C

Cr122

September, 29, 2011 4:47 PM CT
By Calvin Watkins

IRVING -- The Washington Redskins were pretty upset at the accusations defensive tackle Stephen Bowen confused center Phil Costa into three bad snaps by calling out fake snap counts in Monday's game.

"I lost a lot of respect for Costa," Bowen, who played for the Cowboys from 2006-to-2010, said on Wednesday. "Just be a man and tell the truth. If that was the case, if we were making snap counts, how come no other offensive linemen jumped offsides? It makes no sense because he's lying. He just needs to be a man and stand by his word. Everybody respects a man who could tell the truth."

When told about what Bowen said after Thursday's practice, Costa said, "I’m not going to talk about that. I’m focused on the Lions now."

The Cowboys are working with Costa to make sure the bad snaps don't happen again. Loud music is being played at practice so the Cowboys can work on snapping the ball under loud conditions. Quarterback Tony Romo said it was the first time he's ever done that for a home game. The Cowboys host the Detroit Lions on Sunday. Former Cowboys center Andre Gurode, who is now playing for the Baltimore Ravens, called Costa on Tuesday to offer him encouragement.

"Dre' has always been a good guy," guard Kyle Kosier said. "So he's always been a good friend, an unbelievable player, that's just the type of guy he is. That's Andre."

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said the league should listen to the audio of the game because Costa was miked up for the nationally televised game on ESPN. The NFL controls when the mic is on or off. The Cowboys asked the league to look into the matter. Defenses are not allowed to yell out fake snap counts during games and if caught it's a 15-yard penalty.

Still for Bowen, a well-liked member in the Cowboys locker room, to be this upset adds some intrigued for the rematch, Nov. 20 at Landover, Md.

"I got no comment. I don't want to say anything, I already hear Bo is mad," Kosier said.

Coach Jason Garrett wants to minimize distractions with his football team, especially during the week quickly. He tells his team to move on 24 hours after wins and losses so it can focus on the next opponent.

"The biggest thing that we have to do as a football team and as a offensive line, is we just have to get it rectified, solved the issue," Garrett said. "There's been noise on the line of scrimmage in the NFL since Pudge Heffelfinger was around. So, that's how it works. We just have to understand what the issues are there and we have to focus on whose voices we're listening to and just get locked in and snap the ball the way it needs to be snapped."

FYI: Pudge Heffelfinger, an all-American guard from Yale, is considered the first professional football player. He was paid $500 to play for Allegheny on November 12, 1892.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So Bowens... what about Romo? Is Romo lying as well? Because he also is saying the same thing. Romo said that he went to the officials about it.

Cythim

Reaction score
Costa is a bitch for putting the blame on someone else. He was at home, there was no crowd noise to confuse him. Man up and admit you don't know what the hell do are doing, Costa.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Costa is a bitch for putting the blame on someone else. He was at home, there was no crowd noise to confuse him. Man up and admit you don't know what the hell do are doing, Costa.

Hudson houck said yesterday that the whole line complained about it, not just costa and that it was happening. You can even see the whole line jump on the first one....

Don't be so quick to blame costa when are guys are still saying it happened..

Here is a thought though, the only writer who asked about this yesterday was watkins...no why...cause he sucks...this is not a story anymore....the story is the lions.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Thats really the only time this sort of thing would work, when your a defense on the road. They expect the crowd to be quiet for the home team's offense, so they can bark out signals and be heard.

Cythim

Reaction score
Thats really the only time this sort of thing would work, when your a defense on the road. They expect the crowd to be quiet for the home team's offense, so they can bark out signals and be heard.

That is exactly wrong. At home you are able to know the difference between your QB and the defense. The refs should also hear it and throw the flag. On the road it is so loud it can be hard to distinguish the two so the center and the refs won't know the difference between QB or DL.

Cythim

Reaction score
Hudson houck said yesterday that the whole line complained about it, not just costa and that it was happening. You can even see the whole line jump on the first one....

Don't be so quick to blame costa when are guys are still saying it happened..

Here is a thought though, the only writer who asked about this yesterday was watkins...no why...cause he sucks...this is not a story anymore....the story is the lions.

