Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- After four games, DeMarco Murray finds himself in the same conversation with Jim Brown, O.J. Simpson and Emmitt Smith.

They are the only four running backs to open a season with four straight 100-yard games and a rushing touchdown. Yet Murray does not much care that he is surrounded by Hall of Famers.

“That’s the last thing I’m worried about,” Murray said.

Murray ran for 149 yards on 24 carries in the Cowboys’ 38-17 win against the New Orleans Saints on Sunday, following up a 100-yard effort in Week 3 against the St. Louis Rams, which followed up a 167-yard effort against the Tennessee Titans in Week 2 and a 118-yard effort against the San Francisco 49ers in the season opener.

Murray’s 534 yards rushing are the second-most in team history in the first four games of a season. Smith had 543 yards in 1995.

“He’s a damn good running back,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He runs downhill. He’s got great vision. He breaks tackles. He makes people miss. He finishes runs.”

Murray had touchdown runs of 15 and 28 yards, both times he victimized Saints safety Jairus Byrd.

On the first Byrd was surprised at Murray’s speed around the corner after tight end Jason Witten sealed the edge. On the second he left Byrd flat-footed.

“I think it’s angles,” Murray said. “I definitely see him and I’ve got to set him up a certain way. It’s easier for me and I love what Dez Bryant did, staying on the corner, not push cracking to get to the safety. I’d rather him stay on the cornerback. It’s easier for me to set that guy up.”

More important to the Cowboys was the fact that he ended one streak by not fumbling. He fumbled in each of the first three games after losing only three fumbles in his first three seasons.

“DeMarco was inspirational,” owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. “I’m glad to see him have a game where he didn’t turn the ball over. It became a positive not only that our offensive line was playing so well, but then we saw DeMarco gaining yards after they had finished their jobs.”

Top Bottom