Reaction score
Fraley: It's time for the Cowboys to re-do the entire secondary
12:46 AM CST on Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Gerry Fraley / Reporter

SportsDayDFW.com writer Gerry Fraley chatted with fans on Monday and answered questions about the Dallas Cowboys. Here are some highlights:

So were the Cowboys wrong about Nick Folk or did they have the right evidence to believe he wouldn't work here?

Wrong. They should have put him on IR, let him use the off-season to continue to rehab the post-surgery hip and compete with David Buehler in camp. Big whiff for the Cowboys on this one.

Why is Dom Capers seen as such a long shot for defensive coordinator? Couldn't he be offered more money than he makes in Green Bay with an assistant head coach title?

He would need the additional title to leave. Not sure that Capers, at this stage of his career, is interested in a rebuilding job. He likes what he has in Green Bay and can coach without distractions or unwanted input.

What are some of the dates Cowboys fans should be aware of coming up? I know the Senior Bowl is soon but is that it until the draft?

Senior Bowl workouts, which all teams heavily monitor, begin on Jan. 24, the day after the conference title games. Teams can begin releasing players on Feb. 4. Collective bargaining agreement ends on March 3, when a lockout is likely to start.

Our defense is obviously the biggest area of concern. What offseason personnel changes would you make if you were in charge? What players would you replace?

I'd re-do the entire secondary, add a space-eater nose tackle so that Ratliff could move to end and get an outside linebacker to push and possibly move ahead of Spencer.

C

Cr122

I'd find a way to get Fairley, make a trade or whatever because this dude is unblockable.

He's a force inside, then move Ratliff to end. Sbk is right, we need to improve the front seven first.

I know I said I would like to get Nnamdi but after looking over the draft class for corners we could definitely draft one at some point of the draft.

casmith07

Spectator
Reaction score
I disagree. We just need a Free Safety. I think Champ Bailey would be the way to go if he wouldn't mind playing here.

I have a feeling he'll stay in Denver, though. He seems like the kind of guy that's just happy to be there.

Reaction score
An adequate safety and an improved rush from our front 7 would make our corners look like All Pro's.

Jenkins, Newman, and Scandrick have proven they can play in this league. But they need help.

I'd love the idea of bringing in Bailey and moving him to safety.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Never ceases to amaze me how stupid DMN writers are when it comes to the NFL.

First, Fraley thinks Folk had a great yr with the Jets. He didnt, in fact he was almost cut several weeks ago because he was so inconsistent.

Second, Fraley doesnt understand the rules when hiring asst coaches either, as he believes adding a title would get it done.

C

Cr122

Never ceases to amaze me how stupid DMN writers are when it comes to the NFL.

First, Fraley thinks Folk had a great yr with the Jets. He didnt, in fact he was almost cut several weeks ago because he was so inconsistent.

Second, Fraley doesnt understand the rules when hiring asst coaches either, as he believes adding a title would get it done.

I don't want to go that route with a corner soon to be 33. We already have one in Newman.

I'd rather draft one or get a younger guy in free agency.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'd find a way to get Fairley, make a trade or whatever because this dude is unblockable.

He's a force inside, then move Ratliff to end. Sbk is right, we need to improve the front seven first.

I know I said I would like to get Nnamdi but after looking over the draft class for corners we could definitely draft one at some point of the draft.

Ratliff and Spencer no showed this year. And the geniuses want to fix it by adding more cornerbacks again.

No. Fix Ratliff and Spencer and the corners will fix themselves.

C

Cr122

Ratliff and Spencer no showed this year. And the geniuses want to fix it by adding more cornerbacks again.

No. Fix Ratliff and Spencer and the corners will fix themselves.

Can I get some props on Spencer not showing up this year?

~sneaks away~

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Improve the front seven by trading away picks for one player? No. Personally, I would like to get a CB like Amukamara or Peterson---doubt he falls that far, and then get an NT like Phil Taylor---a Sam Sams like player.

Reaction score
Improve the front seven by trading away picks for one player? No. Personally, I would like to get a CB like Amukamara or Peterson---doubt he falls that far, and then get an NT like Phil Taylor---a Sam Sams like player.

If you want a NT who'll just eat up blocks and take up space, then I think we have that in Josh Brent.

What we need is disruptive players.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
An adequate safety and an improved rush from our front 7 would make our corners look like All Pro's.

Jenkins, Newman, and Scandrick have proven they can play in this league. But they need help.

I'd love the idea of bringing in Bailey and moving him to safety.

This idea is much more appealing than spending so much money on Asomugha.

sbk92

Reaction score
Bailey would only be a stop gap player for a year or two, once corners go into their mid 30's they start declining.

No interest in Bailey.

No interest in any secondary player in their 30's.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Bailey would only be a stop gap player for a year or two, once corners go into their mid 30's they start declining.

Really? Gee... I didn't know that. Thank you very much. Myself and Midswat were not proposing bringing Bailey in as a CB but rather as FS to extend his career. Bailey has already stated that he wants to finish his career asa FS. And yes he would be a stop gap. Brookings was/is a stop gap. Every team has a stop gap at one position or another.

C

Cr122

Really? Gee... I didn't know that. Thank you very much. Myself and Midswat were not proposing bringing Bailey in as a CB but rather as FS to extend his career. Bailey has already stated that he wants to finish his career asa FS. And yes he would be a stop gap. Brookings was/is a stop gap. Every team has a stop gap at one position or another.

But you think putting them to safety will prolong their careers?

It hardly ever works. WGAS! about moving an aging corner to safety.

I'd rather draft or sign a younger free agent. Erik Weddle comes to mind.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
But you think putting them to safety will prolong their careers?

It hardly ever works. WGAS! about moving an aging corner to safety.

I'd rather draft or sign a younger free agent. Erik Weddle comes to mind.

Nobody is talking about moving him to SS, but FS. And just because it hardly ever works---maybe because it's hardly ever is done, doesn't mean that it wouldn't work. It's ofte the elite CBs for most of their careers that I'm not talking about a run-of-the-mill CB. And I would not be averse to brining Weddle in. That'd solve half our safety problem there.

Reaction score
Our defense is obviously the biggest area of concern. What offseason personnel changes would you make if you were in charge? What players would you replace?

I'd re-do the entire secondary, add a space-eater nose tackle so that Ratliff could move to end and get an outside linebacker to push and possibly move ahead of Spencer.

I just want to go on record as saying that what Fraley is suggesting right here would be almost impossible to accomplish effectively in only one offseason. Let alone an offseason that could be as truncated as this one.

Top Bottom