cowboys2194

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Jerry Says 4-5 Vets On The Bubble

Posted by nickeatman at 4/26/2011 4:45 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

[FONT=verdana,geneva]While Tuesday’s pre-draft conference was dominated mostly by draft talk, with a little bit about the pending lockout situation, there were some references to free agency and personnel decisions.

[/FONT][FONT=verdana,geneva]One thing that caught everyone’s interest was when Jerry Jones said there “four or five” players whose future with the team remains in the air. Without knowing the logistics of next year, such as a salary cap or an uncapped year, or even a rookie wage scale, it’s tough for the Cowboys or any team to gauge what the roster will look like.

[/FONT][FONT=verdana,geneva]Actually, the thought of 4-5 bubble players isn’t that surprising. One of them was definitely Marc Colombo, whose name prompted the answer by Jerry Jones. The owner/GM made it sound like Colombo’s future with the team was in jeopardy by automatically referring to his loyalty and commitment to the team when asked about his status.
[/FONT][FONT=verdana,geneva]Then Jones made it a more general response.

“I’m talking about Marc Colombo but I don’t want to juts direct it to him,” Jones said. “I’d say a handful of players… 4 or 5 players that I couldn’t give you a straight answer on today that are under contract. Those types of situations I wouldn’t want to go there until we see more cards played.”

[/FONT][FONT=verdana,geneva]So who are these 4-5 players?

[/FONT][FONT=verdana,geneva]Obviously Colombo is one of them, then if I had to pick, I’d say Marion Barber, Leonard Davis, Roy Williams and then possibly Keith Brooking. I wouldn’t rule out Terence Newman completely, but Stephen Jones did refer to him twice when talking about the cornerback position. Of course, if the Cowboys were to draft someone like Prince Amukamara or Patrick Peterson (doubtful), then maybe Newman would be on his way. And let’s not rule out singing someone a big-name free agent cornerback as well. But if the position isn’t upgraded with a significant player, then I’m expecting Newman to return.

[/FONT][FONT=verdana,geneva]Remember, those 4-5 players involved guys under contract. It doesn’t count players such as Marcus Spears or Stephen Bowen, who will be free agents. [/FONT]

Top Bottom