Reaction score
Ranking the Cowboys' position groups: Which unit leads Dallas' defense by default?
By SportsDayDFW.com

Jon Machota and Brandon George of The Dallas Morning News are back with an all-new edition of Candidly Cowboys breaking down the Cowboys defensive roster for 2016. In this episode they ranked the Cowboys strength by defensive position. They also indicated which player at each position to watch at training camp. Here are some highlights.

1. Linebackers
Machota: "They seem like a No. 1 group or at least more deserving of a No. 1 spot if Rolando McClain weren't suspended for the first 10 games. But with the recent addition of Justin Durant and then also just the fact of, at the end of the day Sean Lee is without a doubt the best linebacker in the NFC East. I recently compared the linebacking crews for each NFC East team, and Sean Lee alone makes the Cowboys' the strongest linebacking group in the NFC East -- which I think is crazy because I don't think anybody looks at this Cowboys team and are just like, 'Yup, we're set at linebacker. Don't have to worry about anything else.' Just shows you, across the league when you look at it, there's very few teams that you're like, 'That team's set at linebacker.' It's an evolving position, it's changing with the way the game has changed in the NFL."

George: "The interesting thing is they just obviously signed Justin Durant to a one-year deal. They're bringing back Justin Durant, a veteran linebacker who will help them as far as depth goes and who will have a chance to actually start. Sean Lee's obviously locked in as one of the guys. It's just a question of whether you keep him at weak-side linebacker or if you move him to middle linebacker. In the end, I think it would be best to keep him at weak-side. If you look at the season he had last year, it's just the optimal position, in this defensive scheme too because the three-technique defensive tackle will cover the weak-side linebacker up on every snap. That allows the weak-side linebacker to kind of roam and to tackle in space and make plays on this defense. And they need a playmaker and obviously Sean Lee's that guy.

"So I think if you keep him at weak-side, who do you start at middle linebacker? That's going to be a big question. Is it Justin Durant? Anthony Hitchens? Who will step up in that role? Justin Durant's probably better on the weak side but he's played middle linebacker for the Cowboys in the past and you can plug him in there. You look at the strong side and I think Kyle Wilber will push on that side to start at strong-side. He's so good at the line of scrimmage and his pass-rush ability gives him the chance to sack the quarterback and that's something they will need -- an extra boost there because they don't have the pass rush along the defensive line. So Kyle Wilber's the guy I think you look at at maybe strong-side and then Anthony Hitchens if he doesn't land in the middle will have a chance to be over there as well. So you have some depth there and like Jon said, it's probably the strongest position group with the Cowboys defense but that's not saying a whole lot."

Machota: "I've got Mark Nzeocha as my seventh linebacker. That's because I think there's some upside there. He could potentially be a middle linebacker which you obviously don't have a lot of strength there at that position. It's going to be a key spot for them and even if he doesn't come in and blow you away right away I think he can do something on special teams. And that's another reason why I think they go with seven, because linebacker's a position you're going to need on special teams.
"As far as Jaylon Smith goes, I know there's some people that because Jerry Jones said that he could play this year have their hopes up, I wouldn't even consider that right now. I don't think you should factor in Jaylon Smith this year. I think focus on 2017 with that and that he can be right for that year and get back and have a very productive NFL career and play at an elite level. But for this year don't even have Jaylon Smith under consideration. It's Justin Durant, Hitchens, Damien Wilson, Nzeocha, (Andrew) Gachkar and Lee. That's pretty much who I got in the group barring any injuries."

2. Defensive backs
Machota: "This might be the defensive line if Randy Gregory and DeMarcus Lawrence aren't serving suspensions but because they are I have to go with the defensive backs. If they are healthy, I actually think they are solid with Orlando Scandrick, Morris Claiborne and Brandon Carr as your three top corners and then Byron Jones and Barry Church as your safeties. If you are able to keep that group out there whenever they go in the nickel all season I think you would see the turnovers go up. I think they would actually be pretty good on the back end. Now obviously, they have to stay healthy."

George: "Not having Scandrick last year was just a big loss for the Cowboys. He adds so much to the defense and just from attitude alone. You get Orlando Scandrick back and he's healthy I think that'll help that secondary out a lot. You also have an interesting situation with the secondary because a lot of these guys are on the last years of their deal so they're playing for that next contract. So Mo Claiborne, Brandon Carr, Barry Church, J.J. Wilcox, all these guys are in the last years of their deal. So they're going to have a lot to prove this year, a lot to play for. They all want to turn in big seasons and obviously cash in on that next deal.
"The big thing for me is to watch Byron Jones in training camp. He's going to be a full-time safety now, not play any cornerback, so I think that allows him to really mature in year two and see what he can do. I think he will have a chance to have a breakout season for the Cowboys."

