Reaction score
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 11, 2013, 6:02 AM EST

Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin could do nothing to stop the Saints’ offense on Sunday night, while Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan’s defense held the Cowboys in check. After the game, Cowboys owner and General Manager Jerry Jones admitted that his decision to fire Ryan and hire Kiffin is now open to criticism.

“We thought it was best for us to go in the direction we are, and it doesn’t look good right now,” Jones said. “Hopefully we can make it look good, but I have all the feelings you have any time you look back at a decision, and I realize when some of them work you have to have a few things go along with it.”

Jones credited Ryan for getting the Saints’ defense ready.

“I thought Rob’s defense was outstanding. They got after us good,” Jones said. “This is not only a tough place to play, but we know, where we are right now with our personnel on defense, we’ve got to go out and score. We’ve got to get in there and score some points. To their credit, they didn’t let us keep our offense out there.”

Although Sunday night’s loss stung, Jones said he still hopes the Cowboys can face the Saints again in the playoffs, and have a better showing.

“It’s embarrassing to lose, it’s embarrassing to not be representative, not be competitive – all of those things. But more importantly, the real issue, can we do something about it,” Jones said. “Can we get in here and use this time off, get some of our guys back, get a little healthier, come up with some ideas of how to go against the rest of the schedule and see if we can have a happier day this year – not next year but this year.”

Dallas does still lead the NFC East. But unless the Cowboys get a whole lot better, a playoff rematch with the Saints would not be pretty.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
How many other owners and/or GMs have comments like this right after the game?

Reaction score
Everyone was worried about whether Kiffin could stop the read option. We could only be so lucky for him not to be able to stop just that. Turns out, he can't stop anything.

They cut to him once last night in the press box and I think he was asleep.

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
Everyone was worried about whether Kiffin could stop the read option. We could only be so lucky for him not to be able to stop just that. Turns out, he can't stop anything.

They cut to him once last night in the press box and I think he was asleep.

lol

Reaction score
Grrrr Jerry Jones gonna make things uncomfortable around Valley Ranch this offseason Grrrr!

Well... What do we do now, Lacewell?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
ya_think_14.jpg

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I may not watch another game this season. What's the point? We're a joke.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Meh. Had Ryan been coaching our D last night, the result would have been roughly the same.

Reaction score
Sorry Jerry, it's the front office and lack of talent scouting that's setting all these coaches up for failure.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm not impressed with Rob Ryan. When you have an offense with a QB like Brees, and an HC like Payton, it's easy for a defense to pin their ears back.

I think the Saints' defense under Gregg Williams was better than the current Saints' defense, even though Williams defense gave up more yards and probably more points than Ryan's D. Williams' D was opportunistic, and generally led the league in forced turnovers--- particularly the year they won the Super Bowl. In creating those turnovers, Brees would convert on them, to where it didn't matter that Williams' D gave up so many yards and points.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
There was only room for one colorful football personality in Dallas (Jerry). That's one of the reasons why Ryan had to go.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
You can bet Kiffin will be the next Ryan by season's end. He is only on a one year contract, so Jerry can say he tried and move on from Kiffin, leaving Kiffin as this year's scapegoat.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I still think Garrett is done here but if Jerry were to be dumb enough to keep him around one more year, I would expect this scenario:

Bill Callahan scapegoated
Monte Kiffin "retires"
Rod Marinelli promoted to DC
Jerome Henderson possibly scapegoated for horrible DB play slash lack of improvement in Claiborne aka Deion 2.0

and a lot of talk how awesome Tyrone Crawford, Ben Bass, and Matt Johnson are.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Remember this? That is about the time I started to lose all hope.

Jones also cleared up a comment he made during an interview on NBC in which he said he would fire himself as GM given the Cowboys' record the last few years.

"It's real clear," Jones said. "I was asked the question, 'If you were an owner and you had a general manager, would you make a change?' Under those circumstances, I speculated that I would probably have made a change, but that's not our situation.

"To change, I'd have to change myself. People don't do that".

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Remember this? That is about the time I started to lose all hope.

Jones also cleared up a comment he made during an interview on NBC in which he said he would fire himself as GM given the Cowboys' record the last few years.

"It's real clear," Jones said. "I was asked the question, 'If you were an owner and you had a general manager, would you make a change?' Under those circumstances, I speculated that I would probably have made a change, but that's not our situation.

"To change, I'd have to change myself. People don't do that".

a bunch of nothing.

Top Bottom