C

Cr122

Moore: Eric Mangini needs to be discussed as Cowboys' DC candidate ... John Fox, Mike Singletary, too
Posted at 2:00 PM on Sat., Jan. 8, 2011 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
SportsDayDFW sports Bio | E-mail | News tips
Cowboys beat writer David Moore answered your questions in a chat Friday. Here are some highlights.

Steven asks ... What are the names you are hearing for defensive coordinator?

DAVID MOORE: One name I was starting to hear was Miami's Mike Nolan . Now that the Dolphins lost out on the Harbaugh sweepstakes and Tony Sparano remains, he's off the table now. Haven't heard any strong candidates yet. John Fox, Mike Singletary and Eric Mangini would have to be in the mix for discussion. You may have heard that Garrett thinks a lot of Green Bay's Dom Capers . He won't be available, but maybe you follow his coaching tree. Packers assistant coach Winston Moss qualifies if you follow that logic.

Guest asks ... what about rob ryan as a possible dc candidate?

DAVID MOORE: Haven't heard his name in relation to the Cowboys. Did hear he might be on Carolina's list to interview for the head coaching position.

Guest asks ... Eric Mangini: best option if Garrett cannot get Bowles?

DAVID MOORE: You could argue Mangini would be a better option than Bowles.
If the Cowboys want Bowles to be their defensive coordinator, they can get him. But I'm not sure he's their top choice. They already have a first time head coach and offensive coordinator in Garrett. Do they want to do that at defensive coordinator as well? I'd say the odds are against it.

cy asks ... I heard the name Mangini yesterday on nfl network for def coord. Any truths to that? and what do you think of cowboys bringing in a guy who runs the underrated 46 defense?

DAVID MOORE: Mangini is a good defensive coordinator and needs to be discussed at Valley Ranch. At this stage, I haven't heard anything about them bringing him in for an interview.
Greg Manusky from the 49ers is another name to consider. Again, haven't heard if an interview is scheduled at this point.

sdogo

Reaction score
Not a fan of Mangini as DC?

And welcome to our forum, how did you here about us?

I'm not a big fan of this move either. Dallas appears to be going in another direction. I see Garrett wanting to put together a young staff and staff that shares his values and goals. Mangini has been around the league, influenced by past coaches and been around long enough to be set in his ways.

I think Dallas needs new blood, a DC who has never been a DC.

C

Cr122

I'm not a big fan of this move either. Dallas appears to be going in another direction. I see Garrett wanting to put together a young staff and staff that shares his values and goals. Mangini has been around the league, influenced by past coaches and been around long enough to be set in his ways.

I think Dallas needs new blood, a DC who has never been a DC.

So you would prefer someone like Bowles or Moss?

sbk92

Reaction score
I think the last thing we need is a rookie defensive coordinator to go along with our rookie offensive minded head coach.

sbk92

Reaction score
And if Garrett really coveted a young staff to groom in his image, he wouldn't have wanted Capers here two years ago.

I think that's bogus homer fan spin. The top guys are clearly Mangini and Ryan.

sdogo

Reaction score
I prefer Moss over both of them. I think he's the next big thing in young coaches. Capers will tell anyone that listens that Moss is the foundation of that Packers defense. The interesting part is that as recently as the last week of the season Jerry Jones had contact with Capers and picked his brain about several members of the Packers defensive staff. I'm actually kind of surprised we have not heard more about Moss then we have.

If not Moss then Bowles is my clear second choice. I like the energy he brings as well as his aggressive approach to game planing. He is much like Garrett in demeanor and Cowboys players who have worked with him during his stint in Dallas have nothing but the best things to say about him. I know sbk92 address concern about a rookie DC but you need to understand. While Mike Nolan is the DC is Miami, it is set up as such that play calling is split between the 2 depending on down and distance. It's not something you typically see but has worked for Miami and given him more exposure to in game action then most positional coaches.

sdogo

Reaction score
And if Garrett really coveted a young staff to groom in his image, he wouldn't have wanted Capers here two years ago.

I think that's bogus homer fan spin. The top guys are clearly Mangini and Ryan.

I never realized Garrett was the HC two years ago.

I think that's bogus rectum spouting. Jerry will never hire a spawn of Buddy Ryan and what do you know the rest of us dont that those two are the clear leaders?

sbk92

Reaction score

Meaningless. He knew he was in line for it and I highly doubt he thought Capers wasn't going to stick around for awhile.

So I basically shot down your ridiculous point with one response.

I think that's bogus rectum spouting. Jerry will never hire a spawn of Buddy Ryan and what do you know the rest of us dont that those two are the clear leaders?

I won't comment on the idiotic Buddy Ryan comment. It's 700 level mentality that is beneath me.

Here's what I know about those two guys that rank them ahead of positional assistants - they both have a resume of coordinating successful defenses in the NFL.

sdogo

Reaction score
Meaningless. He knew he was in line for it and I highly doubt he thought Capers wasn't going to stick around for awhile.

So I basically shot down your ridiculous point with one response.

