C

Cr122

Full-Time
Fullbacks Get Increased Workload Monday
Joseph Garcia
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

SAN ANTONIO - They are not extinct, but seem to be used less and less in today's NFL. It is not the most glamorous position on offense, but was a vital part of all-time leading rusher Emmitt Smith's success - the fullback.

The fullbacks received a myriad of reps in Monday's practice as the offense worked on goal line and short yardage situations. Fourth-year fullback Deon Anderson lined up with the first-team in practice while rookie Chris Gronkowski took the rest of the reps.

Anderson has been mentoring Gronkowski ever since he arrived at Valley Ranch. The rookie from Arizona appreciates all he is learning and has learned from his fellow fullback.

"Deon has been unbelievable," Gronkowski said. "Right from the beginning he has pretty much helped me out. What really I like to see is I like to watch him block and go in there and smash some heads."

Gronkowski said Anderson is one of the best lead blockers he has ever seen and looks to emulate him in order to improve his game.

Anderson, the likely starter, said it helps to have extra running backs and fullbacks in camp because everyone helps out each other.

"If he (Gronkowski) sees something wrong with my form or technique he's going to tell me," said Anderson. "If I see something that he can improve on, I'm going to definitely tell him. So, it's all about learning right now. It's a learning process. He has been doing good and is making a name for himself."

Anderson said the experience he has gained from last year makes a world of difference when it comes to being poised. He said this season he is trusting his instincts and reacting quicker without having to think first.

A sixth-round draft pick in 2007 (195 overall), Anderson is willing to do whatever the coaches ask of him, including special teams.

"I just want to contribute any way I can on kickoffs, which is my favorite play," Anderson said. "I run down and seek and destroy whoever is in the way. I'm trying to take them out. I just go out there and try to contribute any way that I can, making tackles, making blocks."

Top Bottom