cowboys2194

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Austin To Sign 6-Year Extension
Posted by nickeatman at 9/9/2010 4:23 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

We’re about to find out if the Cowboys are ready for the regular season, which starts Sunday.

But they’re certainly ready to make Miles Austin their wide receiver of the future. The Cowboys have agreed to terms on a six-year contract extension for Austin, who is on a one-year contract.

Overall, it's a seven-year contract. Terms of the deal have not been fully disclosed.

Reaction score
Adam_Schefter

Miles Austin on verge of signing six-year, $54 million contract extension. More at ESPN.com

cowboys2194

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Miles Austin signs 6-year extension By Adam Schefter
ESPN

The Dallas Cowboys have signed Pro Bowl wide receiver Miles Austin to a six-year contract extension.

According to two league sources, Austin will earn $57 million over the length of the contract.

"He's going to be around here a long time," Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones said during a teleconference announcing the deal.

Austin signed a $3.168 million contract in June, but Jones had repeatedly said the Cowboys wanted to sign the receiver coming off a breakout season to a long-term deal. That finally came Thursday, three days before the season opener at Washington.

"It feels great to be wanted by this team," Austin said. "It feels great."

Jones said it was important to both sides to get the deal done before the season began.

Austin last season had 81 catches for 1,320 yards, sixth-best in team history and the sixth-best by an undrafted receiver ever in the NFL.

Austin is the third high-profile receiver to receive a lucrative extension this offseason, behind Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall and Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson.

Also, Indianapolis' Reggie Wayne and Philadelphia's DeSean Jackson each have been lobbying for new contracts.

Reaction score
I love rewarding home-grown talent.

Congrats Miles! You earned this, without question.

Now . . . keep earning it. :thumbsup

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This season signals the last for Roy. You cannot carry two contracts like that at the WR position, especially when one of them is underperforming their contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if Roy is traded before the deadline---like how we acquired him.

On a positive note, at least we'll have an even happier Miles Austin on Sunday Night.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Good, Jerry, but don't ever fucking pull a move like the Roy Williams one again you fucking hillbilly.

sbk92

Reaction score
I should have known the con man wasn't smart enough to wait and make Austin back up his whopping one year of being something other than roster fodder.

Horrible decision. You never do this off of one year when you still have the player under contract.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I should have known the con man wasn't smart enough to wait and make Austin back up his whopping one year of being something other than roster fodder.

Horrible decision. You never do this off of one year when you still have the player under contract.

Miles has good character. Roy does not.

We'll be fine with Miles. He's a good guy.

sbk92

Reaction score
Miles has good character. Roy does not.

We'll be fine with Miles. He's a good guy.

I'm not worried about his character. I want to see him play that well for more than one season. I want to see him stay healthy again.

I mean, if he was a free agent at the end of last year, yeah....take the chance and sign him. But we had another year to evaluate and once again your GM shows a severe lack of foresight and plays his hand too soon.

Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this signing.

We rewarded a player who has worked his ass off to get where he is. Nothing in his game suggests he'll be a one-year wonder. Hell . . . the staff that developed him had enough confidence in him to make the decision to release Terrell Owens.

The Cowboys know what they have in Miles Austin.

Not only was it a good signing . . . but it's at a reasonable price.

sbk92

Reaction score
You don't pay off of one year when you have another year to evaluate. It's asinine to do so. It increases the odds of you carrying Marion Barber and Roy Williams type contracts.

There was zero need to do this now. A quality GM knows this.

Reaction score
You don't pay off of one year when you have another year to evaluate. It's asinine to do so. It increases the odds of you carrying Marion Barber and Roy Williams type contracts.

There was zero need to do this now. A quality GM knows this.

You don't have to spend another year evaluating a player who has grown up in your system. Miles is good - we know that. This wasn't a fluke year. Nothing of his performance suggests that.

Waiting only serves to drive the price up . . . and with the number of young talent we have on our team to hopefully sign and/or re-sign . . . that isn't a wise move.

This doesn't even take into consideration the message it sends to the young guys - work hard, and we'll take care of you. And it prevents the contract from being a storyline/distraction going into the season.

Pretty much . . . you're the only person I've heard question this move. But, considering your blind disdain for all things Jerry, I can't say I'm suprised.

Carry on . . .

sbk92

Reaction score
You don't have to spend another year evaluating a player who has grown up in your system. Miles is good - we know that. This wasn't a fluke year. Nothing of his performance suggests that.

Waiting only serves to drive the price up . . . and with the number of young talent we have on our team to hopefully sign and/or re-sign . . . that isn't a wise move.

This doesn't even take into consideration the message it sends to the young guys - work hard, and we'll take care of you. And it prevents the contract from being a storyline/distraction going into the season.

Pretty much . . . you're the only person I've heard question this move. But, considering your blind disdain for all things Jerry, I can't say I'm suprised.

Carry on . . .

Marion Barber was grown up in your system. How did that turn out?

Since when is the Cowboys' system infallible? Who gives a shat that he developed here? Is that special or something? Are we supposed to be comforted that Jerry and Stephen know him well?

I'm supposed to sit here and rely on the Jones' evaluation? Give me a motherfucking break. Two guys who have never in their life built a successful football team on the personnel side.

