Reaction score
I love Emmitt Smith. he is one of my favorite players of all time. We can't just throw Barry Sanders out of the conversation as one of the greatest of all time.

For Laz to sit here and repeatedly come up with every excuse in the book to diminish Sanders is borderline retarded. Say what you will about him, but you can't argue that he was a product of a system, and the only reason that he was so good is because he ran against the nickle. As another poster said, Its a sure bet that opposing coaches had an pretty good idea that Barry was gonna get some touches. And to say that the only reason he had a 2K season is zone blocking is just as silly. Barry Sanders was a phenomenal back.

And Laz, you can argue that Emmitt made his teammates better all day, and you would be right. And to that end Michael Irvin made Emmitt better. Troy Aikman made Irvin better. Charles Haley made Tony Tolbert better. But to use the argument that Emmitt made his teammates better, but Sanders' teammates made him better is laughable. There is no amount of arguing you can do that will make anyone believe that. Any success the Lions had was because of Barry Sanders. Not Herman Moore, Brett Periman, Johnny Morton, Scott Mitchell, Rodney Peete, Erik Kramer, or any other Lion. It was Sanders.

That said, SBK is 100 percent right. What made Emmitt great was what he did in the big game, and he had more heart than any running back that I've ever seen. Just don't discount other great players.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I thought this Emmitt vs. Barry thing died like 8 years ago.

I wonder what would have happened if Barry and Emmitt switched teams day one.

Barry was one badass mfer. Emmitt was too, but couldn't do the things Barry could.

To Emmitt's credit he could do some things Barry couldn't do. Help his team win comes to mind.

Top Bottom