Reaction score
Eagles “doing all they can” to get Mariota

Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT

In less than 24 hours, we’ll know whether the Eagles trade up to get quarterback Marcus Mariota. For now, we know they want to.

Per a league source, the Eagles are “doing all they can” to make the move from No. 20.

Presumably, they’re trying to get to No. 2, via a trade with the Titans. The persistent interest the Browns have in Eagles quarterback Sam Bradford coupled with Cleveland’s pair of first-round picks could allow the Eagles to pull this off without giving up too much.

Bradford, the 20th overall pick in the 2015 draft, Philly’s first-round pick in 2016, and maybe another second- or third-round pick could possibly get it done as a three-team deal, if the Eagles can get the No. 12 pick from Cleveland and deliver the 12th pick, the 20th pick, and a 2016 first-round pick to Tennessee. Perhaps the Browns would need Bradford and another second-round pick to give up the No. 12 pick. Maybe the Titans would want another third-round pick in addition to three first-round selections.

Regardless, the availability of Bradford and Cleveland’s well-established interest in him makes it easier for the Eagles to put together a package that doesn’t seem all that unreasonable.

Sure, Eagles coach Chip Kelly has said he won’t mortgage the future, but Kelly sees the draft as a crapshoot. He sees Mariota as a sure thing. Why shouldn’t Kelly do whatever he has to do to convert a collection of dice rolls for a sure thing?

Eagles “doing all they can” to get Mariota | ProFootballTalk

Reaction score
That first game vs. the Eagles last season got pretty ugly.

I'm concerned that we'd get a lot more of that if Kelley gets Mariota. I think the Eagles offense would be very difficult to stop if Kelly has a QB who is a great fit with his (Kelly's) system.

I'd much prefer that Mariota end up elsewhere.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think Kelly knows he might win a division or two with scrubs like Foles or even Bradford but he's never going to win it all, and he's trying to get that guy he knows has both the talent and the temperament to do it. Not sure why people would think it's great if he got that guy.

The easiest way for a team to stay down forever is to never get a QB. I think we've had Romo so long, some people have forgetten what it's like to not have one.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That first game vs. the Eagles last season got pretty ugly.

I'm concerned that we'd get a lot more of that if Kelley gets Mariota. I think the Eagles offense would be very difficult to stop if Kelly has a QB who is a great fit with his (Kelly's) system.

I'd much prefer that Mariota end up elsewhere.

The 2nd time we played didnt look anything like the first either. We werent playing on a short week after having played the SNF game before (something the league mandated would not happen with schedule making this yr)

I really dont care of they get him or not. With all they will have to give up to get him there wont be much around him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think Kelly knows he might win a division or two with scrubs like Foles or even Bradford but he's never going to win it all, and he's trying to get that guy he knows has both the talent and the temperament to do it. Not sure why people would think it's great if he got that guy.

The easiest way for a team to stay down forever is to never get a QB. I think we've had Romo so long, some people have forgetten what it's like to not have one.

Another easy way is to blow your load to get someone at all costs, and have said guy not pan out

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
True, but I admire a team that takes that risk and tries to get that QB and become a Superbowl contender over a team that just gets a lot of solid guys and never gets better than a 9-7 type team.

Reaction score
Guy couldn't win a National Championship in Chip Kelly's system. They could beat Pac 12 defenses, but not SEC defenses. I'm not worried about them beating NFL defenses.

Reaction score
As everyone here knows, the QB rushing threat is a significant facet of Kelly's scheme. Kelly is coaching with one arm tied behind his back if he's forced to go with a relatively immobile QB (like Bradford).

You know, despite all of the grief that he's caught this off-season, Kelly may not be as dumb as many (most) think. Actually, I think it'd be rather clever to obtain a QB who you almost immediately trade in order to obtain the QB who truly fits your system.

It'd be great if Kelly turned out to be as inept as Spurrier was with Washington (committed to a scheme that wouldn't work in the NFL). It is true that there are many more failures than successes among NFL coaches, so chances are that Kelly will also fail. But Kelly getting his guy at QB makes it less likely that Kelly will fail.

Reaction score
Report: Browns believe they can land Sam Bradford

Report: Browns believe they can land Sam Bradford

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: April 30, 2015 at 12:15 p.m.
Updated: April 30, 2015 at 12:39 p.m.

The Cleveland Browns haven't abandoned hope of landing quarterback Sam Bradford in a trade.

The Browns believe they have a good chance to trade for Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Sam Bradford, The MMQB's Peter King reported Thursday.

ESPN's Adam Schefter also suggested on Mike & Mike Thursday morning that the Eagles could deal Bradford to the Browns.

Cleveland is unwilling to part with both 2015 first-round picks in addition to their 2016 first-rounder for the opportunity to draft Oregon's Marcus Mariota at No. 2 overall, according to King as well as The Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot.

Browns coach Mike Pettine acknowledged to NFL Media's Andrea Kremer that opinions are mixed on Mariota inside team headquarters.

Bradford represents a cheaper alternative, as the cost would presumably be just one of those picks.

NFL Media's Charley Casserly reported last month that the Browns had offered a first-round pick for Bradford, only to watch the Rams flip their quarterback to the Eagles instead.

The Browns' interest in Bradford is no surprise, but the former No. 1 overall pick isn't without warts. Still recovering from his second ACL surgery in two years, Bradford is resistant to the idea of signing a contract extension in Cleveland, per multiple reports.

Should Bradford end up on the shores of Lake Erie, the Eagles are expected to package the Browns' first-round pick with available veterans such as Fletcher Cox and Mychal Kendricks in an attempt to move up to the Titans' No. 2 spot for Mariota.

We have reached the height of silly season, just hours from the start of the 2015 NFL Draft. It's one thing for phone calls to be placed and scenarios to be plotted out. It's quite another for all of the pieces to fall into place, igniting multiple blockbuster trades.

Report: Browns believe they can land Sam Bradford - NFL.com

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Heard a rumor that the Eagles immediately started selling Murray's jersey but never sold Bradford's. Was that true?

I dunno, I like Sam and think he could be a good player if he could ever stay healthy. But why are these teams giving up so much for him when he's never been able to stay healthy?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
How hilarious would it be if the Eagles make some epic move to get to #2 and then Tampa Bay either takes Mariota or trades the pick to the Browns so they take Mariota?

Why so sad Chip?

Reaction score
@evansilva: Schefter reiterated #Browns are "not players" for Mariota. Mort says he doesn't think #Eagles will be able to pull off trade to 2.

Reaction score
Offering up Fletcher Cox ... That's a serious incentive.

Wouldn't mind seeing him play outside of the NFC East.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Guy couldn't win a National Championship in Chip Kelly's system. They could beat Pac 12 defenses, but not SEC defenses. I'm not worried about them beating NFL defenses.

TE is a sniveling whiner. Wouldn't pay him any mind.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What tight end is a sniveling whiner?

And I don't think it's exactly Mariotta's fault he couldn't beat Ohio State. That entire team was physically overmatched.

My god, I'm not even the biggest Mariotta fan out there. I've said forever he's a huge project that needs a ton of work. But is is a good guy and hard worker, and these professional scouts are the ones who love him so much.

Top Bottom