LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
1st round: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina - 6'2", 311

Ol' Long Ball has just about had it! I'm tired of Cuzzin Jerruh "going for the sizzle, not the steak", so I'll show you "Where's the Beef?" with this simulation . . . it's time to re-load both lines! Dallas re-signed Phil Costa for 2 years (for a lower amount in 2013 than his RFA tender would have been), so he and "Killer" Kowalski will most likely battle for the starting Center position, relegating Ryan Cook to back-up status. Whaddaya say we do the same for either Mackenzy Bernadeau or Nate Livings? The Cowboys are weak in the interior of their OL, evidenced by the pressure Romo faced coming straight up the middle and the inability of the team to consistently gain yardage rushing the ball (with the exception of Murray bouncing a play outside). Jonathan Cooper, a potential 3-position prospect (OC/OG), may be the most athletic OG in this year's draft, consistently getting to the 2nd level , which will allow Jason Garrett to pull more blockers to lead running plays . . . but he also packs a punch with an Explosion Factor (read Pat Kirwan's "Take Your Eyes Off The Ball") approaching 72 (Combine results: 35 bench reps, 27 vertical, 9'4" broad).

2nd round: Kawann Short, DT Purdue - 6'3", 299

The Cowboys recorded a franchise-low number of sacks in 2012, accumulating only 34.0 for the season . . . and 26.5 of those came from the LB positions (somewhere, Bob Lilly, Randy White, Too-Tall Jones and the ghost of Harvey Martin are singing the old Beatle tune "Yesterday"). That will just not cut it for the new 4-3 "Tampa-2" defense that new DC Monte Kiffin will be installing . . . and the defensive philosophy is built upon pressure from the defensive line, most notably the 3-technique DT disrupting the interior (does anyone remember Warren Sapp?) Dallas has potential candidates on the roster for the position, but pass-rushers are always at a premium. Kawann Short, despite being slowed by an ankle injury during the middle of the season, was productive in 2012, recording 43 tackles, 15.5 for a loss, 7.0 sacks, 4 passes broken up, 4 blocked kicks and a forced fumble. He was unable to run at the Combine due to an injury, but I have no doubt his Pro Day will be outstanding. But don't take my word for it . . . watch him in action as two of his sacks came against #1 Notre Dame.

3rd round: Menelik Watson, ROT, Florida State - 6'-5", 310

There’s something about destiny . . . I had grabs on Kyle Long, Brennan Williams and my pet cat this year, Menelik Watson. His combine numbers don’t take away from this fact: the best illustration of just how valuable Watson was to FSU in 2012 is how the team performed without him. Watson didn't start against N.C. State or Wake Forrest, as he dealt with an ankle injury. In those two games, FSU allowed 7 sacks. Although the former boxer and Division I basketball player for Marist College didn't start playing football until his sophomore season at Saddleback College (CA), there is no mistaking his footwork and athleticism . . . something sorely needed on the right side of the Cowboys’ OL.

4th round: Cornelius Washington, DE, Georgia - 6'4", 265

News flash: Cowboys franchise Anthony Spencer once again! Now that doesn’t mean he won’t be traded, but whether he is on the roster in 2013 or not, I believe there are candidates on the Cowboys roster to play strong-side DE (Jason Hatcher perhaps, Tyrone Crawford, Ben Bass, hell even Jarvis Moss) but we need to develop another speed rusher on the weak side to spell DeMarcus Ware (if not to plan for a defensive future without him). How about a clone of him physically? 4th round can be a developmental position . . . allow me to introduce Cornelius Washington – 6’4", 265 lbs, 34" arms, 9.5" hands, 4.55 forty, 36 reps, 39" vertical, 10’8" broad (explosion = 86).

5th round: Sanders Commings, CB, Georgia - 6'0", 216

So long Gerald Sensabaugh . . . I had a grab on D.J. Swearinger but he was selected earlier by Detroit in the same round, so I opted for a big CB to play Safety. Sanders Commings is 6’0", 216 lbs, clocked a 4.41 forty, 34.5" vertical and 9’9" broad. And if we’re truly looking for a "center-fielder" type FS, Commings played CF in baseball as well, drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2008. In 2012, he recorded 55 tackles, 4 for loss, 12 passes defended, 1 interception, 1 forced and recovered fumble in all 14 games as a starter. Commings shifted back into safety in some formations for Georgia so the transition should be an easy one.

