Reaction score
Joey Harrington seriously injured in bicycle accident

Tue Aug 02 10:08am EDT
Joey Harrington seriously injured in bicycle accident

By Chris Chase

Former No. 3 pick Joey Harrington was seriously injured on Sunday night when a bicycle he was riding was hit by an SUV.

Harrington remains in a Portland, Ore., hospital with a broken collar bone, punctured lung and a cut on his head. The injuries are not life threatening and the former Detroit Lions quarterback is expected to be released on Tuesday.

He suffered the injuries after an SUV ran into him from behind. Harrington was biking home in an area without bike lanes when the driver, a 26-year-old man, drove too close and hit him. The man stayed with Harrington after the accident and cooperated with authorities. He later was cited for following too close.

Harrington's father said his son was wearing a helmet and was extremely lucky that the injuries weren't worse.

"The impact … put him up on the top of the car," John Harrington said. "Joey ended up upside down and came down on his head and shoulder and then skidded off to the side."

In his six-year NFL career, Harrington accumulated a 26-50 record, throwing for 79 touchdowns and 85 interceptions. He was drafted with the third pick of the 2002 NFL draft but never could recapture the magic he had at the University of Oregon. He led the Ducks to a 25-3 record during his career and a win in the 2001 Fiesta Bowl.

Harrington last played in the NFL in 2007 when he went 3-7 with the Atlanta Falcons.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
I feel for the guy. That is some pain when you puncture a lung. I could add a horrible joke here now about even after his career is over people are still sacking him from the blind side, but I think that would just be over the top so I won't.

Top Bottom