sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by nickeatman at 9/4/2010 5:00 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

After making two trades – Patrick Crayton to San Diego and Pat McQuistan to Miami – on Friday, the Cowboys have officially trimmed the roster down to 53 players, by cutting 20 on Saturday afternoon.

Among the notable cuts were cornerback Cletis Gordon, who had one of the better training camps of any defensive player. In fact, we spent a lot of time wondering about the fourth cornerback spot and the Cowboys didn’t even keep a fourth corner, cutting Gordon, along with rookies Bryan McCann and Jamar Wall, the only 2010 draft pick to be waived.

Veteran defensive tackle Junior Siavii was also waived.

In trading Crayton on Friday, the Cowboys decided to keep Sam Hurd, although he could possibly redo his contract for a lower base salary than the expected $1.7 million. Hurd and Kevin Ogletree round out the receiver corps as the Cowboys also released wide receivers Jesse Holley and Manuel Johnson, two players who were on last year’s practice squad and could likely return there again this year.

Released players have 24 hours to be claimed by another club before teams can sign the eligible players to the eight-man practice squad. It’s expected that players such as Holley, Manny Johnson, McCann and Wall could all be headed to the practice squad if they clear waivers.

Among the bubble players who have made the team for now are four undrafted rookies – Phil Costa, safeties Barry Church and Danny McCray and fullback Chris Gronkowski. Also, linebacker Leon Williams remains on the roster as well.

The Cowboys also decided to keep just two tight ends on the current roster, with Jason Witten and Martellus Bennett.

Here are the 20 players released by the Cowboys on Saturday:

OT Will Barker
OG Travis Bright
DE Marcus Dixon
RB Herb Donaldson
TE DajLeon Farr
CB Cletis Gordon
WR Jesse Holley
WR Manny Johnson
OLB Curtis Johnson
CB Bryan McCann
RB Lonyae Miller
LB Steve Octavien
TE Jason Pociask
TE Martin Rucker
DT Jimmy Saddler-McQueen
LB Brandon Sharpe
DE Junior Siavii
OL Mike Tepper
CB Jamar Wall
CB Teddy Williams

Motorbreath

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for posting man. I'm OK with the cuts but some I don't like, like Savaii and Wall.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm also a surprised McCann didn't make it.

Gordon was the talk of camp but I thought he struggled in the preseason games.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm all kinds of hells yes about Church and McCray both making it.

C

Cr122

I'm all kinds of hells yes about Church and McCray both making it.

Well yeah, seeing they want to make McCray our possible nickel linebacker.

McCray must be better than some of us thought.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Thanks for posting man. I'm OK with the cuts but some I don't like, like Savaii and Wall.

Siavii needed to be cut. Reminds me of Randall Williams: has a good camp and preseason but basically MIA in the regular season. He's like a 10 year vet, so of course he is going to dominate 3rd and 4th stringers.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
McGee saved his own ass this past Thursday. I doubt he ever becomes anything, but I guess he earned a roster spot.

I guess.

C

Cr122

Siavii needed to be cut. Reminds me of Randall Williams: has a good camp and preseason but basically MIA in the regular season. He's like a 10 year vet, so of course he is going to dominate 3rd and 4th stringers.

Plus we are expecting big things from Josh Brent.

C

Cr122

I'm still surprised we didn't keep either Gordon or McCann.

And cutting Wall too.

Top Bottom