C

Cr122

01:22 AM CDT on Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Column by TIM COWLISHAW / The Dallas Morning News | wtcowlishaw@dallasnews.com

Tim Cowlishaw
Archive | Blog | E-mail
SAN ANTONIO – I guess it comes as no real surprise that tears have not been shed and special newspaper sections are not being produced for a last look back at The Ken Hamlin Era.

Hamlin was not a great player for Dallas but he was, at times, a solid one. Secondary coach Dave Campo called upon him to be a leader and director of traffic, especially when injuries had forced inexperienced backs into the fire.

But Hamlin was not a big playmaker. He was famous for playing about 20 yards off the line of scrimmage ... or so it seemed.

Releasing Hamlin this off-season (he signed with Baltimore), the Cowboys are left with a last line of defense that is mostly unknown and largely inexperienced.

Gerald Sensabaugh and Alan Ball. Doesn't quite sound like Cliff and Charlie, does it?

Historically, when the Cowboys have been good, their safeties have played major roles in the success of the defense. Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters did exactly that in the '70s. Darren Woodson won three Super Bowl rings and became the franchise's all-time leading tackler.

Even a player such as James Washington could produce in big games as evidenced by the Super Bowl MVP votes he received for the Cowboys' second win over Buffalo.

In today's NFL, the big playmaking safety has become a staple in the best defenses. Troy Polamalu in Pittsburgh , Darren Sharper for New Orleans, Ed Reed in Baltimore, Brian Dawkins during his days in Philadelphia , Adrian Wilson in Arizona – all have made plays that turned the tide in playoff games.

In a team that seems equipped to challenge the NFL's best at most positions, are Sensabaugh and Ball up to the task?

This is one of the few real questions of concern that loom over the Cowboys these days. Sensabaugh played strong safety last year after coming over from Jacksonville. His experience makes him the leader at the back end, but nothing on his résumé suggests he's ready to be the NFL's next big difference-maker among safeties.

Sensabaugh has made 38 NFL starts, producing seven interceptions, a forced fumble and two fumble recoveries. Most of the turnovers were created as a Jaguar.

In 14 Cowboys starts last season, Sensabaugh had one interception.

Ball, who is expected to use his limited experience here to win the free safety job over Michael Hamlin, has made three starts at safety and spent limited time at corner as well. He has no NFL turnovers.

"I think I learned a lot those three games," Ball said Tuesday. "I played three positions last year – corner, nickel corner and safety – but that experience makes me very comfortable back there now."

Maybe it wasn't a surprise that coach Wade Phillips, in his opening news conference, announced that turnovers are overrated. The Cowboys defense has been pretty good at almost everything, awfully good at some things lately. But it's not a turnover machine and that may continue to be the case this year.

Even Campo said that while turnovers will be emphasized, it's all about the points you don't allow.

"We want to do better at interceptions, no question about it," Campo said. "But we mainly want to put people on the field who will stop the other team, and I think that's what we will do."

Campo said the team's system would allow the more experienced Sensabaugh to call out the defensive signals from the strong safety position.

"We could do that, but I don't see it happening," he said. "The one thing about Alan is that when he plays, he learns, and he has learned a lot from all of the things he has done for us."

When you've got DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer attacking quarterbacks from opposite sides and Pro Bowl cornerbacks Terence Newman and Mike Jenkins locking onto receivers, maybe you don't need a pair of Polamalus at safety.

The Cowboys like the youth, the speed and the enthusiasm of the players manning those spots today.

On a defense that figures to rank with the best in the league at other areas, that may be more than enough.

Top Bottom