bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Kavner: Coaches’ Faith In D-Line Even More Evident Now

Posted 2 hours ago

Rowan Kavner
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – One player can play a significant role in determining the success of this year’s draft for the Cowboys, and he’s not even one of the draft picks.

Dallas passed on a falling Sharrif Floyd, considered by many to be the top defensive line prospect in the draft. The coaching staff, particularly defensive line coach Rod Marinelli and defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, were confident in the group they had, including the move of Jason Hatcherfrom a 3-4 defensive end inside to a one-technique defensive tackle.

The Hatcher move came as a surprise to many outside the organization, but if he can succeed and excel in his new role, it could justify passing on the talented Florida lineman, whose career will otherwise be forever connected to the Cowboys by a flummoxed fan base.

The coaches’ confidence in the defensive line group on that draft day continues to be evident now, as the Cowboys passed on free agent defensive lineman Israel Idonije, who signed Tuesday with the Lions. Idonije spent the last four seasons with Marinelli in Chicago, amassing 23 sacks during that time.

Marinelli knows Idonije better than any coach in the NFL. Marinelli and Kiffin also know what to look for to put together a strong defensive line, and clearly believe they have all they need as starters already in Dallas.

“There’s a lot of competition, no doubt about it there is, and there’s no doubt that’s probably where our depth is right now, is with our defensive line,” Kiffin said.

If Hatcher can hold up in the middle and if Jay Ratliff can stay healthy next to him, the front office could be justified in passing on Floyd, who likely will start his career as a backup for the Vikings. They also obviously need Travis Frederick to earn a starting job for years to come.

From the early looks thus far, Hatcher and Ratliff will man the inside, backed up by Sean Lissemoreand Ben Bass, while Anthony Spencer and DeMarcus Ware will occupy the outside, backed up byTyrone Crawford and Kyle Wilber. All the recent staff decisions further indicate how content Marinelli and Kiffin are with those moves.

Whether or not they’re right could mean the
difference in wins and losses this season. All the while, Floyd’s career will be closely monitored.

If they succeed in their assessment, no one will look back with disdain at the trade to get a late first- and third-round pick to secure Frederick andTerrance Williams.

If they’re wrong, it’ll be impossible to squash the questioning on the decision to pass on Floyd and other coveted defensive line free agents this offseason.

Reaction score
and there’s no doubt that’s probably where our depth is right now, is with our defensive line

You're making it real hard for me to give you the benefit of the doubt when you say shit like this.

Reaction score
I mean... I hope they're right. But just without any effort I could name the following positions as having more depth:

Corner
Tight End
Wide Receiver
Running back
Linebacker

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Marinelli knows Idonije better than any coach in the NFL. Marinelli and Kiffin also know what to look for to put together a strong defensive line, and clearly believe they have all they need as starters already in Dallas.

I'm tired of this fucking argument.

Reaction score
Just because the team didn't do much to address the DL doesn't mean that the team doesn't see DL as a relative weakness.

Could be that the team thought that other weakness were more pressing or easier to address.

I have a triple negative in that first sentence. I'm not unimpressed by it.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
You're making it real hard for me to give you the benefit of the doubt when you say shit like this.

I am starting to doubt these old bastards are doing anything more than sucking up to Jerry and saying what he wants to hear. The rushing defense just about stunk as bad as the rushing offense last year with the same players. It reminds me of Callahan's big talk about the oline talent right after he arrived. The same talent that broke records for the poorest rushing attack in team history. Callahan got a promotion out of it and it makes me wonder what the old guys are going to get when the dline fails.

Top Bottom