C

Cr122

[h=2][/h]
FA Watch: LB Jackson Has Ties To Ryan
By Josh Ellis
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

(Editor's Note: With the NFL free agency period beginning next month, the Cowboys have some work to do. In this series, DallasCowboys.com takes a look at a number of the veterans who could wind up in Dallas. Today's featured player is Cleveland Browns linebacker D'Qwell Jackson.)

Name: D'Qwell Jackson
Position: Inside Linebacker
College: Maryland
Height/Weight: 6-0/240
NFL Experience: 6 seasons

Availability: Reports in the last couple of days suggest the Browns will franchise Jackson if he isn't signed to a long-term deal between now and March 5. An $8.8 million price tag could be considered risky for a player with his injury history, though. While he was injured for both of Rob Ryan's seasons in Cleveland, Jackson's familiarity with the Dallas defensive coordinator wouldn't hurt the Cowboys' case.

What He Brings: When healthy, Jackson has been an ideal playmaker for the inside of a 3-4 front. He had a career-best season in 2011, with 158 tackles, 3.5 sacks, plus an interception and a forced fumble. However, he had problems staying on the field the previous two years. After an impressive first six games of 2009 he hurt his shoulder and finished the year on injured reserve, then tore his pectoral muscle in training camp of 2010 and sat out the entire season.

Connections: In addition to two years around Ryan, Jackson's linebackers coach in 2009 and 2010 was Matt Eberflus, who is currently with the Cowboys. He's also familiar with secondary coach Jerome Henderson from three years spent together in Cleveland, and played with a couple of other Ryan imports, defensive lineman Kenyon Coleman and safety Abram Elam.

Where Would He Fit: If Jackson does make it through to the open market, the Cowboys should keep an eye on him, but must also consider the progress of 2011 second-round pick Bruce Carter. Though Carter gained little experience on defense last year due to his recovery from a torn ACL, owner Jerry Jones has expressed some optimism that he could take over a starting role as soon as the coming season. If coaches disagree, Jackson would be a fine option to start alongside Sean Lee. From a numbers standpoint, the team does need another inside linebacker or two. Chances are Carter at least gets to compete to start, and he's probably the favorite to win the job, which would seem to discourage the Cowboys from pursuing a more proven and therefore costly option like Jackson.​

Reaction score
I'd like to have him in Dallas, but I'm not sure they let him out of Cleveland.

Considering Lee injury history and Carters inexperience, he'd be a great insurance policy at the worst, great rotation guy.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'd like to have him in Dallas, but I'm not sure they let him out of Cleveland.

Considering Lee injury history and Carters inexperience, he'd be a great insurance policy at the worst, great rotation guy.

Yep, One way or another we need a veteran ilb and another rookie or orie lemon to become a regular roster guy.

C

Cr122

I want Jackson here too. What's the deal if Cleveland tags him though?

We can't afford to be giving up any draft picks.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I want Jackson here too. What's the deal if Cleveland tags him though?

We can't afford to be giving up any draft picks.

there are other veterans to where we would not be trading any draft picks for a 2 down linebacker with an injury history.

I think mcintosh can do anything he can.

Reaction score
there are other veterans to where we would not be trading any draft picks for a 2 down linebacker with an injury history.

I think mcintosh can do anything he can.

Isn't McIntosh only around 220?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Kirk Morrison. Good enough to play if needed, not so great that he will cost a lot or stop Bruce Carter's progress.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Isn't McIntosh only around 220?

I dont think he is that light, but its okay we just need a vet who can handle rotating.

mcintosh played in both defenses...seems like a good rotational guy.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jackson to get Franchised? That doesn't sound (read) right. Or Was that an attempt at humor?

I read it somewhere online the other day, might have been up on ESPN too. Said they intended to franchise tag him if they couldnt agree to a long term deal before the deadline.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's one of the blurbs that sites the Cleveland Plain dealer

Wake-up: Franchise tag for Peyton Hillis?
February, 23, 2012 Feb 237:30AM ETEmail Print Comments405By Jamison HensleyEvery morning, grab a cup of coffee and get your AFC North wake-up call here:

If the Browns don't have to use the franchise tag on linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, a candidate to get it next is running back Peyton Hillis, according to the Plain Dealer of Cleveland.

The paper continues to report that the team intends to place the tag on Jackson. But, if the sides can reach a long-term deal, the Browns can use it on Hillis or kicker Phil Dawson, according to the Plain Dealer.

Hillis had a disappointing season to finish off the final year of his contract, totaling 717 yards and three touchdowns. That was a major dropoff from 2010, when he produced 1,654 yards and 13 touchdowns.

According to the Plain Dealer, the Browns are interested in bringing back Hillis. "I really liked what I saw when he was in there playing healthy," Browns coach Pat Shurmur said.

C

Cr122

Interesting, because you can only use the tag on one player. The suspense is killing me.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There's another article somewhere else which states they will tag Jackson

Reaction score
@JasonLaCanfora: Browns announce long-term deal for D'Qwell Jackson. He's coming off a monster season.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Eh. He would have been coming in as a starter and I want to see what Bruce Carter can do. I'm more interested in guys like Kirk Morrison and Rocky McIntosh. Good enough to start if necessary but won't cost a ton.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
well that is a bummer for us

Eh. Bruce Carter is gonna be pretty good. Wasnt all that worried about whether we'd get Jackson

Good player, but I think we have an internal option that will workm out fine.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
whether carter works out or not is anybodys guess but either way we need another veteran and probably orie lemon to work out in the spring and summer.

otherwise we could be into november realizing carter isnt that good and are in a huge bind. We could need 3 inside linebackers at the end of the year if things dont work out.

Top Bottom