Michael Williams, TE, Alabama - 6'6", 270

You say you want a blocking TE to get that running game around the corner??? I want the same thing, so let’s get the Tide Bulldozer (6’6", 270 lbs, 32-3/4" arms, 10-1/8" hands) for our power attack. I like former DL prospects who convert to the OL side . . . they have a "nastiness" about the way they finish their blocks. Williams didn't produce overwhelming statistics for a three-year starter, but he was often asked to stay home and block. The Tide's offensive line has been the best in college football the past few years and Williams is a large part of that as the unsung glue of the Alabama offense. He won't wow athletically or with speed, but his blocking ability makes him an attractive option for the Cowboys’ 2 (or even 3) TE package.

Not a bad mock. Not particularly fond of them once again trying the ol' CB-TO-FS project, with the 5th round pick. This draft is deep enough for safeties, tha tyou do not need to go this route. FFS! DRAFT A SAFETY.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is Blogging The Boys mock.

1st round: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri - 6'2", 294

I would have loved to take Jonathan Cooper here, but Long Ball has dibs on Cooper, so I go with the best player available here, and that to me is Richardson. With the presumed starters Ratliff and Hatcher both already over 30 years of age, the Cowboys could use an infusion of young, premier talent along the interior DL. Richardson is probably a top ten talent, who gets pushed down pretty far in this mock, and the Cowboys gobble him up. Richardson exceeded the athletic markers in all four events he participated in at the Combine. He is one of the most explosive players in this year's draft and has a solid record of production in college. The Cowboys get a top-tier, gap-penetrating defensive tackle for Monte Kiffin’s new 4-3 defense. Richardson is the type of explosive 3-technique that will solidify a defensive line for years, and he'll be the central piece to Kiffin's "Tampa-2", where the 3-technique DT, or undertackle, is the motor of the entire defense. Also, Richardson has the the kind of attitude and swagger that will have Jason Garrett swooning over him.

2nd round: Tank Carradine, DT, Florida State - 6'4", 276

Carradine has been screaming up the draft boards despite not taking part in the Combine. But news that Carradine would work out at his Pro Day, despite still recovering from a torn ACL suffered in November, has rocketed Carradine into first-round contention on some boards. Mind you, pre-injury Carradine was already a strong contender for a first round spot. Carradine displayed first round talent and production in his senior season (12 games, 80 tackles, 13 TFL, 11 sacks) and has a career production ratio of 1.50. And in addition to his pass rushing skills (16.5 sacks in two seasons) Carradine is an even better run stopper, which fits the profile of what the Cowboys want in a strongside DE perfectly. The Cowboys have a great track record of drafting injured players on the second day, and if their medical staff greenlights Carradine, the Cowboys will get a steal with one of the most talented pass-rushers in this year's draft - and at 6'4", 276 pounds. Carradine is the prototypical DE.

3rd round: Brian Schwenke, OG/OC, California - 6'3", 314

Schwenke put up outstanding measurables at the Combine, exceeding the targets for a lineman in five of seven drills. He beat Jonathan Cooper in the 40, the 10-yard split, the short shuttle and the 3-cone, matched him in the broad jump, and got beat by half an inch in the vertical and four reps on the bench press. Schwenke looked really good at the Senior Bowl where he played canter, but he can play guard just as well: he started games at three different positions during his college career, making 16 starts at left guard, 12 at center and eight at right guard. He's very explosive off his snap, gets his hands on his target very quickly, and with a 4.99 40-time has the speed to be an effective blocker in the zone scheme the Cowboys are likely to favor.

4th round: Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas Pine-Bluff, 6'5", 306

Armstead is already scheduled for a pre-draft visit with the Cowboys. Up close, they'll get to see an outstanding athlete for the position who dominated the Combine. Ultra-fast for his size and athletic on the move, he is the prototype of what offensive tackles will should look like in the future. He's already shown a knack for getting to the second level and cut off linebackers, which leads me to believe he can be an immediate impact player for the Cowboys, though maybe not as a tackle: Armstead will be a terrific blocking tight end (or extra tackle, whatever you want to call it) and I'd use him in that role right away while preparing him to take over the tackle spot in a year or two. Even at 306 pounds, Armstead would have been the seventh fastest tight end at the Combine, and linebackers across the league would think twice about going up against a charging Armstead.

