dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been watching this team since 1975. I've seen alot of good and some really bad. Still remember Landry's last year (3-13 and repeatedly getting blown out) and the single win 1989 season almost like they just happened. But never have I seen a more disappointing, mentally draining, demoralizing season than this.

Whatever can possibly go wrong with the franchise has. They've had a slew of injuries like no season I can ever remember. They've played in a funk virtually all year, save for a few moments here and there. Then there's the Jerry Brown/Josh Brent tragedy. Then I come home today and see that maybe Dez Bryant is gone for the year.

That said, I was really proud of the team yesterday. Upon hearing the Brent/Brown news late Saturday I fully expected us to get whacked badly yesterday. We hadnt been playing good and Cinci had. They had alot of momentum coming in, were playing at home in a game they really needed to win. Until yesterday, my impression of them (Bengals) is that they had been pretty well coached too. I'm not saying we played great or even outplayed them. But for a team to get on a plane to leave for out of town game the next day and learn while sitting there one of your teammates (and by all accounts, a very well liked and appreciated teammate) had just died and another basically ended his career with a very bad decision, it had to be devastating. I saw reports that said Cowboy players and coaches were crying both during the pregame warmups and at times during the game. Garrett appeared to be crying after watching Bailey's kick go through to win the game.

1) We were outplayed most of the game, but the last two series on offense and defense we made plays when it mattered and found a way to win. Ware and Spencer ended drives with key 3rd down sacks. Romo threw the ball great. Murray ran with tremendous determination. Bryant overcame whatever injury he had and made a couple key grabs, including a nice TD on a post from Romo. The OL that had been mauled virtually all day was able to block just enough to get two scores in their last two possessions.

2) Brandon Carr made the first really good play any DB has made on the ball all year for us yesterday. Anthony Spencer had his 3rd multi sack game, and for the 2nd time in 3 weeks he had 10+ tackles to go with multiple sacks. The new guy we signed off the Pats squad played ok I thought. he gave up a couple completions, although one of them he had perfect coverage and their TE made a great one handed grab. He was also right on the guy on another completion he gave up.

3) Romo looked like he was mentally and physically spent yesterday to me. Great job by him on those last two drives. He took a beating again.

4) Nate Livings I thought had been having a decent year. Not great in any sense, but adequate level of play for a guy manning the LG spot. But I thought he played awful yesterday. Doug Free was his usual lousy self and got benched for a few series. Unfortunately Parnell didnt appear to have played any better, and on one drive he was beaten badly on 2 or 3 straight plays.

5) What a huge loss it will be if Dez is gone for the last 3 games. He's having a sensational last 6 weeks or so and is right now by far the best offensive player we have. The offense already struggled to score points anyway, if he is gone it'll probably insure we struggle to score 10-14 pts a game the rest of the year.

6) Love DeMarco Murray. I only hope next year he can stay healthy for 16 games. If he is, and gets any kind of decent OL play he's put up some massive numbers. He can truly do it all. What a steal where we got him in the draft.

7) Absolutely fucking love that we punked Mike Zimmer. I was the founder and President of the original GROZ movement. Yesterday was absolutely the story of Mike Zimmer's career as a DC. Dominate a game for almost the entire day, then play like shit in the end and get your team beat. I saw it OVER and OVER and OVER while he was here in Dallas. Finally we got some payback.

8) I mentioned above that I thought going in the Bengals were fairly well coached, but I changed my mind after watching them yesterday. They arnt. they had what I think was a really stupid game plan offensively. They should have run the ball all day. they definitely should have run all over us once it was 19-10. And the clock management they had was horrible. Blew all their second half timeouts fairly early in the 4th qtr, and couldnt do anything to get the ball back in the end. And of cours ethere's the above mentioned Zimmer factor with the game on the line.

9) I think Garrett's gone after the Washington game, but I still like him. I felt sorry for him yesterday at the end of the game. I think he knows what's coming at seasons end. I hope he gets another chance somewhere and does well. I think the college level might be a perfect match for him. I'm really disappointed that its probably not going to end well for him here.

