C

Cr122

Dallas Cowboys' run defense to be tested without Marcus Spears

06:36 PM CDT on Friday, August 6, 2010

By GERRY FRALEY / The Dallas Morning News
gfraley@dallasnews.com

SAN ANTONIO – To everyone who ever wondered what life would be like for the Cowboys' defense without Marcus Spears, get ready for a sneak peek at the answer.

It might surprise you.

Spears, the unheralded veteran end, is out for four to six weeks because of a sprained ligament in the left knee. Spears incurred the injury, the most significant of training camp to date for the Cowboys, late in Thursday's practice.

Spears is likely to miss the entire exhibition schedule, which opens with Sunday's Hall of Fame game against Cincinnati at Canton, Ohio. The Cowboys are optimistic Spears will be ready for opening day, at Washington on Sept. 12, because of his history as a quick healer. He sprained the right knee in the training camps of 2005 and '06 but made it back well in advance of the regular season.

"He'll be back," inside linebacker Bradie James said Friday. "This gives him a chance to rest his legs and get ready for the season. We'll need him."

Jason Hatcher replaced Spears on the first-team defense during a light workout that closed the Alamodome portion of training camp. Hatcher is talented and was playing well in camp before missing time because of a hyperextended left elbow.

Hatcher is not now at Spears' level.

Spears participated in 50 tackles, two for a loss, and had a career-high 2 ½ sacks last season. He usually plays only on first and second down. The job and the numbers seem pedestrian for the 20th player taken overall in the 2005 draft, nine spots after Cowboys' outside linebacker and sacks demon DeMarcus Ware.

To grasp what Spears means to this defense, look at other statistics.

The Cowboys base their defense on being stout against the run. They finished fourth against the run last season, allowing 90.5 yards per game. They gave up 3.97 yards per carry, ninth-lowest average in the league.

On first down, the Cowboys allowed 4.86 yards per carry, third-lowest total in the league. That success allowed the defense to dictate play by often putting offenses into difficult second-and-long situations.

To be successful again, the Cowboys must stop the run at the same rate. Spears' game is all about stopping the run. He usually lines up on the left side of the defense, the direction in which most offenses aim their running game. Spears and fellow end Igor Olshansky tie up blockers, freeing linebackers to make plays.

When third down arrives, the pass-rushers replace Spears and Olshansky. The pass rushers do not get that chance if Spears and Olshansky do not do their jobs on first and second down.

"Marcus is a really solid part of our defense," coach Wade Phillips said. "He's going to be where he's supposed to be. He's a smart player and a physical player. We'll miss him in the preseason."

Spears is also a mature player. Spears long ago accepted that he will not get eye-catching numbers. He makes the sacrifices that his position requires without complaint. His unselfishness helps set a tone in the locker room.

"My gratification comes from teammates," Spears said earlier this week. "The perception of those guys and my coaches and my owner is the only thing that matters to me. If they know that I'm doing my job, that's all that matters."

Spears will not be doing that job for several weeks. The difference could be glaring.

Tough against the run

A look at the top defenses against the run last season, based on yards allowed per game:

Team YPG YPC
Green Bay 83.3 3.59
Minnesota 87.1 3.90
Pittsburgh 89.9 3.87
Cowboys 90.5 3.97
Baltimore 93.2 3.43
YPG – yards allowed per game; YPC – yards allowed per carry

C

Cr122

I think Hatcher will do a good job, but we do need Spears at some point.

Top Bottom