Reaction score
Jenkins: I'm trying to catch Newman

By Tim MacMahonSAN ANTONIO – Mike Jenkins doesn’t have to compete for a starting job this season. He wants to compete to be the Cowboys’ best cornerback.

You could argue that Jenkins surpassed Terence Newman last season, which ended with both of them making the Pro Bowl as alternates. But Jenkins believes he’s still a step behind the savvy veteran.

“It’s always going to motivate me,” Jenkins said. “I grew up watching Terence Newman. He was one of my idols growing up, and it feels good for me to get out here and compete with him on the other side of the field. As long as he’s doing his thing and battling, I feel like I have to stay one step behind him and hopefully catch up to him one day.”

Newman declines to discuss whether Jenkins is close to catching him or already has. He’ll leave it to others to offer their opinions.

But Newman, who was a willing mentor to Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick but downplays his role in their development, acknowledged the healthy competition between the Cowboys’ corners.

“We’re both trying to outdo each other, especially as far as getting our hands on picks,” Newman said. “That’s the name of the game.”

Jenkins 5, Newman 3 in 2009, for those who are counting.

C

Cr122

Pretty soon Jenkins will be our number one.

I still like Newman, but he's not getting any younger.

Top Bottom