I don't care if I'm the only one you read with this stance. I'm also one of the few who knew who the hell Miles Austin was when he got here and that he had potential. I'm usually two steps ahead of the pack. The same pack that two years ago said Austin had bum hands and that Sam Hurd was the real talent.

Now, yes, if you can do it right.....signing early can save you money. But it also costs you big time when you're wrong. See Terence Newman and Marion Barber. Two guys stealing money in this league.

The message it sends to the young players is a pile of crap. Nonsense from homers. Players know if they play well, they will be taken care of.

This was a completely idiotic move from an oil salesman who acts entirely on impulse. It could work out this time with Austin, but it'll cost him again in the future. Guaranteed. Because he can not evaluate talent. It's risky for a real personnel guy like Pioli or Polian to do this. With Jerry, it's playing Russian Roulette.

You just paid 9 million a year for 6 years on a guy with one season where he didn't produce like a 4th WR. When you had the option of making him back that up this year and prove he's legit. Austin's never entered a season a starter and never had defenses entering a season game planning against him.

Idiotic. It's feel good for the morons, but if you know the game you know this is bad business.

Reaction score
Marion Barber was grown up in your system. How did that turn out?

The comparison doesn't fly.

Barber didn't produce at the same level as Miles did. Miles was far away one of the best receivers in the league last year, and the statistics showed this. He was near the top of the league at his position on a number of categories. Barber was not.

Barber was paid like one of the best backs in the league when he never performed at that level. He hasn't been able to either, for a number of reasons, to include him simply breaking down (as all punishing runners do) and shoddy run blocking.

Since when is the Cowboys' system infallible? Who gives a shat that he developed here? Is that special or something?

Yes . . . and it's humorous that you fail to see the significance in this.

Our staff, including Jerry, Stephen, the coaches, and the scouts, know him best - from character to performance. We've seen how he's produced in our offense, in our system, with our quarterback, etc.

How many times do we see a free agent have a big contract year, then move on to the highest bidder, never to produce at the level he did that earned his pay day? All the time.

With Austin, we're not dealing with all the changing variables that a free agent would. Ergo, the risk of a '1 year wonder' is significantly less likely.

What . . . you think the guy who had incredible chemistry with Romo . . . the guy who Romo has been saying to watch out for for years . . . the guy who our staff felt so confident with going into the year that they were able to cut bait with Owens . . . is suddenly not going to be able to play?

Get real.

Are we supposed to be comforted that Jerry and Stephen know him well? I'm supposed to sit here and rely on the Jones' evaluation? Give me a motherfucking break. Two guys who have never in their life built a successful football team on the personnel side.

We're a succesful football team now. And those two had a major hand in building it.

I don't care if I'm the only one you read with this stance.

Me neither. I was just pointing it out.

You made a post one time about how you don't find certain people "good reads." Well . . . quite frankly, you you're not a good read yourself. You take this schtick so far it's predictable and boring. I can't even take you serious. And what sucks about it is . . . you weren't always this way. But it's you've built this on line persona, where you try to be the smartest guy in the room, where people who are fans are "idiots", and where everything is either black or white, no inbetween. You're just playing an agenda driven character. Because if you truly believe half the stuff you say, then it's you who's an idiot.

I'm also one of the few who knew who the hell Miles Austin was when he got here and that he had potential.

Wow . . . you have something in common with Jerry, Stephen, and the coaching staff.

They saw enough in him to keep him around and develop him for four years.

Now, yes, if you can do it right.....signing early can save you money. But it also costs you big time when you're wrong. See Terence Newman and Marion Barber. Two guys stealing money in this league.

Barber is stealing money. Newman maybe, but not much. He's still a top 15 corner in the league, and corners are a premium position, so you pay for them.

The message it sends to the young players is a pile of crap. Nonsense from homers. Players know if they play well, they will be taken care of.

Players don't know that. There are plenty of players in this league playing for owners who don't want to spend a dime more than they have to.

Why do you think so many players have great contract years? It's because they know they're auditioning for all the teams out there. The idea of getting paid in free agency motivates them, so they bust their ass. What . . . did you think that phenomemon was a coincidence?

You don't think Jerry and Stephen re-doing these deals (not just Austin, but all the recent deals they've re-worked early) sends a message to the rest of the team? You don't think that serves as motivation?

You're wrong.

This was a completely idiotic move from an oil salesman who acts entirely on impulse. It could work out this time with Austin, but it'll cost him again in the future. Guaranteed. Because he can not evaluate talent. It's risky for a real personnel guy like Pioli or Polian to do this. With Jerry, it's playing Russian Roulette.

You just paid 9 million a year for 6 years on a guy with one season where he didn't produce like a 4th WR. When you had the option of making him back that up this year and prove he's legit. Austin's never entered a season a starter and never had defenses entering a season game planning against him.

Idiotic. It's feel good for the morons, but if you know the game you know this is bad business.

It's kind of funny how on one hand you're preaching about how you knew all along what Miles Austin was, while on the other hand bemoaning this signing because Austin has only done this one year and it's so risky because he might not duplicate his accomplishments.

Typical though . . .

I'll let you have the last word. I have to go watch Cars (again) with my boy. Please be sure and litter your response by calling me an idiot and homer several times. I don't mind. You'll still be my BFF4LYFE.

Top Bottom