Reaction score
Kirk Cousins reportedly would only accept a trade to the 49ers

2/28/2017 7:55:48 AM

Tomorrow is the deadline for team's to designate franchise players and the Redskins and Kirk Cousins saga still drags on. The team truly likes Cousins. But the leverage Cousins enjoys isn’t about to change, and the Redskins clearly aren’t prepared to pay him what he thinks he can get, John Keim of ESPN.com reports.

That’s why with all the options as to what can happen if he’s tagged by Wednesday’s deadline, one has a higher percentage of happening: a trade. The NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah said last week that he thought there was a better chance that Cousins would be traded than that he would return. It’s hard to argue against that, and some close to Cousins say that’s what the Redskins want to do anyway, knowing that signing him to a long-term deal will be difficult. It may even be impossible, given their different positions on what his ability is worth.

As of now, some in his camp view any deal reached at the July 15 deadline as an impossibility. It certainly would take an increased offer by Washington. I don’t know that this is a universal opinion in Cousins’ camp, but the point is that based on the Redskins’ actions to date, there’s no reason to believe their offer will increase that much. They clearly view him as good, not great. And there’s no reason for Cousins to lower what he believes he should get.

There’s also the matter of past slights still bugging Cousins, including an initial offer last offseason of $12 million per year with low guarantees. It was bad at the time; it’s ridiculous now. Had the Redskins given him $18 million per year – before the Brock Osweiler deal with Houston – with solid guarantees, then there’s a good chance he would have signed (but impossible to truly know). That deal would look mighty good now.

The Redskins’ problem is that there’s only one team Cousins will sign with right now, according to one source: San Francisco. So Washington doesn’t have much bargaining power with other teams. This isn’t just about Cousins maximizing his financial value; it’s about putting himself in the best position. Reuniting with a coach (Kyle Shanahan) who loves you in an offense you love? That’s a win-win for Cousins. But it's a tough way for the Redskins to maximize his trade value on the market.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Is anyone else surprised they don't just pay Cousins? He's gotten a lot better and is pretty good now. I know the prices are insane, but that's what the market is. And what else are they going to do for a QB anyway?

Reaction score
Redskins linebacker Trent Murphy is facing a four-game PED suspension

Mar 6
Washington Redskins outside linebacker Trent Murphy is facing a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancement drugs, Master Tesfatsion of the Wahington Post reports. This according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation. The suspension is currently being appealed by Murphy. If upheld, he would miss the first four games of the 2017 NFL season.

Redskins senior vice president of communications Tony Wyllie declined comment Sunday evening and deferred to the NFL and the NFL Players Association. The NFL also declined and the players’ union did not respond to an email request.

Murphy, 26, had a breakout season in 2016, recording a career-high nine sacks and three forced fumbles in 16 games, as part of a three-man pass rushing rotation for Washington with Ryan Kerrigan and Preston Smith. He had recorded six sacks and three forced fumbles in 31 games during his first two seasons with the Redskins.

Selected in the second round out of Stanford in 2014 during a draft in which the Redskins did not have a first round pick, Murphy hadn’t lived up to expectations during the start of his career as an outside linebacker. He was effective against the run but struggled as a pass rusher, finishing with just 3.5 sacks in 14 starts during the 2015 season.

Reaction score
Is anyone else surprised they don't just pay Cousins? He's gotten a lot better and is pretty good now. I know the prices are insane, but that's what the market is. And what else are they going to do for a QB anyway?
I'm shocked at how they're handling him to be honest. He's not an elite level QB yet, but the last half of this season he was easily a top 10 performer IMO. He did way more than Tannehill ever did to get his deal. Maybe they're learning from those mistakes, and I don't know if he's trying to be the highest paid QB in the game or anything... but it more seems like they're uncertain of giving him a long term deal, and I think he's earned that at least.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Remember when the chicken little's announced the Cowboys were forever after thoughts in the NFC East now because the Redskins hired this guy?

Well.....

Ian Rapoport
✔ ‎@RapSheet

Scot McCloughan was fired because of a relapse related to alcohol, the Post reports. Hopefully the brilliant mind gets help.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Too bad alcohol has him by the balls, he appears to have special talent at evaluating players

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's out there, probably more at CZ than it was here, we don't have any activity.

They had "their real football man" and "he's going to make the Redskins perennial contenders"

Did he draft any really good players in his two years or so there? WR Josh Doctson could end up being good but his rookie year didn't tell anyone much. Anyone else?

Reaction score
Doug Williams is also a GM candidate.

Seems like a 'bringing back Joe Gibbs' move. Bring a fan favorite back to appease the fans and take some heat off the front office. Then again, maybe Williams would be a good candidate. All I know is he won a SB with them and then I think was a college coach at an all black school. Not sure what he's been doing since that would qualify him as a GM.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I heard Scot McCloughan's dismissal might have been more due to the Redskins mgt disfunction than Scotts drinking

If McCloughan's drinking isn't out of control, I wish the Cowboys would tuck him away somewhere behind the scenes and tap into his skill set which I've heard is pretty impressive when it comes to talent evaluation

Reaction score
I've not really been following the story at all, but out of boredom the other day I went to Extremeskins and read a little bit. That place used to be on par with CZ when it came to idiot fans and homers, but I was really surprised at how negative a lot of posters were.

Also looked for Art but couldn't find his username. He was always a trip.

Top Bottom