boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Gosselin: My Cowboys re-draft yields just one player Jerry & Co. picked
Rick Gosselin

rgosselin@dallasnews.com

Published: 08 January 2014 07:01 PM

Updated: 08 January 2014 07:01 PM

Back on April 30, I wrote an NFL draft column and asked readers to clip and save. It’s time to pull that column out and see how you fared with a re-draft for the Cowboys.

Here's a link to that column, in which I presented readers with five options for each of the Cowboys' picks in the 2013 draft.

Here's was how I handled the Cowboys' re-draft.

Starting at 18, instead of trading down for center Travis Frederick and a third-rounder, you stay put and draft LSU safety Eric Reid. Even though Cowboys director of personnel Stephen Jones said at the time the 18th spot was “too rich for him,” Reid wound up starting 16 games as a rookie for San Francisco, which had the No. 3 defense in the NFL. He made 67 tackles, had four interceptions and recovered two fumbles. Yes, the Cowboys needed a safety then as now.

At 47 in the second round, instead of taking tight end Gavin Escobar, you select Kentucky guard Larry Warford. He was a walk-in starter for Detroit, which had the No. 6 offense. Warford started all 16 games on a Lions team that allowed the second-fewest sacks in the NFL (23). Tony Romo could use all the protection he can get.

At 80 in the third round, instead of taking safety J.J. Wilcox - you already addressed that need with your first-round pick - you select Illinois guard Hugh Thornton. He started 12 games for the AFC South champion Indianapolis Colts. Warford and Thornton solidify your interior offensive line.

At 114 in the fourth round, instead of cornerback B.W. Webb, you select Rutgers coverage linebacker Khaseem Greene. In a Tampa 2 scheme that asks its linebackers to cover, not blitz, Greene could step in on the strongside where the Cowboys shuffled veterans Justin Durant and Ernie Sims. Greene would be a cheaper option on a team with few salary-cap dollars to spare. Greene started four games for the Bears, including their victory over the Cowboys. He made 28 tackles on the season, broke up one pass, intercepted another and forced a fumble.

At 151 in the fifth round, instead of halfback Joseph Randle, you select Iowa defensive back Micah Hyde. He wound up starting three games as a nickel corner on the NFC North champion Green Bay Packers. He made 55 tackles with a sack and a forced fumble on defense and also averaged 12.3 yards as Green Bay’s primary punt returner with a touchdown. The Packers converted him from college safety to NFL cornerback, so he’d give you versatility at the back end.

At 185 in the sixth round, you stick with the Cowboys’ choice at this spot - South Carolina linebacker DeVonte Holloman. He was another cover backer in the 2013 draft. The Cowboys proved to be in dire need of coverage players in 2013, finishing 30th in the NFL in pass defense, so Greene, Hyde and Holloman could have all contributed. Holloman did - starting the final two games for the Cowboys. He was the best defensive player on the field in the winner-take-all finale with his 11 tackles and two sacks. Greene, Hollomon and Lee would have cemented the Cowboys’ future at the linebacker position.

And there you have it. We’ll do this exercise again next May and see if you can build the Cowboys better and faster through the draft than the Jones family.

Reaction score
Gah! This guy just doesn't know football! It doesn't matter who you draft, ginger will screw them up.

Reaction score
Normally you'd say hindsight is 20/20 but a lot of gooses picks are who we wanted in a lot of our site mocks. How we fucked this last draft so bad is beyond me.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
As well as Reid has played, I also keep the trade

1. Frederick
2. Warford
3. Williams or Keenan Allen
3. Damontre Moore
4. Khaseem Greene
5. Micah Hyde (who was mainly a CB Gooser)
6. Holloman

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

1. Frederick
2. Warford
3. Damontre Moore
4. Khaseem Greene
6. Holloman

Exactly. Frederick, Warford, and Smith, would be a hell of an OL for years to come.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Perfectly happy with Frederick and Williams. Still hate the Escobust pick.

Don't think much of Wilcox if Heath kept him on the bench.

Reaction score

1. Frederick
2. Warford
3. Damontre MooreI
4. Khaseem Greene
6. Holloman

I wish I could fuck with this but I can't. Mostly bc I won't look anything up but also bc warford is probably a stalwart and honey Nader and Leveon bell and shit are Injury prone

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yeah, Eric Reid was probably my number one player last year before I discovered Jonathan Cooper. Still, I'd take the Frederick/Williams (Allen would have been better) combo. Costa is awful and he was going to get Romo killed. I just think we should have gotten more in the trade though.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I know. I still think we were trade raped and the fact that Jerry has a new "internal" trade value chart terrifies me.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
My redraft is pretty similar to junk's

1. Frederick
2. Warford
3. Keenan Allen
3. Damontre Moore
4. Levine Toilolo TE Stanford
5. Brandon Jenkins DE/LB Florida State
6. Andre Ellington RB Clemson

UDFA
Tyler Bray QB
Tony Jefferson S
Joseph Fauria TE
Ray Ray Armstrong LB/S
Lawrence Okoye DE
not Jeff Heath JAG

Reaction score
These are always dumb because if you hit at 40% on draft day you're doing pretty good. I'd say we did pretty good this season.

Reaction score
These are always dumb because if you hit at 40% on draft day you're doing pretty good. I'd say we did pretty good this season.

Obviously, it's early. Frederick and Williams were immediate contributors.

Webb and Wilcox were not expected to be immediate contributors. And they both looked raw. Which was expected.

Escobar was not used much. And his blocking was poor. But TEs take awhile. Witten was not Witten in his rookie year. He took a couple years to develop.

Randle looks like he's a borderline NFL player. He doesn't look like he has much ceiling. Lacks NFL speed.

Holloman flashed a bit at the end of the year.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Jerry agrees.

When do they hand out the Good Enough Trophy? I hope it's shiny.

Reaction score
Taking guards in the 2nd and 3rd round is retarded. Even with hindsight, Goose is a moron.

Top Bottom