sbk92

Reaction score
By Rainer Sabin / Reporter

More than two decades ago, the career of former Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin had been temporarily derailed after he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in October 1989.

The man that helped guide him through the rehabilitation process was Mike Woicik, the team's strength and conditioning coach. Woicik offered words of encouragement that lifted Irvin's spirits during a period that proved trying for a player whose future seemed uncertain. Years later, Woicik is back with the Cowboys, working in the same capacity.

Since his return last month, Woicik has reached out to another young, injured receiver who just so happens to wear the same number that adorned Irvin's old jersey. That player is Dez Bryant, who fractured his ankle Dec. 5 during a kickoff return against Indianapolis.

"The day that I met him and the conversations that we had, I felt like we clicked right then and there," Bryant said Wednesday outside George Peabody Elementary School, where a newly-renovated library was being commemorated. "I love working with him. I really feel like he wants me to get better. He's really helping me in my rehab. We're going strong."

The impression Woicik has made has been considerable, according to offensive tackle Sam Young, who added that "anytime you've got a guy who has six Super Bowl rings, you're going to listen to him."

Like Young, Bryant has developed a rapport with Woicik in the weeks since the 54-year-old strength guru rejoined the Cowboys after spending 11 seasons with the New England Patriots.

During that time, Bryant's condition has improved to the point that he has started jogging on a treadmill. But Bryant added he has yet to run "at full speed," and doesn't anticipate he will be able to sprint at full capacity for another month.

"We're taking this process slowly," he said.

In the coming days, however, Bryant's rehabilitation habits will probably change when a lockout is expected to ensue. After all, he will be prohibited from working with Woicik or any other member of the Cowboys' staff. But Bryant will not be idle. He plans to head to New Orleans to train with Duke Rousse, whose clientele includes several NFL stars including Darren Sharper.

All the while, Bryant said he will continue to draw inspiration from Irvin's story of recovery. It's a tale, Bryant knows, that Woicik helped make possible.

casmith07

Spectator
Reaction score
This is great news...I think Mike Woicik will have a huge impact on our team's conditioning this season.

Top Bottom