sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by jellis at 2/18/2011 5:09 PM CST on truebluefanclub.com

On an offensive line that had trouble at times in 2010, especially in the running game, one spot that must be better is right guard.

Leonard Davis, who had made the Pro Bowl in each of his first three seasons with the Cowboys, came back to Earth a bit at age 32. He still has another three years left on his deal. Unless the team wants to eat a chunk of prorated signing bonus money and try finding a new right guard, getting Davis turned around will be a priority.

Davis played better down the stretch than in the first half of the season, but he still has room for improvement to get back to the consistently dominant force he was in his first few years in Dallas. Offensive line coach Hudson Houck says that's as much his responsibility as it is the player's, though he wouldn't come out and say Davis was bad in 2010.

"We're just starting on that," Houck said. "That's a possibility. I would just as soon not get too much into that. What I know is, if that is the case, then I've got to do a better job coaching because he does have potential. He's got good size. He can still run. We've got to get the bending issue solved. We've got to get some things solved."

That would be Houck's way of saying Davis played stiff at times last year.

"We have identified some of the weaknesses," Houck said. "We've also identified the strengths, so it's my job to get him playing better, so we'll address those weaknesses at this point, and get him playing better."

The 28-year veteran of offensive line coaching said certain drills can help Davis correct his bad habits. He'll sit down with Davis to look at film, and the two will come to an agreement on certain corrections that need to be made.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Jenkins, Davis... So much of this seems to go back to "Camp Cupcake" and the lack of meaningful practice.

I'm not ready to toss Davis out with the bath water. I think he's part of the offensive line come next season.

The only one I think is shot is the tackle next to him.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jenkins, Davis... So much of this seems to go back to "Camp Cupcake" and the lack of meaningful practice.

I'm not ready to toss Davis out with the bath water. I think he's part of the offensive line come next season.

The only one I think is shot is the tackle next to him.

He's ghoing to be 33 next year. We need to start getting rid of these underperforming and overpaid and OLD players.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He's ghoing to be 33 next year. We need to start getting rid of these underperforming and overpaid and OLD players.

A lineman can play into their mid-30's provided they are in good shape and play with proper technique. Can he do that? We'll see. But I doubt you'll see him gone prior to the start of the next season.

Davis has been a pretty good good. And his play over the last 8 games as compared to the prior 8 was definitely better.

The bottom line is that I doubt you'll see Davis cut any time soon.

✭RIDE✭OR✭DIE✭

Cheerleader
Reaction score
I feel Davis should bounce back this season along with several other players due to what others here have pointed out in a new approach and philosophy. Colombo is as good as gone in my mind.

Trip-67

Spectator
Reaction score
it's been done before..anyone remember the resurgence of Flo to another probowl. i agree however..we need some young talent to lean on for the furture.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
A lineman can play into their mid-30's provided they are in good shape and play with proper technique. Can he do that? We'll see. But I doubt you'll see him gone prior to the start of the next season.

Davis has been a pretty good good. And his play over the last 8 games as compared to the prior 8 was definitely better.

The bottom line is that I doubt you'll see Davis cut any time soon.

I am aware of that. But bad Olinemen at age 32 are not going to magically become good Olinemen at age 33. There was more to then not being in shape for Davis. He's a bum. The guy gets no push whatsoever. When he was pulling in one game, I saw him get blown up as in knocked back and lose his helmet after get hit by a guy that gave up a 100 lbs. to him. He's useless on the goalline.

Reaction score
Sorry Houck, but at 32 years old, Davis no longer has "potential." He is what he is.

And after coaching for 30 years, you're not suddenly going to do a better job at coaching the guy.

False hope.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Sorry Houck, but at 32 years old, Davis no longer has "potential." He is what he is.

And after coaching for 30 years, you're not suddenly going to do a better job at coaching the guy.

False hope.

Shhh. Don't tell MichaelWinicki that.

Reaction score
Davis made Pro Bowls here...but he didn't deserve to. I have no hope the guy can be anything more this season than what he was last...a liability.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
it's been done before..anyone remember the resurgence of Flo to another probowl. i agree however..we need some young talent to lean on for the furture.

i no..but i think davis is done..if he got lazy and didnt care..what duz that tell u abot his character..hudson houck i think is a has been..i may be moar open to it if it wuz a new oline coach with a fresh take..hudson shooda never let it get to this point if its a mechanix thing..i want to get yunger at the position..may be ur rite tho..

ill be back..i smell corndogs..

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Davis made Pro Bowls here...but he didn't deserve to. I have no hope the guy can be anything more this season than what he was last...a liability.

But he wasn't a bag-o-shat either for those seasons. And he improved over the last 8 games of the concluding campaign.

If they (the coaching staff) think he can do the job next season, then I'm OK with that.

C

Cr122

I'm all for revamping our offensive line, but it can't happen in one off season.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
lol Oh know, no more Free Rein.

1/3 of the group (Procter) has already taken his sucktitude to Miami.

Columbo and Davis are so fricking big they look they are playing Guitar Hero instead of playing in an actual band. We are the Chowderheads..................glorious.

[video=youtube;COZere6HPfI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COZere6HPfI[/video]

Top Bottom