C

Cr122

Wade Phillips will have playing rotations set by Wednesday

12:38 AM CDT on Tuesday, August 3, 2010

BY GERRY FRALEY / The Dallas Morning News gfraley@dallasnews.com

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips plans on setting the playing rotation for Sunday's exhibition against Cincinnati and the Aug. 12 home game against Oakland on Wednesday.

He intends to divide backups into two groups. One will receive extended playing time against Cincinnati, with the other group doing special-teams duty. They will switch roles for the Oakland game.

The schedule for Romo and the first-team offense depends upon the opponent. Phillips and his staff will decide whether it is better for the first offense to face Cincinnati, which uses multiple zone coverages; or the Raiders, who are almost exclusively a man coverage team.

Buehler slips – slightly: Kicker David Buehler missed as many field goal tries (two) during the special-teams period as he had in the entire camp. The number has to be put into context.

Buehler's misses came from 44 and 53 yards. For the camp, he has made 20 of 24 attempts. That includes a 5-for-7 on kicks of 40-49 yards. Nick Folk lost the job with the Cowboys last season primarily because he was 5-for-12 from that range.

"I demand perfection," Buehler said. "If I miss one ball, I'm upset with myself."

Briefly: Inside linebacker Sean Lee (quadriceps) and safety Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (safety) could both join practice Wednesday. Lee has missed nine practices. Owusu-Ansah has been recovering from shoulder surgery and has not practiced since being taken in the fourth round of the April draft.

Top Bottom