5th round: Zaviar Gooden, OLB, Missouri - 6'1", 234

Gooden outperformed all linebackers at the Combine, recording the fastest 40-time, short shuttle, 3-cone and long shuttle, and placing among the best in all other drills. He's an extremely fast and fluid linebacker with an aggressive attitude who projects as a Will linebacker and a special teams demon. You can do a lot worse in the fifth round.

6th round: Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State - 6'1", 230

I've heard enough about the "Jitterbug" or "change-of-pace-back" the Cowboys should pick. What the Cowboys need is a back who can replace DeMarco Murray if Murray has to sit out with an injury - as has been the case every season so far. Pound-for-pound, Bell is the second fastest runner in this year's draft class, with a speed score of 110.2. Murray, at 6’0" and 213 lbs had a speed score of 112.6, and Bell could be a runner who can come in and handle 20+ carries for a few games the next time Murray misses a month, without the Cowboys offense missing a beat. This is a guy who compares favorably to LaGarette Blount in terms of size and power and pure "ground and pound" ability. He' also a solid pass catcher and has the size (the skills he'll need to learn) to be a good pass protector.

This is not a bad mock either. But no way does Armstead falls to the 4th round. In fact, I very well can see Armstead being this year's Tyson Alualu-Bruce Irving draft pick. I'd substitute Tank Carradine for Armstead. And then have Cornelius Washington in the 4th. Don't know much, well actually anything about Xaviar Goodman.

Not liking that they didn't address safety.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Both are pretty good. Drafttek's would be a coup IMO

Definitely. Problem with the second mock by BTB, is that I don't think Richardson will be there at #18. I don't see Richardson making it out of the top 10.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Geez, I'd be pretty stoked about the Drafttek mock. Need to find a RB and S in FA, but that could work out real nice.

Reaction score
I'd shit my pants in excitement if we came away from the draft with either of those scenarios.

But you can tell fans are doing those mocks instead of the Cowboys front office by virtue of how many selections are dedicated to the trenches.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
DRAFTTEK'S LATEST MOCK 3/15/13.

Round 1:(18) North Carolina - G - Jonathan COOPER

Round 2:(47) Georgia - DT - Jonathan JENKINS

Round 3:(80) Teaxas A&M - OLB - Sean PORTER

Round 4:(111)Arkansas-Pine Bluff - ROT - Terron ARMSTEAD

Round 5:(144) South Carolina - DE - Devin TAYLOR

Round 6:(175) Michigan St. - RB - Le'Veon BELL

Armstead in the 4th is a headscratcher; no way he makes it out of the 2nd. But I do like this mock. It'd be like Jerry to draft a space-eating DT for the 4-3, when we could have used one in the 3-4.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I like the second draft the best but what do we do at safety? Even if we did get Barber cheap for a year we need to address safety.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
DRAFTTEK'S LATEST MOCK 3/15/13.

Round 1:(18) North Carolina - G - Jonathan COOPER

Round 2:(47) Georgia - DT - Jonathan JENKINS

Round 3:(80) Teaxas A&M - OLB - Sean PORTER

Round 4:(111)Arkansas-Pine Bluff - ROT - Terron ARMSTEAD

Round 5:(144) South Carolina - DE - Devin TAYLOR

Round 6:(175) Michigan St. - RB - Le'Veon BELL

Armstead in the 4th is a headscratcher; no way he makes it out of the 2nd. But I do like this mock. It'd be like Jerry to draft a space-eating DT for the 4-3, when we could have used one in the 3-4.

Not as much of a fan of this one, mainly because I dont like Jnekins that much nor do I think there's much hope Armstead makes it to the 4th rd. The other picks are all good though IMO.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I still love that first draft. Its possible all 6 of those picks could play extensively this year.

Williams is one of my fav's for a late round blocking TE add.

Washington could be a real gem for somebody, and I think Marinelli would love this kid.

Top Bottom