cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
RB
Lamar Miller Miami
or
Doug Martin Tampa Bay
They both might be too expensive but I still want to make that phone call, sell the franchise and this O Line. Miller is the rare 24-year old available home run (4.4 speed, 251 touches for 1,069 yards and 10 TD) free agent. Martin, a little older at 27, is a 223-pound workhorse who could help the Cowboys return to the ball-control running game they benefited from in 2014. Martin would also form a nice 1-2 punch with returner Darren McFadden. If the Cowboys can land either one, they should let free agents Robert Turbin and Lance Dunbar walk. They could gamble one of their 6th round compensatory pick on Georgia's Keith Marshall as a developmental running back and kick returner.

DE
Mario Williams Buffalo
or
Chris Long St. Louis
This depends on where the team envisions Demarcus Lawrence for the long run. If he's a RDE, then Chris Long makes sense as a 2-year fix. If the team wants to keep Lawrence at LDE, Williams could be a more expensive option. Williams also buys the Cowboys time to figure out if Randy Gregory is serious about his football career. This is all assuming Williams is not looking for another big payday. If he'd be willing to sign a 3-year deal similar to the one Green Bay signed Julius Peppers to in 2014 (3 years, $26M, $7.5M guaranteed, and most importantly, only a $3.5M cap hit the first year), it could be worth it for both parties. Regardless of signing a DE in free agency, the team should move on from free agents Greg Hardy and Jeremy Mincey.

DT
Brandon Thompson Cincinnati
A bit of a sleeper, Thompson has been stuck behind Geno Atkins and Domata Peka in Cincinnati the last 4 years. Thompson is 26, 6'2" and 305 pounds. His signing would allow the team to move on from underachiever Nick Hayden.

CB
Casey Heyward Green Bay
and
Brandon Boykin Pittsburgh
Heyward, 26, and Boykin, 25, would combine with Orlando Scandrick to give the Cowboys 3 unheralded, solid CB's for the next few years. Heyward played well for the Packers, but they spent their 2015 1st and 2nd round picks on CB's in anticipation of Heyward's departure. Boykin is an ideal nickel CB, with ideal size and athleticism to match up with quick, slot WR's. These two signings would allow the Cowboys a clean break-up from Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne, their big investments from the 2012 off-season.

S
George Iloka Cincinnati
At 6'4" and 217 pounds, Iloka would give Dallas the quick, physical strong safety they thought they were getting in J.J. Wilcox. Teaming him with 2015 1st rounder Byron Jones would give the Cowboys one of the most athletic safety tandems in the league. Signing the 25-year old Iloka means the team can cut veteran Barry Church, a liability in coverage who added tackling issues to his woes in 2015, and free up $4.25M in immediate cap room.

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
hi-res-7677d499670ec33d023a40f2ed8d6ce4_crop_north.jpg

4e3928409b312235890f6a7067006a36.jpg

Reaction score
Good list but idc for either DE. I'd take Doug Martin over Miller. I wanted us to draft Boykin so I'd like to sign him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hayward and Iloka would go a long way towards improving our secondary for sure.

Long and Williams are both question marks for differing reasons, but we should at least make the phone call. If either wants substantial money then no.

Lamar Miller would be a great add here. Martin has had some trouble staying healthy and is older but he is a workhorse who could help control clock and excel in short yardage/GL... I'd prefer Miller of the two.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Nice list, but you'll probably get Colt McCoy, Adrian Clayborn and some mid tier CB. I'd guess a Nick Hayden and Jack Crawford re-signing as well

Dunbar and Church will be back. Defense heavy draft based on Jerry's recent comments

Reaction score
I like how he gave us names but then also posted pictures so the board idiots like Doomsday would also understand

Top Bottom