sbk92

Reaction score
ESPN.com news services

The agent for Baltimore's Haloti Ngata says the Ravens' Pro Bowl defensive tackle has signed his $12.5 million, one-year franchise tender.

Mike McCartney said Wednesday the deal had been signed. The Ravens designated Ngata as their franchise player earlier this month, but want to sign him to a long-term deal eventually.

Ngata was drafted by Baltimore in 2006 with the 12th overall pick. The 6-foot-4, 350-pounder had 65 tackles and a career-high 5½ sacks this season in making the Pro Bowl for a second straight year.

He has missed only two games in his five seasons with the Ravens.

The last two players to be franchised by the Ravens, linebacker Terrell Suggs and cornerback Chris McAlister, received long-term contracts from the team.

After the Ravens were eliminated from the playoffs by Pittsburgh last month, coach John Harbaugh said keeping Ngata was "priority No. 1" during the offseason.

"It's really important," Harbaugh said. "I believe Haloti Ngata will be a Raven for life. That's the goal. I know that Haloti wants that. He's told me that he wants to be here. I don't want to speak for him, again, but I think he wants to be here, and I believe the organization wants him here."

Top Bottom