ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm thinking Jerry Hughes in FA. He's a TCU boy and Jerry seems to love the local guys.

Draft wise, NFLdraftscout has Trey Flowers as the #4 DE. Think he'll make it to our pick? He's not the kind of super-athlete that would go in the top 10... I don't think.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
1 DeForest Buckner DE 6-6/286 Oregon
1075617.jpg

I know this is going to seem like high praise but I see some JJ Watt like combination of power and speed in Buckner. In fact, once he declares and shows up at the Combine, he might be out of our range. He's playing 3-4 end for the Ducks right now and in the last two years, he's combined for 6 sacks and 16 TFL's. I would have liked to see him match up against Florida State's Cameron Erving but the Seminoles were forced to move Erving to center.

Buckner, at six foot six and close to 290 pounds, is the rare 3-4 end who could also play 4-3 end. He would come in and start at LDE for the Cowboys and immediately improve the run defense and pass rush.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
2 Carl Davis DT 6-5/315 Iowa
0ap2000000254278.jpg

A monstrous-sized 1-Tech, Davis would be a huge boost to the Cowboys' run defense. In this draft, combined with 1st rounder Buckner, the Cowboys would have added 13 feet and 600 pounds of help to their no-name defensive line. Davis is exactly what you want in a 1-Tech; a space taker who is going to command double teams. Unlike the 6-1, 300-pound bowling ball nose tackles many teams use, Davis's six-foot-five frame and wingspan will factor in the passing game as well.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
3 Jordan Akins WR 6-3/237 UCF
454370374-jordan-akins-of-ucf-is-tackled-by-jesse-gettyimages.jpg

You might be wondering how we can draft a freshman but Akins was 2010 MLB draft pick so he is 3 years removed from high school. Now, this would be a dreaded p-word pick. He's only had 12 receptions and 14 kickoff returns for the Golden Knights but his size/speed ratio is awfully intriguing. I'm only drafting him this high if I've put him through workouts.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
4 Josh Shaw CB 6-1/200 USC
0ap2000000280999.jpg

This is my guy so I'm going to hold out hope until someone else drafts him. He attended three football camps with my son and their high schools met in the playoffs their senior year. He's a first-round talent and before telling one of the dumbest lies in recent history, he would have the ideal Garrett draft choice for this team. He's an honor student and was named team captain before the incident. He has started at CB and FS during his time at USC and Florida. On the field he reminds me of a more physical Richard Sherman. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Seahawks target this kid.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
5 Corey Robinson T 6-7/344 South Carolina
corey-robinson-ncaa-football-south-alabama-south-carolina.jpg

Another honor roll guy, Corey gives the Cowboys depth at tackle as they continue to get younger (and more talented) on the offensive line. Robinson should beat out guys like Darrion Weems, John Wetzel, and Donald Hawkins.

Reaction score
Trade 2015's 1st round pick for a 1st rounder in 2016 + a little extra. In 2016, trade up to draft Romo's successor.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
7a (from Baltimore) Jeff Luc LB 6-1/256 Cincinnati
7Jeff-Luc.jpg

The former Florida Stare player and 4-star recruit has been a force for the Bearcats defense this year. He's had 121 tackles, 6.5 sacks, 9.5 TFL's, 6 forced fumbles, and 4 fumbles recovered. His frame, aggressiveness, and the speed he plays at reminds me of Bobby Wagner some.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
7b (from San Diego) Tyler Varga RB 5-11/220 Yale
10676366_912548465441380_6227398652344188428_n.jpg

I know some teams are looking at Varga as a fullback, but I see him as a Peyton Hillis-type powe rback. The Canadian-born Varga is likely to be a top pick in the CFL draft, but he is hoping to make it in the NFL,

Top Bottom