Reaction score
Rodney Harrison likes Alan Ball

SAN ANTONIO - In 2009 Alan Ball made four starts at safety. That puts him only 155 behind Rodney Harrison, the former Chargers and Patriots great who gave him an encouraging word Tuesday.

Harrison, the only player in league history to record 30 sacks and 30 interceptions in his career, has been on hand at the Alamodome the last couple days, taking in Cowboys training camp as homework for his studio role on NBC's "Sunday Night Football." That makes Harrison a member of the national media now, Harrison part of a group which roundly doubts the strength of the Cowboys' free safety options.

But after seeing Ball up close, Harrison's not so down on the presumed starter.

"The guy has the potential," Harrison said. "He can play in the slot, he can play cornerback, he can play safety. Rangy guy that can cover, that's what you want. He can do a lot of different things, and the fact he's playing different positions really gives him an inside edge because now he knows exactly what the cornerbacks are thinking."

For many, Ball's history as a cornerback makes it hard to believe he will be able to hold up and perform the tackling duties of a traditional safety. Indeed, Ball is some 30 pounds lighter than Harrison was when he played, weighing around 190 pounds. Harrison was a prototypical strong safety, while Ball is more a part of the new breed of guys at the position who can cover. He said that doesn't mean he can't tackle too.

Wade Phillips has said Ball may have to drag bigger guys down on occasion instead of wrapping up for a perfect form tackle.

"For me tackling is all about your approach to the game," Ball said. "If you want to get somebody on the ground you can get them on the ground. So that's what my focus is. I've always been able to tackle since I started playing the game. I've always played defense, so I never looked at it as though I couldn't do it."

In case Ball ever wants some technique pointers on how to wrap up, he can now give Harrison a call. The two-time Super Bowl Champion gave Ball his phone number, and a word of friendly advice.

"Everyone's putting the question mark around the safety position," Harrison said. "I said it shouldn't ever be a question mark in your mind. I said I've been here for two days and I've seen the way you work, the way you prepare yourself, so I said just go out there and play football and have fun. Don't worry about outside expectations or outside opinions and thought, it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is how you feel about yourself."

Top Bottom