It is usually the loudest ones that have nothing of substance to say. They just like to hear themselves.

I'm also sure by your tone you are on the first to jump on Jerry for hiring of the coordinators and not letting the HC do it. Yet this time it's not convenient to your agenda so you will dismiss it. How warm and cozy for you. It's apparent Jason has so much input into the staff two years ago when Wade's hand was forced by Jerry to take over for Briant Stewart.

I won't comment on the idiotic Buddy Ryan comment. It's 700 level mentality that is beneath me.

Here's what I know about those two guys that rank them ahead of positional assistants - they both have a resume of coordinating successful defenses in the NFL.

You don't need to Jerry already has, several years ago before Wade was hired when asked about Rex Ryan when he stated he had no interest in having a Ryan patrol the sideline in Dallas. Maybe you forget Jerry was front and center for the "Bounty Bowl" but then again maybe you did not forget, you just dont always seem to have the facts.

I mean after all, your pimping Mangini who was releaved of his duties by 2 teams in 4 years and living off his reputation from his Patriots years when he had a supporting cast that would make anyone look good. It must be the Browns 22nd ranked defense that has you so hot for those two or maybe it was the Browns 31st ranked defense last year.

If that's your definition of successful defense you just provided us all with what we need to know about you.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I dont know how much more people have to see of the Ryan's to see they all are just a bunch of circus act stooges.

They all have ego's the size of planet Jupiter, and none of them will ever be HC of a super bowl champion.

As for Rob Ryan, he's never had what anyone would consider a "great" defense, anywhere he's been DC. In fact almost all his seasons he's had a middling defense at best.

sbk92

Reaction score
It is usually the loudest ones that have nothing of substance to say. They just like to hear themselves.

This is coming from a guy who feels the need to try to convince us he's buddies with people within the Cowboys organization.

I'm also sure by your tone you are on the first to jump on Jerry for hiring of the coordinators and not letting the HC do it. Yet this time it's not convenient to your agenda so you will dismiss it. How warm and cozy for you. It's apparent Jason has so much input into the staff two years ago when Wade's hand was forced by Jerry to take over for Briant Stewart.

You lost me.

I would never support an owner or GM, even a fake one like Jerry, hiring a coordinator for their head coach. Ever. No matter the situation.

That has nothing to do with what Garrett's preference obviously was. Which was Capers. Which shoots down your bullshat theory that he wants to surround himself with young coaches he can mold. Anybody with a brain knows who his preference is to run his defense.

What you were doing, insider, is preparing your spin for what it looks like the Cowboys will do. Bring in a first time coordinator. And looky here, you were on board with that. It was part of the master plan.

You don't need to Jerry already has, several years ago before Wade was hired when asked about Rex Ryan when he stated he had no interest in having a Ryan patrol the sideline in Dallas. Maybe you forget Jerry was front and center for the "Bounty Bowl" but then again maybe you did not forget, you just dont always seem to have the facts.

I mean after all, your pimping Mangini who was releaved of his duties by 2 teams in 4 years and living off his reputation from his Patriots years when he had a supporting cast that would make anyone look good. It must be the Browns 22nd ranked defense that has you so hot for those two or maybe it was the Browns 31st ranked defense last year.

If that's your definition of successful defense you just provided us all with what we need to know about you.

What Jerry has to say means nothing to me. Jerry is the single worst GM in all of football.

What kind of idiot would hold a grudge against a coaching family and refuse to bring one of them in here if it were to improve the team? What kind of 3rd grade mentality is that? I'll take any coach from any background with any history, if I think he can win.

When you evaluate Mangini and a guy like Bowles, the only logical thing to do is to put the guy who actually coordinated quality defenses in the NFL over the guy who never has. Despite any attempt to spin Mangini's career the fact is he's done it, Bowles hasn't. And when your head coach is Jason Garrett, I think you want some experience on the other side of the ball.

sdogo

Reaction score
This is coming from a guy who feels the need to try to convince us he's buddies with people within the Cowboys organization.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. My daily bowel movements are more important to me. Your opinion of me is meaningless.

You lost me.

your simply just lost

I would never support an owner or GM, even a fake one like Jerry, hiring a coordinator for their head coach. Ever. No matter the situation.

That has nothing to do with what Garrett's preference obviously was. Which was Capers. Which shoots down your bullshat theory that he wants to surround himself with young coaches he can mold. Anybody with a brain knows who his preference is to run his defense.
Then I ask you again, if Garrett was the OBVIOUS man in waiting and both he and Jerry wanted him then why is he not here? Simple question.

What Jerry has to say means nothing to me. Jerry is the single worst GM in all of football.

The door is open, Redskins park is always accepting new "fans".

When you evaluate Mangini and a guy like Bowles, the only logical thing to do is to put the guy who actually coordinated quality defenses in the NFL over the guy who never has. Despite any attempt to spin Mangini's career the fact is he's done it, Bowles hasn't. And when your head coach is Jason Garrett, I think you want some experience on the other side of the ball.

