junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Football discussions have been slow.

There look to be a ton of 1 tech types and strong side defensive end types in this draft. After the Melton signing, I really think DE might be the biggest need. Particularly, a weak side/quick twitch type. I'm just not sure that player is there in 1 unless Ealy is there and you think he can fill that role.

Supposedly the deepest draft in years. Time to move down if you can find a partner(s).

1. Move from 16 to 18. Jets want to move in front of Baltimore for a receiver. Pick up the Jets 4th (the pick from the Revis trade) which lines up perfectly value wise.

2. Move from 18 to 26 when Cleveland wants to move up for a QB. Grab a 3rd

3. Move from 26 to 30 with SF who wants to move up for a receiver in front of Carolina. Get another 3rd and swap spots in 4.

1. Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
2. Marcus Martin, C/G, USC
3. Kelcy Quarles, DT, South Carolina
3. Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson
3. Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State
4. Jawuan James, OT, Tennessee
4. Dion Bailey, FS, USC
5. Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern
7. Carrington Byndom, CB, Texas
7. Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh
7. Ben Gardner, DE, Stanford - has a real nice mullet

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
2 USC players? Impressive.

Good draft. I see at least 6 players who contribute and make the team better. That's not counting McKinnon, who scouts can't decide which position he belongs at. They even lined him up at CB and said he had great feet and hips. Definitely intriguing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Shazier would be a nice pick in the 20's, still would prefer DL (especially if we don't get Jared Allen)

Martin seems like a guy that probably fits at C only, and I am not a fan of moving Frederick now.

Love Quarles but I don't think he lasts till our pick in the 3rd.

A lot of good picks there though.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dion Bailey would be a disaster in this defense.

Yeah, I'm a big Bailey guy but he's basically Barry Church with skills. He needs to play Strong Safety and have a rangy partner at Free Safety.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jimmie Ward might make some sense in round two. Maybe a little smaller than ideal, but he has great cover skills and makes a lot of plays on the ball. Didn't seem out of place at all at the Senior Bowl.

If you draft him then you have Church and Wilcox battle it out for the other safety spot.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jimmie Ward might make some sense in round two. Maybe a little smaller than ideal, but he has great cover skills and makes a lot of plays on the ball. Didn't seem out of place at all at the Senior Bowl.

If you draft him then you have Church and Wilcox battle it out for the other safety spot.

Just keep flooding the field with Strong Safeties and then act befuddled when the deep ball burns us over and over again.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Just keep flooding the field with Strong Safeties and then act befuddled when the deep ball burns us over and over again.

You think Jimmie Ward is a SS only?

Some teams apparently see him as a potential CB because of his size (lack of being ideal safety size).

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
You think Jimmie Ward is a SS only?

Some teams apparently see him as a potential CB because of his size (lack of being ideal safety size).

He could play any safety position and you can line him up in the slot too.

He's very fluid.

Go to youtube and watch him against Florida State.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He could play any safety position and you can line him up in the slot too.

He's very fluid.

Go to youtube and watch him against Florida State.

That was my thinking as well. I must admit I never saw him play till the Senior Bowl but it seems the majority opinion on him is he has the range and ball skills to play FS, SS or even play slot CB.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I like Ward. To me, he can play in the slot and can cover in small areas. He will struggle in deep coverage especially against tall, long-striders. I think he could play a similar role that Honey Badger does for Arizona. He needs to be closer to the line of scrimmage (Strong Safety). We need a FREE.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I like Ward. To me, he can play in the slot and can cover in small areas. He will struggle in deep coverage especially against tall, long-striders. I think he could play a similar role that Honey Badger does for Arizona. He needs to be closer to the line of scrimmage (Strong Safety). We need a FREE.

I still think he could play FS. In some ways he reminds me of Thomas Everett, who was about the same size but he also played FS.

What are your thoughts on the FS from Stanford?

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I like Ed. He's smart, can line up a defense, and seems to always be in good position.

He has some Taylor Mays in him where he will try to blow something up rather than just play the ball. Unlike Mays, I think he's not an amazing athlete so he will lose some footraces. I would wait on him...3rd or 4th round.

Top Bottom