cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
http://tracking.si.com/2013/06/25/lions-sign-former-bears-dl-israel-idonije/?xid=nl_siextra

By Kimie Bunyasaranand

The Lions have signed defensive lineman Israel Idonije to a one-year contract, reports ProFootballTalk:

The 6-foot-6, 275-pound Idonije looks like a solid fit for Detroit. He made starts at left end and defensive tackle for Chicago in 2012, and such flexibility will suit him well playing for Lions DL coach Jim Washburn, a proponent of rotating linemen to keep them fresh.

The Lions lost defensive ends Cliff Avril (through free agency) and Kyle Vanden Bosch (who was released), so Idonije will join a new group of defensive ends — Jason Jones, a former Seahawk who can play defensive end and defensive tackle, and rookie Ezekiel Ansah, the No. 5 overall pick in the draft.

Idonije, 32, had 48 tackles and 7.5 sacks in 16 games (11 starts) with the Bears last season. He had spent the entirety of his nine-year career in Chicago.

Reaction score
I don't understand why we didn't give him a look.

Clearly the way we've operated this offseason, it appears as though the staff is comfortable with our defensive line depth. I don't agree with this, and I don't understand it.

But, I'm going to stop bitching about it and put my trust in Rod Marinelli. I'm hoping these decisions are based off of things he's seen on film on our young guys, and not because of our own cap constraints or disinterest in trench players from the front office level.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
48 tackles and 7.5 sacks in 16 games (11 starts) is solid.

It's OK. We have Jerome Long. 0 tackles, 0 sacks, in 0 games played.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
what if there were an alternate universe where we signed him and you guys also got to criticize us for signing an almost 33 year old who averages 2.8 sacks a season? DCxU. I think everyone would be pretty stoked on that.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I think they've legitimately convinced themselves that the only thing holding back the defense was injuries and scheme.

Dallas swings too far in extremes. From refusing to play rookies/young guys to only playing them and being concerned about progress stoppers.

Teams that win always find cheap veteran depth

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
what if there were an alternate universe where we signed him and you guys also got to criticize us for signing an almost 33 year old who averages 2.8 sacks a season? DCxU. I think everyone would be pretty stoked on that.

It's about last season, not what he's done over his career.

It's still better than 0, 0, and 0 according to my math.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think they've legitimately convinced themselves that the only thing holding back the defense was injuries and scheme.

Dallas swings too far in extremes. From refusing to play rookies/young guys to only playing them and being concerned about progress stoppers.

Teams that win always find cheap veteran depth
Correct.

We are back in the mindset that things are "set"...just like the Phillips days.

That is why we bring in thirty year old second year players and schlubs that you could cut tomorrow and nobody signs.

They have convinced themselves about this roster...even beyond the starting level.

Top Bottom