Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said suspended defensive tackle Josh Brent is getting closer to returning to the practice field.

Brent will continue to work on the side but is eligible to start practicing next week. There's an expectation Brent will travel with the team when it plays against Jacksonville on Nov. 9 in London.

"Anticipate him doing football, but [Wednesday] we’re going to have more of a jog through mode in practice," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said late Tuesday. "So probably he'll work on the side just to get more physical work and then work back into practice next week."

Brent is eligible to play against the New York Giants Nov. 23, but he's not guaranteed to return then.

The Cowboys have to evaluate his conditioning and while it appears he's lost some weight, making him a likely part of the defensive line rotation if he plays.

"Well we've just got to see how he practices," Garrett said. "Really, the big thing for him is just physical conditioning, and a big part of that is his weight. He’s done a good job of working to get his weight down, but that weight has to continue to come down. We really have hurdles that you have to go over with guys that are coming back from injury or guys who have been away. It’s working on the side, getting yourself where you can do metabolics, which is simulation of playing football, and then you go into practice, you’re limited and then you do more extensive work. He’ll go through that practice just like everybody else would."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Would really be surprised if they see enough out of him in the next few weeks to warrant putting him on the roster.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I bet he plays after the bye at the latest...

Who's he going to replace, barring an injury?

Everyone says Marinelli loves Nick Hayden, and Hayden has been starting for almost a year and a half. He isn't replacing Henry Melton or Tyron Crawford. That leaves Terrell McClain, who has looked a little better the past two games since getting healthy.

I cant see them keeping 5 DT's active on game day, and they arnt going to move Crawford or Melton permanently to DE either.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Fair enough, dbair, though you have to find a way if he's more talented than Hayden and probably even McClain. You could probably eliminate one of those spare ends since Crawford can play there.

I mean, they didn't go to all this trouble to never get him on the roster.

Reaction score
I doubt he makes any impact on this team

Agreed. He was becoming a slightly better than average stuffer who occasionally got penetration. But that was like two years ago.

Although I will say, if anyone can get him to perform, it's Marinelli.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Fair enough, dbair, though you have to find a way if he's more talented than Hayden and probably even McClain. You could probably eliminate one of those spare ends since Crawford can play there.

I mean, they didn't go to all this trouble to never get him on the roster.

Garrett said he still had a lot of weight to lose too.

Top Bottom