Again you have a loose definition of "quality defense"

Your also blind to the fact that even Mangini was not born a defensive coordinator. Did he get some kind of on the spot training in a prior life we dont know about or like all coaches was he once a rookie as well?

No one needs to spin his career. The numbers are what they are.

You know, you may think your an internet bully and that's all fun and everything. I have met 4th graders who scare me more and to be honest, have the ability to conduct a more informed debate but your inability to admit when your wrong because you carry this fake internet persona is really sad. On the coldest day in hell you would not support keeping any DC who's defense has finished in the bottom 10 for the last 4 years yet right now because you did not do your research before spouting and just wanted to hear yourself talk you sticking with it to the bitter end.

Also, give Silverbear back is signature. Come up with your own.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm not trying to convince you of anything. My daily bowel movements are more important to me. Your opinion of me is meaningless.

If you're not trying to convince anyone, why do you mention it every other post?

My bowel movements resemble your posts.

your simply just lost

My simply just lost?

Your mind can't cash the check you want to write.

Then I ask you again, if Garrett was the OBVIOUS man in waiting and both he and Jerry wanted him then why is he not here? Simple question.

By asking again you mean the first time.

Because Wade didn't want it to happen. And no matter what you think of Wade, he was the head coach and shouldn't have any staff member forced on him. It was the right decision under that situation despite the fact we lost out on a great coach.

But, that whole ordeal proves you're full of shat. Garrett's defensive guy is Capers. Not a young coach he can mold in his image.

The door is open, Redskins park is always accepting new "fans".

It's easy to expose you homer ham and eggers. Just get you to talk a little heated and the lack of an IQ shines through.

Did you type that with a foam finger?

I was here before Jerry. I'll be here after. Being a true fan does not require you to stick your head in the sand and believe all things your team are good.

Again you have a loose definition of "quality defense"

Your also blind to the fact that even Mangini was not born a defensive coordinator. Did he get some kind of on the spot training in a prior life we dont know about or like all coaches was he once a rookie as well?

No one needs to spin his career. The numbers are what they are.

I didn't say Bowles or any other position coach couldn't become a quality coordinator. I said those that have done it rank ahead of those who haven't. Especially with a rookie head coach next year.

You know, you may think your an internet bully and that's all fun and everything. I have met 4th graders who scare me more and to be honest, have the ability to conduct a more informed debate but your inability to admit when your wrong because you carry this fake internet persona is really sad. On the coldest day in hell you would not support keeping any DC who's defense has finished in the bottom 10 for the last 4 years yet right now because you did not do your research before spouting and just wanted to hear yourself talk you sticking with it to the bitter end.

Stop with the bully nonsense. Post something smart and I'll tell you so. Say something stupid and I'll label it that. I don't give a rats ass about your feelings and I'm not looking to make buddies with anyone.

I'm a truth teller. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Also, give Silverbear back is signature. Come up with your own.

lol

He stole it from me.

Now if you could excuse me, I have to come up with an original mock draft idea I have. Where I retardedly work in a band's song titles in an attempt to look clever.

sdogo

Reaction score
If you're not trying to convince anyone, why do you mention it every other post?

My bowel movements resemble your posts.

My simply just lost?

Your mind can't cash the check you want to write.

By asking again you mean the first time.

Because Wade didn't want it to happen. And no matter what you think of Wade, he was the head coach and shouldn't have any staff member forced on him. It was the right decision under that situation despite the fact we lost out on a great coach.

But, that whole ordeal proves you're full of shat. Garrett's defensive guy is Capers. Not a young coach he can mold in his image.

It's easy to expose you homer ham and eggers. Just get you to talk a little heated and the lack of an IQ shines through.

Did you type that with a foam finger?

I was here before Jerry. I'll be here after. Being a true fan does not require you to stick your head in the sand and believe all things your team are good.

I didn't say Bowles or any other position coach couldn't become a quality coordinator. I said those that have done it rank ahead of those who haven't. Especially with a rookie head coach next year.

Stop with the bully nonsense. Post something smart and I'll tell you so. Say something stupid and I'll label it that. I don't give a rats ass about your feelings and I'm not looking to make buddies with anyone.

I'm a truth teller. Sometimes the truth hurts.

lol

He stole it from me.

Now if you could excuse me, I have to come up with an original mock draft idea I have. Where I retardedly work in a band's song titles in an attempt to look clever.

That was a post full of nothing but your right, find something else to do. We are just going in circles here.

I'm sure we will meet again. Heck I'm sure we might even agree from time to time. Stranger things have happened.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

People who want any spawn of Buddy Ryan, must be under 30 years of age, and were not around for the Bounty Bowl or when he was the HC of the Cards and called a timeout just to look up on the big screen to see Aikaman get speared.

sbk92

Reaction score
People who want any spawn of Buddy Ryan, must be under 30 years of age, and were not around for the Bounty Bowl or when he was the HC of the Cards and called a timeout just to look up on the big screen to see Aikaman get speared.

I'm 36 and don't care who comes here as long as we win.

Top Bottom