

“This is an ugly thing I’m fixing to say, but hope that somebody makes a decision and say, ‘Hey, we’re going to do it this way,’ and just override it,” Newton said. “Change some things in practice. Let the troops know that you’ve still got a shred of control. But if you don’t – if you just let it go, let Mr. Jones and the players go out there and do what they want – he’s off limits. He’s off limits. That’s how you’ve got to do it if you want any type of control.”

In his two and a half seasons as Cowboys head coach, Garrett has proven popular with his players, but Newton stressed that there's a big difference between popularity and respect.

"The guys love Jason Garrett, but will they die for him? Will they run through walls for him?" Newton asked. "That’s the big question now."

Reaction score
Ex-Cowboy Nate Newton: Tony Romo's expanded role could work if Jerry Jones would get out of the way
Staff reports
Published: 19 May 2013 07:20 PM

Former Cowboys offensive lineman Nate Newton joined KESN-FM last week to talk about the Cowboys' off-season. Here are some highlights:

On if Tony Romo will have more voice in the Cowboys' offense:
He’s in his eighth or ninth year, and he should. If we’re going to pay him elite money and say he’s an elite quarterback – Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, the guys in New Orleans – they have that interaction. Now, Jason Garrett has always been a control freak. He came up under Jimmy Johnson and Nick Saban, so he’s always been a little bit more controlling than most people, but it’s time. It’s time for Tony to put his print on this team. I can see positives coming out of this if Jones would get out of the way and let Garrett and Tony work this.

On why he likes Rod Marinelli:
It’s just the idea that we’ve got an old-school coach that really doesn’t care how you feel, that you signed a contract and it’s time to uphold that contract. It’s time to be a player. “I don’t care who you’re supposed to be, what you’ve done in the past – I’m new here, I’ve got a way of doing things.” He’s been successful in the way he’s done things, and that’s what gives me hope. I don’t care who they draft or what coach they bring in, but the culture has to change.

On if Doug Free’s pay cut is progress:
That is progress, but you know what? We still ain’t learned that the dude can’t play. Cut him.

On the cap problems resulting from cutting Free:
OK, keep him and he costs your $55 million quarterback five games a year. It’ll all equal out in the end.

63echo

Reaction score
Nate dropping bombs all over the place. I'm guessing he's not on Free's Christmas card list.

Minimalist

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I like this. How about JG just bans JJ from the playing field.

Sorry, that's just wishful thinking.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Wow.

Of all the ex-players from the 90's, Nate was one of the last I'd expect to have some sense and actually say something like this.

Good for him.

Reaction score
Garrett is popular with the players in the same way that people love Alan from the Hangover movies.

Minimalist

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Are you one of those "Jerry has turned over the keys to the franchise to Garrett" delusionists? LOL

Are you one of the, Garrett is and always will be a shitty coach, "delusionists?" Nice word by the way. I think you might have it confused with illusionist though. ;) There's a thought experiment for you!

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
You guys have to understand the allure of Jerry Jones. He sounds like one of those guys that once you get into his circle, you don't want to leave it, no matter how much you think you want to, because somehow he will always draw you back in.

Reaction score
Are you one of the, Garrett is and always will be a shitty coach, "delusionists?" Nice word by the way. I think you might have it confused with illusionist though. ;) There's a thought experiment for you!

Count me as one of the delusionists. Thought experiments are part of my vocation and the predictive value of future success, based on prior data or trends of behavior, is very powerful.

For instance, here is my first piece of data on your minimalist intelligence. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/delusionist

Top Bottom