NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
The Dallas Morning News Staff reports
Published: 07 July 2012 05:28 PM

Count former New York Giant defensive end Michael Strahan among the skeptics regarding Amani Toomer's proclamation that Tony Romo, not New York's Eli Manning, is the best quarterback in the NFC East.

"You've got to check [Toomer's] house for bath salts," Strahan jokingly said on ESPN Radio this week, referring to the drug that can cause hallucinations.

Earlier this week, Toomer took a surprising stand for Romo rather than his ex-teammate Manning by saying Romo is "statistically" the best quarterback in the division.

"Tony Romo is probably, if you look at it, statistically, he's probably the best quarterback in the NFC East," Toomer said on the "Movin' the Chains" show on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "You look at Eli Manning and what he does in the fourth quarter, but you talk about consistency, talking about 31 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions, that guy (Romo) can play."

Strahan, who played with Toomer in New York for 13 seasons, said his ex-teammate's comments were "surprising to hear," and theorized that Eli Manning's low-key personality is what keeps him from earning the praise Strahan thinks he deserves.

"Somebody's always better than the next, but to me, I just look at what people have done in their careers when it comes to the numbers and the things they’ve done to excel in where they are right now," Strahan said. "I look at Eli, and i think he's the only two-time [Super Bowl] winning quarterback in the league who probably gets less respect than anybody else. Maybe it's his demeanor, maybe it's the way he goes about his business where he's not showy and it's not fancy or extravagant looking. But you know what? Numbers don’t lie. People do.”

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I want everyone to take notice that its all giants players talking about this, former and current.

No one from the cowboys has said anything.

The nygiants. Are obsessed with talking about the cowboys and romo.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
But it was a former Cowboy (Bennett) with intimate knowledge of Tony who sparked the discussion. You can still make the case that Romo is technically/statistically better than Manning, but I won't be as petty as those Zoners who contend that Eli is not "elite."

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
But it was a former Cowboy (Bennett) with intimate knowledge of Tony who sparked the discussion. You can still make the case that Romo is technically/statistically better than Manning, but I won't be as petty as those Zoners who contend that Eli is not "elite."

well I have said all along I think Eli is great. I think the romo eli discussions are stupid. I have know idea why its a story other than its the offseason and romo's name sells and gets attention.

every year someone in ny starts this crap, and every year a few weeks into it espn and the ny papers turn it into the cowboys are talkers, and they keep talking or enough about them. When its never our guys who start this or participate in it.

happens every year.

oh and as far as bennett, its just like when owens and roy williams left. It was always romo and garrett holding them back. Now one is out of the league and the other might as well be....bennett is on the same path. he also made sure to point out that gilbrides offense is way better and more detailed than garrett's, which maybe 100% true he has done a terrific job there.....but still the real point was bennett blaming other people for his own problems.

Reaction score
Tony Romo needs to win a Super Bowl. I need him to do that.

So many people need to be shut up. Myself included at times, as I can be his harshest critic after his brainfart games.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Tony Romo needs to win a Super Bowl. I need him to do that.

So many people need to be shut up. Myself included at times, as I can be his harshest critic after his brainfart games.

thats it.

the team needs to win for this stuff to stop......I posted on twitter to steve dennis and todd archer to do a story on why the cowboys never respond and its always the giants talking and steve responded I feel bad for them its like the big bully picking on the weak kid.....which is sad and true.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Eli Manning is the worst QB of the worst team to win a Super Bowl. FACT!

Giants= worst super bowl winner ever, and that is a fact IMO.

But Manning is not the worst super bowl winning QB ever, by a long shot. Far far worse/lesser QB's have won super bowls.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Giants= worst super bowl winner ever, and that is a fact IMO.

But Manning is not the worst super bowl winning QB ever, by a long shot. Far far worse/lesser QB's have won super bowls.

I'm going with Trent Dilfer.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Eli Manning is the worst QB of the worst team to win a Super Bowl. FACT!

I will not give Eli credit for the first Super Bowl that he won, but I will give him credit for the last one. But at the same time, he is one of the luckiest SOBs out there. Overall, I would give Coughlin more credit than Eli.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I will not give Eli credit for the first Super Bowl that he won, but I will give him credit for the last one. But at the same time, he is one of the luckiest SOBs out there. Overall, I would give Coughlin more credit than Eli.

I think Coughlin will be in the Hall of Fame after he retires.

Too bad we can't attract coaches like him. They know better.

Reaction score

Exactly. A coach like that can attract superior assistants like Kevin Gilbride who reminds me a lot of Dan Henning. Just solid offensive philosophy with a complete understanding of football. No gimmicks, just strong, proven offensive football.

Maybe Callahan can be that guy for Dallas. We'll see. Getting hard to wait for the season to start.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score

Not going to give Eli credit for taking his team down the field late in the 4th quarter against an undefeated team and scoring the go ahead touchdown
Harsh
I hate the guy but I'm realistic

Reaction score
Not going to give Eli credit for taking his team down the field late in the 4th quarter against an undefeated team and scoring the go ahead touchdown
Harsh
I hate the guy but I'm realistic

Drive recap:

1. Throws pass that uncharacteristically goes right through the hands of ball-hawk Asante Samuel. Potential game ender.

2. Throws ridiculous close your eyes and hope for the best pass down the middle of the field that some jackwagon who's not even in the league anymore just miraculously pinned against his head.

3. Throws pass to 6'11 receiver that 5'1" corner decided to bite on a move that didn't even take place for one of the easiest pass + catch in NFL history.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Drive recap:

1. Throws pass that uncharacteristically goes right through the hands of ball-hawk Asante Samuel. Potential game ender.

2. Throws ridiculous close your eyes and hope for the best pass down the middle of the field that some jackwagon who's not even in the league anymore just miraculously pinned against his head.

3. Throws pass to 6'11 receiver that 5'1" corner decided to bite on a move that didn't even take place for one of the easiest pass + catch in NFL history.

4. Leads team to victory in final minutes

5. WINS SUPERBOWL

Until Romo wins a superbowl or makes a big playoff run, he will always be less of a QB than manning.

Reaction score

Sad but true. And not only do they know better, but Jerry wants no part of a strong willed coached.

If it weren't for his desire to build a new stadium, he wouldn't have even brought Parcells on board.

We'll get more Wades and Campos and like it.

Reaction score
4. Leads team to victory in final minutes

5. WINS SUPERBOWL

Until Romo wins a superbowl or makes a big playoff run, he will always be less of a QB than manning.

Well, yeah, if you ignore the whole "team sport" aspect of football.

Because lets be honest, it was Eli Manning that was out there putting Tom Brady on his ass all game long.

Reaction score
Sad but true. And not only do they know better, but Jerry wants no part of a strong willed coached.

If it weren't for his desire to build a new stadium, he wouldn't have even brought Parcells on board.

We'll get more Wades and Campos and like it.

Love your avatar man. I've always been a huge Samuel L. Jackson fan.

Top Bottom