Sal Monella

Man among boys
Reaction score
13110275.jpg

The Cowboys have signed Super Bowl XLVIII MVP Malcolm Smith, according to ESPN.com’s Todd Archer (Twitter link). Smith will give the Cowboys some much-needed reinforcement at linebacker as they make their playoff push in the final two games of the season.

Smith, who has ties to passing game coordinator Kris Richard, figures to see reps as Joe Thomas (knee), Sean Lee (pec, thigh) and Leighton Vander Esch (neck) work through injuries. He no longer profiles as an elite defender, but he offers experience and familiarity with Richard’s schemes.

Smith has not played since Week 9, when he was dropped by the Jaguars after a two-game stint. Over the years, he’s appeared in 102 games with 51 starts with totals of 393 tackles, six sacks, four interceptions, and nine forced fumbles.

If the Cowboys beat the Eagles on Sunday, they’ll clinch the NFC East and punch their ticket to the playoffs. If they lose, they’ll need a win over the Redskins and a Giants victory over the Eagles in Week 17 to reach the postseason.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm wondering if LVE is ever coming back. This signing seems to indicate not anytime soon.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I'm wondering if LVE is ever coming back. This signing seems to indicate not anytime soon.

Didn't LVE have a similar or the same injury in college? Seems like I remember something about that being the reason for the neck collar he wears.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

We had two injuries to backup LB's vs the Rams, the rookie kid Gifford is definitely done for the year, Joe Thomas might be out awhile as well.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We had two injuries to backup LB's vs the Rams, the rookie kid Gifford is definitely done for the year, Joe Thomas might be out awhile as well.
Yeah, I know our injury situation makes us better off than most contending teams with really only the exception in the LB corps, but last I heard they were looking at 2 more weeks at least for LVE to be out.

He had neck issues in college, it's got me wondering about his future. It might be a good idea just to leave him out of action until next year.

Top Bottom