C

Cr122

Cowboys line coach a master craftsman
By Dan McCarney - Express-News Web Posted: 08/01/2010 12:00 CDT

Hudson Houck has nothing left to prove.

Having established himself long ago as one of the best to ever ply his craft, the 67-year-old Dallas Cowboys offensive line coach should be looking forward to a retirement of golf and grandchildren.

At least, his wife Elsie thinks so.

“That's what she asks every day — when are we going to go see the grandkids?” said Houck, known around Valley Ranch as “Hud.”

As long as Houck has knowledge to share, and techniques to teach, and details to obsess over, that day might never come.

“You can only play so much golf,” he said. “I'd rather be out here. I enjoy what I'm doing.”

On the eve of his 45th season of coaching — four in high school, 13 in college, the past 28 in the NFL — Houck's passion shows no sign of abating.

Especially not when his unit, perhaps the one weakness on an offense brimming with talent at the skill positions, could hold the key to Dallas' Super Bowl hopes.

Even before the unexpected release of longtime anchor Flozell Adams, the Cowboys' offensive line faced questions after being shredded for six sacks in the 34-3 playoff loss at Minnesota. With the talented but relatively unproven Doug Free seeking to replace Adams at left tackle, those questions have only intensified.

“It's in the back of our mind, but we need to put that game past us and move on,” left guard Kyle Kosier said. “We can learn from it. There's a lot of little things we can do better.”

The Cowboys couldn't ask for a more accomplished — or demanding — teacher.

Houck's unit with the Los Angeles Rams remains one of the benchmarks for the position, sending four of five starters to the Pro Bowl in 1985. The year before that, it paved the way for Eric Dickerson to set the single-season rushing record, which still stands at 2,105 yards.

Houck had similar success upon moving to the Cowboys in 1993, tutoring six players to a total of 22 Pro Bowl selections as Emmitt Smith won a pair of rushing titles.

Houck's work at less glamorous stops might have been even more impressive.

With San Diego in 2004, he groomed a cast of journeymen and rookies into a cohesive group that helped the Chargers finish sixth in rushing yards and fourth in fewest sacks allowed.

The following season in Miami, Houck helped a similarly underwhelming bunch cut its sacks allowed to 26, exactly half of what the Dolphins allowed the previous year.

He returned to Dallas in 2008, lured in part by the $1 million salary that makes him one of the highest-paid position coaches in the NFL. To Cowboys director of personnel Stephen Jones, it's money well spent.

“He's an elite coach, and he deserves everything he gets,” Jones said. “We're just lucky to have him.”

There is no secret to Houck's success. He stresses technique and effort, hammered home by relentless repetition and an eye for detail that borders on the obsessive.

“We've been doing this stuff for a long time, and he still beats you to death with it,” Kosier said.

Houck insists his linemen know not only their responsibilities, but those of every other player on the field, including the defense.

“We need to know coverages. We need to know shifts and motions,” right tackle Marc Colombo said. “He teaches an overall knowledge of the game.”

Center Andre Gurode said he heard a story that Houck once had two video cameras follow former Cowboys All-Pro Larry Allen for a game — one to record his foot placement, the other his eyes during pass protection.

“He'll work us before, during and after practice,” Gurode said. “There is not a period of rest time.”

Except, apparently, in film study, where Houck fell asleep last year during a session. Though his players still tease him about the incident, they refuse to comment publicly.

“That was a last-year thing,” Gurode said. “We respect the guy, he's a great coach, and we love him.”

That love is mutual with Houck, who got to know ex-Cowboys standout Nate Newton and his family on a personal level. But as soon as he steps on the field, Newton said, “It's business. You got in the film room, and you knew there were going to be some F-bombs.”

So far, though, Houck hasn't had much to curse about.

“I'm approaching it like this is one of the best lines I've been around,” he said. “I'm excited about it. I've been with guys who aren't as good as these guys, and we've been able to mold a group together.”

Houck’s Pro Bowl player résumé

NFL Pro Bowl offensive linemen coached by Hudson Houck (selections in parentheses):

Los Angeles Rams
1983-91
* Jackie Slater (7)
Doug Smith (6)
Kent Hill (3)
Dennis Harrah (3)
Tom Newberry (2)

Dallas Cowboys
1993-2001, 2008-present
Larry Allen (7)
Nate Newton (5)
Erik Williams (4)
Leonard Davis (2)
Ray Donaldson (2)
Andre Gurode (2)
Mark Stepnoski (2)
Mark Tuinei (2)
Flozell Adams (1)

* — Pro Football Hall of Famer

Note: Houck coached at USC from 1976-82, where he developed Anthony Muñoz and Bruce Matthews, both of whom have been selected to the Hall of Fame, and future Pro Bowl players Don Mosebar and Roy Foster.

Top Bottom