Reaction score
Marinelli to Ware: 'Close but no cigar'
September, 12, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Dallas Cowboys defensive line coach Rod Marinelli has earned a reputation as a hard-driving, no-nonsense kind of coach.

However, Marinelli has a sense of humor. In fact, it’s on display in defensive end DeMarcus Ware’s Valley Ranch locker.

A cigar is taped to a piece of paper that was hung in Ware’s locker this week. Marinelli wrote a message that reads, “Close but no cigar,” and is signed, “Your loving coach.”

It was a reference to the fact that, after the coaches reviewed film of the season-opening victory over the New York Giants, Ware was credited with six quarterback pressures yet recorded no sacks in the game.

“Close but no cigar -- that’s one thing he always says,” said Ware, who has 111 sacks in his career. “Get in there quicker, try to worry about getting pressure on the quarterback, getting there faster. That’s why he stuck it in my locker. It’s actually funny to me. It’s a joke. He taunts me a little bit.”

That’s Marinelli’s way of lighting a fire under one of the most productive pass-rushers in NFL history.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is quite odd. Eli is by far one of the more non-athletic QBs, but yet one of the hardest players to sack for the Cowboys and particularly Ware. Ware does a hell of a lot better at sacking the more athletic QBs, like Robert Griffin, Vick, etc.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Reminds of that computer game called "Shifty Sam" from the floppy disk days.

And it would help if Ware wasn't held every other play.

couchscout

Spectator
Reaction score
Haha I like it. Done as a joke, but I'm sure it got under Ware's skin just a little bit. Which is good.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
This is quite odd. Eli is by far one of the more non-athletic QBs, but yet one of the hardest players to sack for the Cowboys and particularly Ware. Ware does a hell of a lot better at sacking the more athletic QBs, like Robert Griffin, Vick, etc.

The Giants O-Line always seems solid. All Eli has to do is stay put so they know where he is and guard that spot. A guard has no idea where is QB his scrambling to if he doesn't stay put.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Eli has definitely mastered the art of the side-step.

He probably got tips from his bro in that department.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I like it as well. Hopefully Marinelli will be the defensive coordinator here when Kiffin retires.

Reaction score
Coach scout joined in September 2012 and waited a year to post? Reluctant?

I don't know what the issue is really, 6 QB pressures and, oh, by the way, Ware intercepted the first pass of the game. He gave them 3 points. The most an individual sack can truly give is two points, I think.

Top Bottom