Hudson Houck is covering for his boy. If the entire line gets fooled once shame on Washington, if Costa gets fooled five times (he also had the illegal snap penalty because he tried to catch himself) he is a moron who needs to be on the bench.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hudson Houck is covering for his boy. If the entire line gets fooled once shame on Washington, if Costa gets fooled five times (he also had the illegal snap penalty because he tried to catch himself) he is a moron who needs to be on the bench.

Right. Got it..

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You roll over way too easily.

Fine, if you think costa sucks that is fine. I am not going to sit and waste the morning arguing about it. U have the right to your opinion....

This is the main reason I don't post on the zone and never will again, everything is an argument.....I'm done with all that..

If you think costa sucks that is fine, I don't.

Idgit

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Fine, if you think costa sucks that is fine. I am not going to sit and waste the morning arguing about it. U have the right to your opinion....

This is the main reason I don't post on the zone and never will again, everything is an argument.....I'm done with all that..

If you think costa sucks that is fine, I don't.

Secretly, I think you think Costa sucks.

Reaction score
Whether they were doing it or not, its not an excuse for not adjusting to it all friggin game. Get it fixed and move on. Im tired of hearing about it.

theogt

Reaction score
I just wish we friggin' knew whether it was happening or not. I understand it's not a story anymore, but shit going unknown like this irks me, just because. Shanahan makes a good point -- if it ain't showing up on the mic, it likely didn't happen. But if Romo and the line are saying it did, I know who I'm believing.

And what was in that damn suitcase in Pulp Fiction?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That is exactly wrong. At home you are able to know the difference between your QB and the defense. The refs should also hear it and throw the flag. On the road it is so loud it can be hard to distinguish the two so the center and the refs won't know the difference between QB or DL.

On the road fans arnt screaming as loud as they can for the home team's offense when they break the huddle and line up.

This is pretty elementary, I guess I shouldnt be surprised you totally dont get it.

Reaction score
I just wish we friggin' knew whether it was happening or not. I understand it's not a story anymore, but shit going unknown like this irks me, just because. Shanahan makes a good point -- if it ain't showing up on the mic, it likely didn't happen. But if Romo and the line are saying it did, I know who I'm believing.

And what was in that damn suitcase in Pulp Fiction?

Did Romo ever say it was happening? All i heard was his post game interview where he said "Costa said they were calling out signals". So unless he talked about the subject again later on, i don't think he ever said he knew they were doing it.

Cythim

Reaction score
On the road fans arnt screaming as loud as they can for the home team's offense when they break the huddle and line up.

This is pretty elementary, I guess I shouldnt be surprised you totally dont get it.

This is where you don't know what you are talking about. When there is little noise the center should be able to hear the difference between Romo and the defense. When there is a lot of noise on the road all you hear is the call without being about to distinguish who made it. You get more false starts and bad snaps on the road because the line and the center have trouble hearing.

Try it out. Sit in your living room with the TV on with two other people and have one call your name. Will you know which one did it? Now turn on an action movie and crank the volume all the way up. It will be harder to tell which one calls your name the second time. You see how simple that is where more noise makes the difference? This shouldn't happen at home.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is where you don't know what you are talking about. When there is little noise the center should be able to hear the difference between Romo and the defense. When there is a lot of noise on the road all you hear is the call without being about to distinguish who made it. You get more false starts and bad snaps on the road because the line and the center have trouble hearing.

Try it out. Sit in your living room with the TV on with two other people and have one call your name. Will you know which one did it? Now turn on an action movie and crank the volume all the way up. It will be harder to tell which one calls your name the second time. You see how simple that is where more noise makes the difference? This shouldn't happen at home.

The reason you are wrong is because most teams use silent counts on the road, therefore fake snap calls by a defense wouldnt have any impact on the other teams offense. And teams use slient counts on the road because of the crowd noise fans make when the opponent is on offense.

Its why you almost always see road teams with more false starts.

Cythim

Reaction score
The reason you are wrong is because most teams use silent counts on the road, therefore fake snap calls by a defense wouldnt have any impact on the other teams offense. And teams use slient counts on the road because of the crowd noise fans make when the opponent is on offense.

Its why you almost always see road teams with more false starts.

If that is the case why did it happen in New York as well? Once again you are wrong.

Top Bottom