Reaction score
INDIANAPOLIS - The Giants could go big on offense in the first round of April's NFL draft. They're certainly doing their homework on the biggest names at the largest positions this week.

Big Blue's brass dedicated one of their formal player interviews at the NFL combine to projected first-round Alabama tight end O.J. Howard (6-6, 251 pounds), the Daily News has learned. Plus the Giants have formally interviewed all three of the top projected offensive tackles in the draft: Wisconsin's Ryan Ramczyk (6-6, 314), Alabama's Cam Robinson (6-6, 326) and Utah's Garett Bolles (6-5, 300).

The intimidating Bolles was particularly memorable Thursday, not just for calling the Giants a "great organization" but for describing his on-field mean streak so bluntly.

"When I'm on the field, I want to put people in the dirt," Bolles said. "As an offensive lineman, you want to be the nasty pr--k that you can be. And whoever's in front of me, I want to drive them and put them in the dirt."

Longtime Cincinnati Bengal Andrew Whitworth, 35, is the most coveted veteran left tackle option expected to hit the free agent market on March 9. He could be an ideal fit on a one-year contract to give Eli Manning one last shot at a Super Bowl and provide the durable Whitworth a chance at his first.

But GM Jerry Reese seems to be moving cautiously on the free agency front until next Tuesday, when clubs are allowed to begin contacting free agents who will hit the open market officially 48 hours later. Reese and the Giants also are busy trying to turn Jason Pierre-Paul's $17 million franchise tag into a long-term deal at a more reasonable annual cap hit.

There seems to be mutual interest in linebacker Keenan Robinson's return to New York, but it's not done yet. And there has been no movement yet on defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins or offensive guard John Jerry, starters the Giants potentially could lose to paydays elsewhere.

The Giants' opinions and actions on the quarterback draft front, for now, remain less clear. But the QBs were measured on Thursday, meet the media on Friday and then will throw live to receivers on Saturday for teams to get a full evaluation. North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky, Clemson's Deshaun Watson, Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer and Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes are the top four right now.

San Francisco GM John Lynch said Kizer "blew the doors off" his interview with the 49ers, an interesting observation from a team with the No. 2 overall pick and no quarterback on its roster. Still, plenty of experts feel this quarterback class is weak and expect even the top prospects to fall, so there is no telling who will be on the board when the Giants pick at 23, and how they will proceed.

The Giants' offense so far, though, is getting plenty of attention.

Each NFL team is allowed to conduct up to 60 interviews, 15 minutes apiece, to learn more about both the person they may be drafting. The Giants' interview of Howard indicates the franchise is doing its homework on whether to upgrade at the tight end position as early as the first round.

Will Tye and Jerell Adams are returning at tight end, but Larry Donnell is gone and Reese needs to give Manning a more formidable threat up the middle of the field.

Howard, a four-year player for the Crimson Tide who starred in each of the last two National Championship games, is considered by many experts to be the top prospect in a deep tight end class.

Howard and Miami's David Njoku (6-4, 246) are jockeying to be the first tight end off the board. Ole Miss' Evan Engram (6-3 3/8, 234) and Michigan's Jake Butt (6-5 1/2, 246), who is coming off ACL surgery, also are exciting prospects, and Butt could be value pick deeper in the draft.

But Howard, whose full first name is O'Terrius, is especially intriguing given his exceptional athleticism, primarily on display against Clemson the past two years. Howard caught four passes for 208 yards and two touchdowns in Alabama's 45-40 win over the Tigers two years ago, and then snagged four passes for 106 yards and another TD in a 35-31 loss to Clemson this year.

Howard's stats otherwise were underwhelming for a prospect touted this highly, but some scouts have attributed that to his limited use in the offensive system. An NFL.com overview also says scouts "question his competitive nature," quoting one NFC GM: "He could be an all-pro. I just need to know if he loves football."

Howard's combination of past performance, measurable and upside has teams salivating, though, as does the NFL success of former Alabama receivers Julio Jones and Amari Cooper. Teams can learn a bit more about players' competitive spirit and nature in interviews, such as the session the Giants conducted with Howard.

We'll find out soon enough if they liked what they heard and saw.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I would think the OT would be a better pick for them team wise, but Howard will be very tempting for any team

Reaction score
Agreed he would be trouble, but I'm more worried about them getting a top running back.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
With our defense, I'm worried about next season as a whole. Need to fix a lot of things and sparse cap room to improve...

Top Bottom