bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Blame Romo for upheaval in Dallas

Offseason organizational changes point directly to QB's failure in big games

Updated: January 16, 2013, 8:23 AM ET
By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The more you think about it, this is all Tony Romo's fault.

Jerry's Jones' rage. Jason Garrett's future. The Dallas Cowboys missing the playoffs for the fourth time in five seasons.

Blame Romo. For all of it.

Is that fair? Absolutely.

Romo had one of the worst seasons of his career in 2012, but he's still going to sign another long-term deal worth $60-$80 million this offseason.

The reality is, directly or indirectly, Romo is the reason the Cowboys fired running backs coach Skip Peete and defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. He's the reason Garrett and newly-hired defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin are the only souls on the staff with zero questions about their job status, even though we all know Garrett is on the NFL's hottest seat these days.

The legion of apologists can make any excuse it wants, but Romo had the ball in his hands 71 yards from exhilaration -- 40 yards from a legit opportunity at overtime -- with 3:06 and three timeouts left to make it happen.

Six seconds later, Romo had thrown yet another indiscriminate pass leading to a catastrophic interception by Washington Redskins linebacker Rob Jackson, who was covering DeMarco Murray near the left sideline.

Heartbreak. Again.

The melancholy expression. The soft voice. The pledges to improve. We've seen and heard it many times.

Romo's last game of the season was a sorry three-interception performance from start to finish, completely unexpected for a dude who had thrown 17 touchdowns and just three interceptions in the previous seven games.

Now, we can add the Washington debacle to the dropped snap in Seattle and the win-and-get-in butt-kickings against the Philadelphia Eagles in 2008 and the New York Giants last season.

Sigh.

The difference between 9-7 and 8-8 is the difference between getting a tooth pulled and a root canal. Or a yacht and a bass boat. Think about how different the franchise's direction would be if Romo had led the Cowboys to their sixth come-from-behind win in the fourth quarter this season.

Just getting into the playoffs would mean so much to a moribund franchise that's 128-128 since 1997. We're talking about a team that's just one of three franchises -- Washington and Detroit are the others -- not to play in an NFC championship game since 1997.

Romo is your quarterback for the foreseeable future, so you might as well get used to the idea, but his performance betrayed Garrett's trust in him -- and that's a problem.

Garrett trusts Romo implicitly. He coddles the quarterback. My lasting image of the duo this season is watching Garrett sidle up to Romo after the Giants' Jason Pierre-Paul returned Romo's third interception of the first half for a touchdown and a 23-0 lead.

Garrett slipped his arm around Romo's waist and whispered sweet nothings to him. Sometimes, you dole out a hug and a kiss. Other times, more forceful language is required.

Hey, it couldn't hurt.

Romo remains a quality quarterback. That's not worth debating.

Check with the GMs in Philadelphia, Minnesota, Arizona, Buffalo, Miami, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Oakland and Kansas City -- and the New York Jets, whenever they hire one -- and each would sell their soul for Romo.

You can't be a bad quarterback with a touchdown/interception differential of +86 and a career passer rating of 95.6.

The game, however, has always been about more than numbers. Romo has set a litany of passing records for the Cowboys, but there's only number we care about in Dallas-Fort Worth: one playoff win.

Romo needs a head coach or an offensive coordinator who will build an offense and consistently create game plans that don't require him to be the epicenter.

It should be clear to all involved that he can't handle that responsibility over 16 games.

That means a quality running game and offensive line so Romo doesn't have to throw the ball 40 times a game for the Cowboys to win. The more times Romo throws the ball, the higher the propensity for Romo to make one of those mind-numbing mistakes.

The Cowboys lost each of the three games in which Romo threw for 400 yards. They were 3-5 when he threw the ball more than 40 times.

It's not a coincidence.

At 32 after nine seasons and 93 starts in his career, it's fair to assume Romo will be a gunslinger until the day he retires.

You wonder how many head coaches and assistants will lose their jobs along the way.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He's the worse when it comes to sports "writers", and that's saying quite a bit.

The Dallas sportswriters are as bad as the team itself.

Reaction score
Didn't read. Ridiculous notion.

Sure, Romo plays like a tard in big games, but we wouldn't even be in big games if not for Romo.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think Ryan would have been gone regardless?

Seemed like the entire point of the article was to draw a connection between Romo's failure and the actual changes that were made only he forgot to do any of that.

The Cowboys lost each of the three games in which Romo threw for 400 yards. They were 3-5 when he threw the ball more than 40 times.

It's not a coincidence.

Why do you think Ryan is fired assbag? Because we had the 29th ranked pass d in the league and even when Romo went off it wasn't good enough.

Reaction score
Romo needs a head coach or an offensive coordinator who will build an offense and consistently create game plans that don't require him to be the epicenter.

This I agree with. Give Romo an OL and a running game. Then Romo will be sufficient.

VAcowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think Ryan would have been gone regardless?

Seemed like the entire point of the article was to draw a connection between Romo's failure and the actual changes that were made only he forgot to do any of that.

Why do you think Ryan is fired assbag? Because we had the 29th ranked pass d in the league and even when Romo went off it wasn't good enough.

QBs are paid according to expectation. It's not enough to play great during the season. If you're paid like a franchise player, you have to play like a franchise player when the chips are down. So Romo plays great for 15 games. If he throws three INTs during the 16th game, when a win means a division championship and a spot in the playoffs, what does all his spectacular play during the regular season get you? Not a damn thing. I realize the OL sucks and the defense can't hold a lead, but I'm sorry. Romo doesn't get a pass from me. When the outcome of a game means moving on or going home, Romo sucks.

Having said all that, I also think blaming Tony Romo for Rob Ryan's mediocrity is plain stupid. The irony to me is that as much as teams played ahead of the Cowboys this season, the Dallas D was still 4th worst in the league against the pass. I guess that's Romo's fault, too.

Last edited:

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
at the same time over the course of the season, after starting 3-6, there were all sorts of games where the outcome pretty much meant win or go home, and Romo was brilliant.

It's honestly really, really, really fucking simple.

If you get a performance like we got out of Romo this year, statistically (90+ QB rating) you will make the playoffs about 100% of the time if you can allow a QB rating that is at least in the top half of the league. For Romo's career I believe we have only ever done that once, in 2007. The rest of the time we are at or near the bottom of the league.

VAcowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
at the same time over the course of the season, after starting 3-6, there were all sorts of games where the outcome pretty much meant win or go home, and Romo was brilliant.

It's honestly really, really, really fucking simple.

If you get a performance like we got out of Romo this year, statistically (90+ QB rating) you will make the playoffs about 100% of the time if you can allow a QB rating that is at least in the top half of the league. For Romo's career I believe we have only ever done that once, in 2007. The rest of the time we are at or near the bottom of the league.

It's even simpler than that: Beat Washington and you win the division.

Top Bottom