Reaction score
Former Mont. teacher gets 30 days for student rape
15 hr ago
Associated Press

BILLINGS, Mont. — A former Billings Senior High School teacher who pleaded guilty to raping a 14-year-old student who later killed herself has been sentenced to 30 days in jail by a judge who said the victim was "older than her chronological age" and "as much in control of the situation" as the teacher.

District Judge G. Todd Baugh sentenced Stacey Dean Rambold to 15 years in prison for sexual intercourse without consent, with all but 31 days suspended. He gave Rambold credit for one day already served, The Billings Gazette reported.

The girl's mother repeatedly screamed, "You people suck!" and stormed out of the courtroom Monday.

Rambold, now 54, was charged in October 2008 with three counts of sexual intercourse without consent alleging that he had an ongoing sexual relationship with Cherice Morales, starting the previous year when she was 14.

Morales took her own life in February 2010 while the case was pending.

In July 2010, Rambold entered a three-year deferred prosecution agreement with prosecutors that said the charges would be dismissed if Rambold completed a sex offender treatment program and met other conditions, including having no contact with children. He also admitted to one rape charge.

The case was revived last December when prosecutors learned Rambold had been terminated from the sex offender treatment program.

Treatment provider Michael Sullivan said Rambold started missing meetings in August 2012, but Sullivan said he met with Rambold and he appeared to be back on track with his treatment.

Rambold was terminated from the program in November when it was learned that he had been having unsupervised visits with minors, who were family members, and did not inform counselors that he had been having sexual relations with a woman.

Defense attorney Jay Lansing said Rambold has since continued his treatment with a different program and an evaluation found him at low risk to re-offend.

Baugh said he was not convinced that the reasons for Rambold's termination from treatment were serious enough to warrant the 10-year prison term prosecutors recommended.

The judge said he listened to statements given by Morales before her death and believed that while she was a troubled youth, she was "as much in control of the situation" as Rambold and was "older than her chronological age."

Yellowstone County Attorney Scott Twito told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he would not appeal the judge's sentence.

"We respect the court's sentencing decision. We obviously disagree with it, based on the recommendations my attorneys made, but it appears to be legally permissible," he said.

Asked about Baugh's reasoning that a 14-year-old girl below the state's age of consent had an equal share of control of the relationship, Twito declined to answer directly.

"The judge's reasons are his reasons and his reasons alone. He has broad authority under state law, given the proper criteria," Twito said.

The case resulted in a $91,000 wrongful death settlement between the school district and Morales' family.

Rambold reached a confidential settlement with the girl's family.

Reaction score
Curious to know how the judge came to that conclusion.

Easy to bash the judge and be outraged, but hard to say without knowing all the details.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score

Easy to bash the judge and be outraged, but hard to say without knowing all the details.

Hard to bash the judge

The girl WAS 15

A teacher has sex with your daughter when she's 15 and you need to know all the details

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Hard to bash the judge? A kid is dead. Wasn't that repeated over and over regarding Trayvon. An adult raped a kid and now the kid is dead. WTF is wrong with people? There are not a whole lot more details that need clarification. An adult raped a kid. It is not a grey area. I hope very bad things happen to this judge.

Reaction score
No, what I'm saying is... its different if the 15 year old is some innocent, vulnerable girl who was manipulated by the teacher.

It's quite possible that the girl in this story was just a complete whorebag who was throwing herself at the teacher.

Older than her chronological age.... what does that mean? Did she have a history of being promiscuous? Of getting in trouble?

I'm not saying the teacher is innocent, or condoning what he did. I'm saying it's easy to bash the judge but I'll reserve judgement until more details - if they even do - emerge.

Reaction score
Was she literally raped, as in pinned down and had no control. Or is it rape because she was below the age of consent?

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
No, what I'm saying is... its different if the 15 year old is some innocent, vulnerable girl who was manipulated by the teacher.

It's quite possible that the girl in this story was just a complete whorebag who was throwing herself at the teacher.

Older than her chronological age.... what does that mean? Did she have a history of being promiscuous? Of getting in trouble?

I'm not saying the teacher is innocent, or condoning what he did. I'm saying it's easy to bash the judge but I'll reserve judgement until more details - if they even do - emerge.

Fair enough I guess.

He cannot claim he did not know her age. It was her teacher. It does not matter if the kid was a screwed up slut or not. She was 15 and the teacher knew it. He is a predator. He was still having unsupervised visits with minors and was kicked out of a sex rehab (sex rehab is a joke. You can't fix child molesters).

Who knows, maybe he is a wonderful person and the whole sticking it to a little kid thing was an accident. Maybe they were walking and slipped and his dick fell in her. Happens all the time.

Reaction score
There are some 15 year olds who look 18+.

Likewise, there are some 18+ who have the body of an underage girl.

Miley Cyrus was dancing around stage in a bra and panties and its okay because she's 18+ and a 'sex symbol'. But she's got the body of a 14 year old. Everytime I go to the beach there are teens runnign around with more developed bodies.

Google Angie Verona. Look at what she had at the of 14. Christ ol mighty. I've have a seat right over there with Chris Hansen if she ever wanted to throw me some side action.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
That's all well and good. And you're right, sometimes it can be hard to accurately judge the age of others.

But this guy was her teacher. He KNEW she was a freshman in high school, and under age.

Reaction score
I'm not saying he's not guilty of any crime.

I'm just reserving outrage over the sentencing until clarification of what the judge knows or thinks he knows about the girl is/was.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm not saying he's not guilty of any crime.

I'm just reserving outrage over the sentencing until clarification of what the judge knows or thinks he knows about the girl is/was.

Still wrong. This judge never met the kid. Only saw recorded testimony from a prior trial. And even still, it does not matter if he thinks this kid was more mature than most 14-15 year old kids. Or if she's the biggest slut to ever walk. Her ACTUAL age makes it a crime, and anything she may have done in the past has nothing to do with this 49 year old man having sexual contact with a minor.

For this judge to somehow change the law because his opinion of this kid, should be a crime in and of itself.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
The guy was convicted and punished, no?

This is seriously the stance you're taking on this? That 30 days is punishment for raping a 14 year old girl? And that her history of sexual promiscuity or not has relevance?

C'mon, Midswat. I know you are smarter than this. This has to be a troll job. Not playing that game, sorry.

Reaction score
I'm saying this:

Top Bottom