C

Cr122

Cowboys excited to have capable linebacker backups
Posted: August 5, 2010 - 12:31am

By JAN HUBBARD

SAN ANTONIO — At most All-Star games, coaches look at the talent on the roster and dream ... Imagine coaching these guys every day. I could do it with my eyes closed, both arms tied behind my back and a severe case of laryngitis.

Reggie Herring doesn’t share that wish. The Dallas Cowboys’ linebackers coach was part of the staff that coached the NFC in the Pro Bowl in January. Joining DeMarcus Ware as linebackers were Brian Orakpo and London Fletcher of the Washington Redskins, Clay Matthews of the Green Bay Packers and Jon Beason of the Carolina Panthers.

On the AFC team, linebackers included Elvis Dumervil of Denver, Ray Lewis of Baltimore and James Harrison of Pittsburgh.

“No offense to those guys,” Herring said, “and I know I’m biased. But Bradie James, Anthony Spencer and Keith Brooking were as good or better than any of those guys that I coached in the Pro Bowl.

“I think we’ve got the two best outside linebackers in the league and those two guys I’ve got inside are as good as any one of the inside guys on either team in the Pro Bowl.”

Ware is a four-time Pro Bowler and has been a dominant defensive player since he entered the league in 2005. But fellow outside linebacker Spencer came on strong at the end of last season and was playing as well as anybody in the league.

James and Brooking (a five-time Pro Bowler) were important parts of a defense that ranked second in points allowed (15.6 per game) and fourth in rushing yards allowed (90.5).

But as good as the starters are, they can’t be on the field every play. So when the Cowboys reported to training camp in San Antonio 12 days ago, coaches and starters were interested to see how the young backup linebacker corps would play.

So far, the reviews are positive with one major qualification.

“We won’t know anything until we play in some games,” Herring said.

With that out of the way, Herring went on to say, “We have a lot more guys that are closer to playing than there’s been in a while. That is important in this league, especially because it’s a game of attrition with injuries.”

Right now, the second-team linebackers are Texas Tech ex Brandon Williams (behind Ware), Victor Butler (behind Spencer), Jason Williams (behind Brooking) and Sean Lee (behind James).

For those keeping count, the respective ages are 22, 23, 24 and 24. Brandon Williams missed last season with an injury and has yet to play a game. Lee is a rookie and Jason Williams played in five games last season. Butler was the only one who got significant playing time. He played in all 16 games and started once when Ware was out with an injury.

Although the Cowboys are encouraged by the way the young linebackers have played, Brooking had a different view.

“They’re inconsistent,” Brooking said. “They have some good days and they have some bad days. One of the most important ingredients to being a pro and being in this league a long time is consistency. You have to start having a lot less mistakes every day. You see flashes. You see their ability. But the one thing they have to concentrate on is being consistent.”

Those flashes are impressive, however. Herring said that Brandon Williams, who went to Fort Worth South Hills High School, is already the third-best rusher among the linebackers behind Ware and Spencer.

“When those guys come in, there’s not going to be any lag in the game,” Ware said. “If it’s third-and-10, I’ll trust Brandon Williams to get in there and get the same job done that I would do.”

Perhaps the most intriguing prospect, however, is Lee, who had only one full practice before injuring a quadriceps muscle. Lee made such a positive impression in offseason workouts that coaches believe he can make up quickly for time that he’s lost.

Plus, the Cowboys have an extra preseason game that will give all the young players additional playing time.

“Sean Lee to me has been the most impressive of the young guys,” Herring said.

“He knows what to do (and) how to do it. He’s a competitor, has good instincts for coverage and runs. He’s probably the most consistent of all the young guys.”

Former Cleveland Browns linebacker Leon Williams has also had a good camp and Steve Octavien is one of the Cowboys’ best special teams players.

“They don’t make many mistakes,” said Ware, who was more generous with his praise. “They just make little small things. It’s not like they are making mental errors or anything and they’re coming along and contributing. I think they’re going do real well this year.”

Top Bottom