sbk92

Reaction score
Cowboys Mailbag

Is Rob Ryan the right guy for the defensive coordinator job?

(Editor's Note: Each day we will take the 2 best questions for our staff writers to answer from the Mailbag.)

ARTHUR STEWART - NEW CASTLE, PA: Is Rob Ryan the right guy for the defensive coordinator job?

Rob: From a pure football standpoint, I like it. He seems to have a great defensive mind along with a solid football background. I do understand questions about how his personality would fit on Jason Garrett's staff. The media's pumping him up, in part, because they think he'll make a great quote. Now maybe those questions are unfair because Rob's his own guy and not Rex, and he's already worked for brass-tacks coaches like Bill Belichick. Other than Eric Mangini, he might be the most qualified guy who's available.

Nick: I don't know if any of us can determine who the right candidates are for assistant positions. It's not easy because you have to factor in, not only their own coaching style, but how much they're going to be able to orchestrate that under the umbrella of another head coach. As for Rob Ryan, you can argue that his defenses in Cleveland weren't that great based on rankings, but they did improve from 2009 to 2010. And you'd like to think there is more talent on this defense, giving him more to work with. Overall, I think he'd be a good fit because I think his coaching style and energy would be a good mixture with Jason Garrett's approach.

Josh: I'm not going to pretend I can differentiate Rob Ryan's 3-4 from Romeo Crennel's 3-4 from Santa Claus' 3-4. But he is a 3-4 coach who seemed to catch a lot of folks' eyes in 2010. I think the success and fame his brother has gained with the Jets is a part of it. You're not getting the same guy, but I'm sure they do share a lot of the same philosophies as far as coaching and dealing with players goes.

DAVID FARRIS - ATKINSON, NH: I don't see head coach at UConn as a step up from coordinator with the Cowboys. Why do you think Paul Pasqualoni took the job?

Rob: Although he was still considered a candidate, I'm skeptical Pasqualoni would have been the full-time defensive coordinator here. If that was the case, then go ahead and promote him like Garrett was. So if he went back to being a position coach, the UConn job would be a step up. It's head coach of a Big East, BCS program. And don't forget Pasqualoni, 61, is the former long-time Syracuse coach and a Connecticut native. That's home up there.

Nick: Personally, I think it is a step up. Becoming a head coach of a successful college program that just went to a BCS game, yeah that's a step up in my opinion. And it's definitely a step up from an NFL defensive line coach position, which was technically his title after the season ended. He coached 13 seasons at Syracuse, so Pasqualoni knows that area. Obviously he wanted to get back as a head coach. And with the uncertainty of a lockout, coaches don't know what their status will be. In this case, the college route might make more sense. I think it's a great move for him and I hope he does well.

Josh: Well, I think it is a step up. You've got to remember that most coaches and players haven't been bred as Cowboys fans, so just being a part of this organization isn't necessarily a prestigious thing for them. He's in full control at UConn as the head coach, probably a job he's wanted to get back since they let him go at Syracuse, and that's really his neck of the woods up there.

Reaction score
I would have to assume that if Ryan came in here, he'd replace everyone already on staff.

That would be a good thing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I would have to assume that if Ryan came in here, he'd replace everyone already on staff.

That would be a good thing.

Co-signed

Although if you were Sacamano, I'd say I dont agree

C

Cr122

You would think we would of heard something about his interview today.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You would think we would of heard something about his interview today.

There's a post in CZ that says Jay Glazer came on and said Ryan "wowed" the Cowboys.

I'm skeptical though becasue there's seevral posts 2 hours later that said Ryan was still at VR with Garrett, so dont know how Glazer knew that or if somebody just made it up.

C

Cr122

There's a post in CZ that says Jay Glazer came on and said Ryan "wowed" the Cowboys.

I'm skeptical though becasue there's seevral posts 2 hours later that said Ryan was still at VR with Garrett, so dont know how Glazer knew that or if somebody just made it up.

I'll wait for a link.

Top Bottom