LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
After 11 seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, free agent safety Ed Reed is moving on, agreeing to terms with the Houston Texans on Wednesday night, reports Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com.

According to La Canfora, Reed's financial adviser, Brad Davis, says a deal is in place, though some minor contractual language issues need to be ironed out. La Canfora adds that Reed, who earned $7.2 million in base salary from the Ravens last season and was reportedly looking for similar dollars in free agency, could receive a contract that averages $6 million per season.

Reed, 34, is a future Hall of Famer who has 61 interceptions in his career, seven of which he has returned for touchdowns. In total, Reed has scored 13 touchdowns during his 11-year career, which has included nine trips to the Pro Bowl and eight All-Pro nods. A first-round pick out of Miami, Reed was named the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year in 2004.

Reed is the latest player to leave the Super Bowl champion Ravens. Linebacker Ray Lewis retired after the season and linebackers Paul Kruger and Dannell Ellerbe left the team for free-agent deals with the Cleveland Browns and Miami Dolphins, respectively. Cornerback Cary Williams signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as a free agent. The Ravens also released safety Bernard Pollard for salary-cap reasons. With Reed going to Houston, the Ravens are left with James Ihedigbo, Omar Brown and 2012 fourth-round pick Christian Thompson at the top of their safety depth chart.

The Texans were in the market for a free safety after losing Glover Quin to the Detroit Lions in free agency.

iceberg

In the Rotation
Reaction score
the ravens are going to have a hard time filling leadership voids.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Jealous of the Texans. I know he has lost a step and not entirely the same player he was just a short 2-3 years ago but it would have been nice to have a grey beard with his accolades and leadership skills patrolling our secondary for a couple of years.

I have fears the Jones gang truly believe their own dribble that we have competent safeties currently on the roster.

iceberg

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Jealous of the Texans. I know he has lost a step and not entirely the same player he was just a short 2-3 years ago but it would have been nice to have a grey beard with his accolades and leadership skills patrolling our secondary for a couple of years.

I have fears the Jones gang truly believe their own dribble that we have competent safeties currently on the roster.

i have fears people always believe the PR department.

if we're looking to add huff, or another safety in FA then cool. but we simply can't do it until romo and spencer are signed to better deals.

sucks. totally.

but i'm not 100% unhappy we didn't sign a 34 year old player to mentor players that may or may not be here in a few years. reed is a common name, and a solid vet to be sure. but how much does he really have left?

i don't see enough to get mad we didn't sign him.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Not mad we didn't sign him but envious they took a chance on a veteran of his caliber and not blink. At his age I would still trust his skill set over anything that we currently have in place.

The Jones gang is the PR department. The place where lies and truth get distorted.

Time will tell what direction we go but the track record isn't good that it will be a positive outcome.

iceberg

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Not mad we didn't sign him but envious they took a chance on a veteran of his caliber and not blink. At his age I would still trust his skill set over anything that we currently have in place.

The Jones gang is the PR department. The place where lies and truth get distorted.

Time will tell what direction we go but the track record isn't good that it will be a positive outcome.

granted. but i won't make every move they make or don't make support a pessimistic view.

ed reed, if he got anywhere near $6mil a year simply wouldn't be worth it to the cowboys. not now. he'd not put us over the top, he'd not get us into the playoffs and he'd not be here in 2 years.

so because he's not here now i can't get too upset. we already knew going into FA we'd not make near the moves we did last year. we just can't. sucks, sure. but i got nothing but time. we're in a bad spot to sign just about anyone this year so i won't use that as an excuse to bag on jones. he spends to get quality and sometimes he hits, sometimes he doesn't.

i personally don't see spencer worth the jack. i like him as a player but that money could get a young dude to step in and 2-3 more mid-level vets. spencer has always been great against the run but with the changes we're going through, this should have been another change.

not a commitment.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
This will hurt the Ravens for sure with both Reed and Lewis gone. The Texans gotta a great player.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This will hurt the Ravens for sure with both Reed and Lewis gone. The Texans gotta a great player.

He isnt a great player anymore. He is one of the alltime greats at his position, but he didnt look like he had alot left in the tank the past couple of seasons and he's reportedly kicked around retirement for 2-3 years now.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
He isnt a great player anymore. He is one of the alltime greats at his position, but he didnt look like he had alot left in the tank the past couple of seasons and he's reportedly kicked around retirement for 2-3 years now.

So we could have signed him with all the cap room we have, but choose not too, correct? No need for a hall of fame guy back there. We are stacked at the position.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good call. Belichick clearly loves him some Ed Reed.

Answer probably is that BB knows he doesn't have much left.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good call. Belichick clearly loves him some Ed Reed.

Answer probably is that BB knows he doesn't have much left.

yep.

I will go on the record and say I bet he misses at least half the season with some lingering injury.

Reaction score
He looked incredibly stiff the last year or so. He could play single high in his sleep but he's definitely limited. we couldve played him every other week and let the next HOF ball hawk matt Johnson pick up the slack.

Top Bottom