dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Really really sweet win. After all the 2nd half meltdowns and disappointing losses last year, finally we finish somebody off.

It wasnt a perfect game. There was some bad penalties that need to be cleaned up. The pass rush was still a little hit and miss, although getting Jay Ratliff back and close to 100% would certainly help. The OL is a work in progress.

1) Romo was awesome last night. Other than the pick it was definitely one of his best games. Despite being under pretty good pressure alot of the night his accuracy was amazing.

2) That DeMarco Murray kid, he's pretty good. We definitely have a whole new dimension on offense with him on the field. He's physical. he has great hands. he makes good cuts and he has speed. The total package. And he doesnt fumble either. Cant believe we got this guy with a 3rd rd pick.

3) Pretty sure all the discussion about the 3rd WR spot is over. Ogletree silenced alot of doubters last night, came up huge in the game. After his TC/preseason and last night I think people can see why the Cowboys were patient with him. He has alot of talent. He has a couple more games like that and he will make a mint somewhere this offseason. Solid games by Bryant and Austin too. We are loaded at the skill positions.

4) They (Giants) missed a couple of potential plays and still made a couple others, but its obvious that our secondary IS vastly improved. That clip they showed at some point of the game of all the CB cover plays (just blanketing their WR's) had to bring a smile to everyone's face. Claiborne looks like he is gonna be the real deal. Church is a massive upgrade over Elam and Carr is a top notch CB. I will say I am anxious to see Mike Jenkins though. If he is healthy and plays with the same intensity he did last year, he could be a huge upgrade to the nickel/dime defense. Unlike Scandrick, who covers ok and tackles ok, Jenkins can cover and actually make plays on the ball. I thought Scandrick missed a couple of chances to make plays on the ball last night, something he has always had a problem with.

5) Our LB group is really good. Spencer didnt have any wow plays and quietly had a good game, He was very good against the run, had a couple of pressures and even had a couple nice plays vs the pass. I thought Bruce Carter showed well in his first start. Ware and Lee are all pro players. Butler probably could have had at least 1 sack and maybe 2 if not for blatant holds the Giants OT got away with.

6) I'm not going to waste alot more time on the refs. I dont care what anyone says here it was not "even"...they got away with freaking murder and then had the audacity to cry about the calls after the game.

7) OL hung in there, but all the false starts have got to be cleaned up. 5 in one game by the OL, 3 by Tyron Smith. I know the Giants DL is tough and we were on the road, but thats too many. And we're going to a stadium next week that year in and year out leads the league in opponents false starts. The blocking was hit and miss although there were some plays that were blocked quite well. I think there's some potential, but they need time together. Ryan Cook really impressed me, not so much that he was dominant as a blocker or anything. But he comes into a tough situation after being here less than a week, on the road against a great defensive front and doesnt have a single mis-snap or bad exchange. Jones hinted Cook would end up starting, but it might happen alot sooner than he thought. I do wonder about Free though. He didnt look that much better at RT last night than he did at LT last year. If he doesnt step it up he might be out of his job by the bye week too.

8) Chris Jones only had two punts, but one went 60 yds and the other was 48 and downed inside the 20. Good night for him. Bailey was his usual self. Coverage units were fine save one decent kickoff return by them. Our return game was a zilch though.

9) IMO, this was the best opening day win since the 1995 opener vs them (Giants) when we won 35-0. Maybe you throw the 5 TD Aikman game vs Wash (win in OT in 1999) in the discussion but I do think this one means more. The Skins were a decent team and we were ok, but the Giants are a championship team.

10) Have to give props to Witten for being out there, he deserves it. He's a true throwback and I'm sure it had players fired up knowing he'd suit up. Wasnt one of his better games (he looked like he had lost some weight to me, looked a little tired) but him being out there was ultimately a positive.

Great win. Hopefully the long weeks gets some guys healthier and gets the OL more reps together in practice. Seattle will tough on the road but a 2-0 start would be absolutely huge for this season.

Reaction score
Good post, but I disagree with:

9) IMO, this was the best opening day win since the 1995 opener vs them (Giants) when we won 35-0. Maybe you throw the 5 TD Aikman game vs Wash (win in OT in 1999) in the discussion but I do think this one means more. The Skins were a decent team and we were ok, but the Giants are a championship team

The 2007 season opener vs the Giants was a better game.

This one was more satisfying though, based primarily on how much hype and how little credit we were given by anyone. It's like we were sacrificial lambs.

I'm so glad we beat them in their house on a night where they celebrated past SB wins, etc.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Good post, but I disagree with:

The 2007 season opener vs the Giants was a better game.

This one was more satisfying though, based primarily on how much hype and how little credit we were given by anyone. It's like we were sacrificial lambs.

I'm so glad we beat them in their house on a night where they celebrated past SB wins, etc.

Better "game" but not a better win IMO. Based on some of the things you noted.

Reaction score
I find it comical that some Giants players and anti-Cowboy members of the media were actually complaining about the refs.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
When was the last time we pulled a win like this out? Forget being on the road, it seems like anytime we've played a decent team on national television where we're the only game it has been fucking embarassing. Last night we were setup to be the homecoming bitch (TM theebs) and we came out and make no mistake we beat their asses. Score doesn't reflect how much better we were.

I can't remember the last time that happened. It really felt like a shift happened.

Reaction score
The Saints game? It just seemed that everyone had written off the Cowboys for this game. They just need to stay humble and keep working.

I thought Carter was a surprise. Great to move on from the slow/thumping middle linebackers to these quicker/younger guys that can fly around and make plays.

Reaction score
When was the last time we pulled a win like this out? Forget being on the road, it seems like anytime we've played a decent team on national television where we're the only game it has been fucking embarassing. Last night we were setup to be the homecoming bitch (TM theebs) and we came out and make no mistake we beat their asses. Score doesn't reflect how much better we were.

I can't remember the last time that happened. It really felt like a shift happened.

Piggybacking Everlasting, I'd have to say the Saints game.

It's been a while, and they're rare for this team.

Hopefully last night is a sign of that changing.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah but that game was pretty even right? Til Ware's sack at the end the outcome was very much in question. We dominated them to a 14 point lead, then sat back and let them take forever to get another one and iced it on O. Just the flat out better team by a longshot.

Reaction score
My memory could be off, but I seem to remember us jumping all over the Saints that game, and they had to claw back into it.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
My memory could be off, but I seem to remember us jumping all over the Saints that game, and they had to claw back into it.

Yep. And I remember Folk missing an easy FG.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score

This. I hope this is a big momentum builder to build the season off of.

Top Bottom