SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I know he worked on it a lot during camp and would step in if they had a chance to get great field position or a TD. But I don't really remember Parcels putting him out there a lot.

Here ya go bro,looks like him and Crayton took about 3/4 of the PR that year with Newman getting 2/3 of those.AS soon as I looked at the page I remembered the big PR for a TD against the Lions on New Year's Eve,a game we lost BTW.

2006 Dallas Cowboys Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Reaction score
Oh, there was one particular punt return during which Newman got the snot knocked out of him. I can't recall the particular game, but it was the beginning of the end of him returning punts.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Oh, there was one particular punt return during which Newman got the snot knocked out of him. I can't recall the particular game, but it was the beginning of the end of him returning punts.

Don't know if this is it but this is a pretty hard knock lol

[video=youtube;C4-BzS9aS7c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4-BzS9aS7c[/video]​

Reaction score
Don't know if this is it but this is a pretty hard knock lol

Yeah, that's the one I remember.

Newman didn't show good judgement as a punt returner. And even when he didn't get clobbered, he really wasn't all that great a returner.

And that was disappointing, particularly given that on the day that Newman was drafted, Jerry was talking up Newman's abilities as a punt returner.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I guess the amount of time he spent in Dallas being a gimp and getting lit on fire made me forget about him having any success as a punt returner.
selective memory. For most of his career he was easily the best CB we had. Now he was not worth the high pick we gave for him; i sort of put him in the Greg Ellis category of not worth where he was drafted but a very good player for many years with us. ANd since he is still starting in the NFL at age 38 he clearly is better than you are claiming he is

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess the amount of time he spent in Dallas being a gimp and getting lit on fire made me forget about him having any success as a punt returner.

Newman was a pretty good CB. I think at one point he had gone something like two years of games without giving up a TD pass.

I think it was his rookie yr when the Saints coach (think it was Jim Haslett) said before the season ending game that Newman was the best defensive player they had seen on tape all year to that point.

Newman had double digit passes defensed in his first 7 seasons as a Cowboy, including as career high 21 as a rookie. he had 32 interceptions in his career for the Cowboys. He also forced 7 fumbles in his time here. None of cornerbacks comes anywhere close to this kind of production and haven't in years.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Newman was a pretty good CB. I think at one point he had gone something like two years of games without giving up a TD pass.

I think it was his rookie yr when the Saints coach (think it was Jim Haslett) said before the season ending game that Newman was the best defensive player they had seen on tape all year to that point.

Newman had double digit passes defensed in his first 7 seasons as a Cowboy, including as career high 21 as a rookie. he had 32 interceptions in his career for the Cowboys. He also forced 7 fumbles in his time here. None of cornerbacks comes anywhere close to this kind of production and haven't in years.

Very true but you also cannot forget the last few years he was here too when he was consistently getting torched. He was also allergic to contact and seemed to be hurt quite a bit. He has had a successful career though and was by far a superior player to Carr or Claiborne.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Very true but you also cannot forget the last few years he was here too when he was consistently getting torched. He was also allergic to contact and seemed to be hurt quite a bit. He has had a successful career though and was by far a superior player to Carr or Claiborne.

I dont know if I agree with that or not. When you say torched you make it sound like he was awful, and I never remember him being awful.

I think he was one of those guys that was always under appreciated and underrated. I firmly believe if we had him in his prime now we'd be a lot better off defensively, because none of these guys we have now is anywhere close to as good as he was.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I dont know if I agree with that or not. When you say torched you make it sound like he was awful, and I never remember him being awful.

I think he was one of those guys that was always under appreciated and underrated. I firmly believe if we had him in his prime now we'd be a lot better off defensively, because none of these guys we have now is anywhere close to as good as he was.

He was torched pretty bad his last couple of years here. That was one of the reasons he was let go. His salary no longer matched his level of play. The Detroit game I mentioned earlier is a prime example of how bad he had gotten before he was let go. He was smart to follow Zimmer to Cincy. Zimmer knew how to get the best out of Newman.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He was torched pretty bad his last couple of years here. That was one of the reasons he was let go. His salary no longer matched his level of play. The Detroit game I mentioned earlier is a prime example of how bad he had gotten before he was let go. He was smart to follow Zimmer to Cincy. Zimmer knew how to get the best out of Newman.

He had 9 picks his last two seasons here, I bet our top 3 guys combined don't have 9 picks over the last 3 seasons together.

he also had a career high in tackles in 2010 (next to last yr here) so he wasn't shying away from contact.

He was not "pretty bad"

What we have now- now that's "pretty bad"

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He had 9 picks his last two seasons here, I bet our top 3 guys combined don't have 9 picks over the last 3 seasons together.

he also had a career high in tackles in 2010 (next to last yr here) so he wasn't shying away from contact.

He was not "pretty bad"

I'm still going to have to agree to disagree. He was pretty bad. I'd agree though that the guys we have now are even worse. They are much worse than pretty bad. One advantage Newman had over our CB's now though is that he had a pass rush in front of him. The guys we have now would likely have more picks if they had DWare and Ratliff in their primes playing in this DL.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Please. Newman was light years better than the dogshit we've had at corner the last few years.

Better yes but I don't know about light years better. Newman wasn't exactly Deion Sanders out there. Especially the last few years he was here.

Reaction score

He was not "pretty bad"

Newman was supposed to be a shining star. One pre-draft source called him "often the fastest man on the field". Parcells said "a bomb could go off and Terance would not look away from his WR". But he was boring. That's really the only disappointment. He ONLY did his job. Was not exciting or QB terrifying. (Although he did chase and catch Randy Moss from behind against the Raiders). Granted there were times where he chased and arm tackled and other times where he opted out of direct contact but he was unspectacularly solid. Boringly even, despite having the gifts to be All-Pro.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Newman was supposed to be a shining star. One pre-draft source called him "often the fastest man on the field". Parcells said "a bomb could go off and Terance would not look away from his WR". But he was boring. That's really the only disappointment. He ONLY did his job. Was not exciting or QB terrifying. (Although he did chase and catch Randy Moss from behind against the Raiders). Granted there were times where he chased and arm tackled and other times where he opted out of direct contact but he was unspectacularly solid. Boringly even, despite having the gifts to be All-Pro.

Then there was the time Calvin Johnson gave him a piggy back ride while crossing the end zone.

Top Bottom