C

Cr122

Lack of depth at quarterback could be Dallas Cowboys' undoing

12:31 AM CDT on Friday, July 30, 2010
SportsDayDFW.com
Dallas Morning News writer Gerry Fraley and David Moore chatted with fans and answered questions about the Cowboys during their training camp in San Antonio on Thursday. Here are some highlights:

Is Alan Ball getting the hang of his new safety position?

Moore: Dave Campo said yesterday that Ball is enrolled in free safety 101 and is on his way to 201. They believe he is getting a better feel for the position in this camp. One thing they have to do is pull him back off the line. He's so aggressive, he creeps closer, but with his speed, Campo wants him to stay back.

Fraley: Ball needs work. To do that, he is not taking any time at corner.

If Tony Romo sustains a serious injury, do you believe we have the backups in place to get into the playoffs?

Fraley: No. Few if any teams have that at quarterback.

Moore: It depends on how long Romo is out. Can Kitna keep the Cowboys competitive for three to four weeks? Sure. Not sure you could say the same if you're talking for a couple of months.

How has Jon Kitna looked?

Fraley: Up and down, but it's hard for a quarterback to look stellar when behind a second-team line.

Moore: Kitna has not looked all that good. He will get a lot of work in the pre-season since the Cowboys have that extra game.

What about Miles Austin? How's his camp going? You think he's going to pickup where he left off?

Fraley: No reason to expect a decline. His numbers should be higher with 16 starts over 12 last season.

Moore: Not sure if Austin will match the numbers he had last season because this offense has more weapons and should be more balanced. That being said, he put up those numbers primarily in 12 games. Still, I think you’ll see the ball spread around a little bit more

Will the Cowboys lead the league in points scored?

Fraley: No. New Orleans will. And maybe in points allowed, too. Saints are gamblers on defense.

Moore: The Cowboys have the ability to lead the league in points scored, but they must do a better job in the red zone. It also depends on how the game unfolds. If they jump to big early leads, I think they will be content to run the ball more than the Saints, and that will keep the scoring down

Does John Phillips have a shot at overtaking Martellus Bennett at the TE position?

Fraley: It would take a real knockout by Phillips. Jerry Jones remains enamored with Bennett because of his skills.

Moore: I think Marty B. watching Phillips make play after play in these practices on routes he doesn't run that crisply should get the point across as to what Marty B. needs to do when he returns.

Any belief Marcus Spears will be offered a contract extension this pre-season? His versatility seams like a need across the D-line.

Fraley: No sense of that, but you're right about his value. Spears is a valuable commodity. I'm always amazed at how outsiders view him as a disappointment. Watch him work in a game. Don't look at stats.

Moore: Spears will not get a contract extension

What are your thoughts on Jason Williams?

Fraley: Hasn't been on the field enough to make a call. Williams does have an amazing first step on the pass rush. Looks as if he is beating the snap count. He’s that quick.

Moore: Williams has great speed, but he appears to be out of position too often. That's why the edge goes to Lee at that nickel linebacker position at this stage

During team drills, is there any effort by our offensive lineman to get to the next level and help with run blocking? I would love to see Free and other lineman legally blocking downfield on the next level.

Fraley: Free is relentless in that aspect. He never gives up on a play. The game escapes me, but he went about 25 yards across the field to make a second block last season. Cowboys RT, on that line of thought, Gurode really seemed to have trouble getting to the second level last season. Thought he had the worst year of the OL.

Reaction score
Wait . . . so if we somehow lose our starting quarterback, we might suffer?

~gasp~

I bet were the only team in the league with this problem.

C

Cr122

Wait . . . so if we somehow lose our starting quarterback, we might suffer?

~gasp~

I bet were the only team in the league with this problem.

No shit, I can name 20 or more teams with the same problem.

Top Bottom