10) With the above in mind. Tom Landry lasted 29 years. Jimmy Johnson put 5 in, and rebuilt an NFL team completely into the last true dominant NFL franchise we've seen- winning two super bowls. Its been 19 years since. We've now had Switzer, Gailey, Campo, Parcells, Wade and Garrett and other than the NFC Champ loss & Super Bowl win Switzer rode along for, and and the 13-3 & 11-5 seasons we had under Wade, this team has done nothing. 4 seasons out 19 something good happened. We're changing coaches every 3 years. Good franchises dont do that. If they do fire Garrett, Jones had better hire an A-1 proven winner and get out of the way.

Last edited:

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
No mention of Danny McCray?

I thought McCray, Livings, and Free had as bad a game as a professional football player could. Awful.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No mention of Danny McCray?

I thought McCray, Livings, and Free had as bad a game as a professional football player could. Awful.

McCray is awful. Sensabaugh was terible too except for the ncie play he made in the endzone to break up one TD.

I said in some thread yesterday after the game that it should be apparent to everyone now why they held onto Matt Johnson on the roster for so long.

Its really too bad Church got hurt. Then Peprah too, Peprah at least seemed to have some clue against the pass.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
4) Nate Livings I thought had been having a decent year. Not great in any sense, but adequate level of play for a guy manning the LG spot. But I thought he played awful yesterday. Doug Free was his usual lousy self and got benched for a few series. Unfortunately Parnell didnt appear to have played any better, and on one drive he was beaten badly on 2 or 3 straight plays.

And he said he had something to "prove" to his ex-team this week. Yeah, he proved them right.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of that.

Especially how poorly coached Cincy is.

Im pretty sure the Bengals burned all 3 of their timeouts in the 3rd qtr. That, and whoever decided to go away from the run, what an idiot.

They are at least as stupid of a group as we are, if not more.

Reaction score
10) With the above in mind. Tom Landry lasted 29 years. Jimmy Johnson put 5 in, and rebuilt an NFL team completely into the last true dominant NFL franchise we've seen- winning two super bowls. Its been 19 years since. We've now had Switzer, Gailey, Campo, Parcells, Wade and Garrett and other than the NFC Champ loss & Super Bowl win Switzer rode along for, and and the 13-3 & 11-5 seasons we had under Wade, this team has done nothing. 4 seasons out 19 something good happened. We're changing coaches every 3 years. Good franchises dont do that. If they do fire Garrett, Jones had better hire an A-1 proven winner and get out of the way.

The reason this has been necessary is obvious. Parcells was actually a fine hire. If Jerry had any sense, he would have moved Parcells into Ciskowski's position, and made Payton the HC in waiting. We probably would have kept Sparano around that way. People want to criticize Parcells for his drafts, but the fact is that our core was brought in by Parcells and his staff.

Jimmy and Parcells both failed in Miami because that franchise is a fucking joke. They're notoriously cheap. It's hilarious that they would not pull the trigger to get RGIII. They were gifted Marino in '83 and they haven't come up with a single good pick or free agent since that time. Do you realize how long ago that is? bb doesn't jack off to girls born before '98, and this is 15 years earlier than that even. Wow.

If we're really going to get rid of Garrett, then there should be no other major personnel decisions made until the new coaching staff is hired. We have no idea if a player really sucks right now, or if he's just not being coaching appropriately by all these Ginger clowns. I still don't think we should have ever let Bennett walk. The guy is a headcase, but I know for sure that Judd or Jeff or Jim--or whatever the fuck our TE coach's name is--blows absolute chunks as a coach.

Maybe Doug Free is the greatest Olineman in the history of time. I want an actual real coach to evaluate some of these assholes.

Reaction score
Agreed that Cincy is horribly coached.

The entire middle of our defense has been gutted. 2 missing nose tackles, 2 missing ILB's, and a missing safety. Just run it down our throats.

That is what I expect Pittsburgh to do next week. They have some big backs who I think will eat us alive by the fourth quarter.

Reaction score
Also was happy to beat Pacman after his shit talking, and to beat Zimmer. Hated that guy here in Dallas. You know your Oline is terrible when a Zimmer defense spends the afternoon on your quarterbacks ass.

VAcowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Good stuff, db.

My question is: How can anyone with basic football knowledge watch this season and NOT see that this team needs to get serious about fixing the OL? They arguably played their worst game of the season yesterday.

If they do fire Garrett, Jones had better hire an A-1 proven winner and get out of the way.

The only "proven" coaches I can see putting up with Jerry are Payton and Holmgren.

Top Bottom