3. Defensive line
Machota: "Now we go over to defensive line. That position is totally up in the air because there's all these pieces that all you can really talk about is potential for what they could be. There's not a lot of proven ... This year you don't know who might step up. I feel confident that Tyrone Crawford if he's healthy will step up. If I had to predict right now, I'd say he leads the team in sacks mainly because if you don't have Lawrence or Gregory playing the first four games you have a four-game advantage on those guys. They need him to be great at that three-technique. If this defense is going to take a step forward, Tyrone Crawford is going to have to be a beast up there. If I had to put in my three key guys in this defense, I'd say it's Sean Lee, Tyrone Crawford and Byron Jones."

George: "I think when you look at the line as a whole, they'll probably be keeping nine defensive linemen. They could go long at this position because it's such a weak area for this defense. They could go to 10 and maybe trim a DB or perhaps trim an offensive lineman there as far as the depth goes because they're so good at offensive line. Who do they keep? You obviously got Tyrone Crawford in the middle, Cedric Thornton they added the veteran defensive tackle from Philadelphia. He's gonna be a guy that has a chance to start there. A lot of these guys you'll notice have a lot of position flex. That's what Rod Marinelli wants, he'll try to use eight players there. A lot of guys will move in and out. One of those guys is obviously David Irving, a guy that can play inside or outside, Terrell McClain, Jack Crawford, a guy that you have a lot of position flex with. These are guys that should make the final roster. Maliek Collins, he's injured now but a third-round pick you know he's going to be on the final roster. And then at end you added Benson Mayowa from the Raiders. He's a guy that'll probably have a good chance to start at right defensive end maybe. On the left side you have Charles Tapper and Ryan Russell. Ryan can play on the right side as well. Both those guys should see a lot of playing time early. Charles Tapper is the fourth-round pick out of Oklahoma. He's gonna have a chance to really impress the Cowboys early.
"All these guys as you notice a pretty common theme are unproven guys. They need a big training camp. They need to be impressive because if you're impressive in training camp with this defensive line you'll have a chance to start. You'll have a chance to play more snaps. And that's what it's going to be about early on -- impressing Rod Marinelli enough to increase your snap count."

Reaction score
Obviously it is the linebackers on the strength of Lee alone. He's the only truly good NFL player on our defense. The only real difference maker. Problem being his injury history.

Oh, and once again we have the Cowboys media playing up the return of Scandrick as if he is Ronnie Lott out there. Again, Scandrick only seems good because he has Carr and Claiborne to compare with. In reality he is just an average CB at best. Certainly an upgrade over the two Jerry's Kids (Mo & Carr), but I know what a good DB looks like, and so far that is not Scandrick at all.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
No kidding on Scandrick. He's a good player, was a very good draft pick in the 5th round, but my god, the team and media are acting like he's Deion. He's merely a pretty good player, not some game changer.

And it doesn't seem like it, but this is his ninth year. That's a lot of mileage and some age for a position and player whose game is dependent on speed and quickness.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I actually think the DL is in better shape than the other units, especially if you discount the suspensions.

Crawford and Thornton are quality starters. Lawrence is a quality starter. Gregory has a lot of upside. The depth isn't bad.

I think the other areas have more question marks and depth issues when compared to DL.

Reaction score
I actually think the DL is in better shape than the other units, especially if you discount the suspensions.

Crawford and Thornton are quality starters. Lawrence is a quality starter. Gregory has a lot of upside. The depth isn't bad.

I think the other areas have more question marks and depth issues when compared to DL.

I don't see one positive on the DL this year. Not one. Depth is non-existent since we don't even have a quality set of starters.

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sold on what Scandrick can do in his return. That was a major injury (although not as major as it used to be due to advances in medical science). Like someone else said, he's got 9 years NFL time, so he's no spring chicken. He's our best cornerback by default. Unless Jones is playing CB but I'm under the impression he's a safety this year.

Really like Crawford and Thornton as solid steady players. Neither are game changers. Want to believe DeMarcus is going to be the real deal but I just want to see a little more first. Not sure that Gregory has the mental make up to succeed or be relied upon. Outside of them, there's really not much there.

Reaction score
Thornton and Scandrick are major improvements over the people we had in 2015. It's not even close.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I dont think any unit on defense is a strength. Sean Lee is a nice payer the four games a year he plays, and he just turned 30.

Top Bottom