Reaction score
@jonmachota
Claiborne: Doesn't matter if I play right corner or left corner or in the slot. "I'm ready to go." Looks forward to facing Eli, RG3 and Vick

Reaction score
I'm a little disappointed.

... is Claiborne really so much better than Jenkins that the upgrade is worth two other high quality rookies?

(Certainly doesn't say much about Jenkins and the Cowboys' decision to draft him.)

wyvrn

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm not happy with it. Glad we got a premier corner, but now we'll have $90 million in one position and have shit for pass rush besides Ware who is also getting older. I would have rather stayed put or moved up and gotten Cox, a true pass rushing end.

So what do they do about OLB, C, S, NT, and DE without a second round pick?

The problem with Jerry is he thinks you can build a pass defense from the outside in, but it's the pass rushers and defensive line who win games on defense.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The problem with Jerry is he thinks you can build a pass defense from the outside in, but it's the pass rushers and defensive line who win games on defense.

Pretty sure Rob Ryan had a major hand in this decision.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm a little disappointed.

... is Claiborne really so much better than Jenkins that the upgrade is worth two other high quality rookies?

(Certainly doesn't say much about Jenkins and the Cowboys' decision to draft him.)

A point I've made repeatedly tonight. CB was not a pressing concern. If Jenkins were a total dog, I'd see the wisdom.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
A point I've made repeatedly tonight. CB was not a pressing concern. If Jenkins were a total dog, I'd see the wisdom.

its a concern when one starter is coming off shoulder reconstruction and in the last yr of his deal, and the 3rd CB has proven to be just that, a 3rd CB

I still think Jenkins is either getting traded or moved to FS

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
PS just want to say I couldnt be more stoked about this. I wanted Kirkpatrick at 14 didn't think we had a chance for Claiborne holy shit this defense is going to kill.

Reaction score
Bucs taking Martin is good as it prevents Giants from getting him.

They won't go Fleener. Giants find TE's late.

I'd say they have to go Upshaw, no?

wyvrn

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Pretty sure Rob Ryan had a major hand in this decision.

Yep he likes to gamble and needs cover corners. Problem is, he has very few pass rushers so the strategy is not going to work.

They may try Jenkins at safety which if it works, would upgrade two positions. But I still don't like wasting the 2nd rounder or putting all your defensive eggs in the secondary basket.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep he likes to gamble and needs cover corners. Problem is, he has very few pass rushers so the strategy is not going to work.

They may try Jenkins at safety which if it works, would upgrade two positions. But I still don't like wasting the 2nd rounder or putting all your defensive eggs in the secondary basket.

He said they were going to bring more pressure packages this year. He could do it with numbers rather than pass rush talent, but to do that he'd have to know he had guys who could cover. He's got that now.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Dallas is saying Morris was the highest CB they've rated since Deion. Kind of a dubious claim as I don't think anyone in the FO was around when Deion was drafted.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dallas is saying Morris was the highest CB they've rated since Deion. Kind of a dubious claim as I don't think anyone in the FO was around when Deion was drafted.

I didnt hear them say that, but I did read they told Garrett Claiborne was the highest rated CB they've scouted in "years"

Thats pretty consistent with alot of the draft guides/draft gurus have been saying, thats he's as polished a CB as there has been in quite some time.

Said he was the #2 player on their board this year.

C

Cr122

I wasn't happy about losing our 2nd round pick, but I am happy we got Claiborne.

But dammit we need to address the trenches here soon.

wyvrn

Practice Squad
Reaction score
He said they were going to bring more pressure packages this year. He could do it with numbers rather than pass rush talent, but to do that he'd have to know he had guys who could cover. He's got that now.

LOL he brought pressure packages last year and it didn't matter! Granted they will cover a little better now, but it's not going to work without MULTIPLE players who can rush the passer.

If they commit 6-7 blitzers every play hoping someone wins a one on one battle, offenses will kill them with passes to the RB, TE, and crossing routes.

You win in the trenches first. Jerry likes pizzazz, so he picks WR and CB in the first round. But we know what track record Jones has without Jimmy Johnson, which is zilch.

Top Bottom