Reaction score
Colorado wide receiver Paul Richardson reportedly met with the Dallas Cowboys.

A WR for the Cowboys?

I think there's a consensus that the Cowboys could be looking for a wide receiver at some point in the draft, though probably not in the first few rounds of the draft. As such, it's no surprise to see that the highest-ranked wide receiver on our Pre-Draft Visit Tracker is Oregon's Josh Huff, who is ranked 136th (5th round) on the CBS big board, and is closely followed by Texas WR Mike Davis at 144.

What did come as a surprise then is to see that the Cowboys appear to have met with Colorado WR Paul Richardson in some capacity, according to Gil Brandt.

Richardson currently ranks 61st on the CBS big board, so that makes him an intriguing visitor for the Cowboys - whether as an official pre-draft visitor or as a player they've had a private workout with.

At 6-0, 175 pounds, is a little light for an NFL wide receiver, but he more than makes up for that with his speed. He clocked the third-fastest 40-time with 4.40 among all wide receivers at the Combine in February. Once in the NFL, he'll get the right nutritional counseling and weight training to beef up his wiry frame, so his weight is not necessarily a deal breaker. However, it is something teams will have to take into consideration, particularly since he tore his ACL in 2012 spring practice, and missed the 2012 season. He bounced back in fine form, finishing 2013 with 83 receptions for 1,343 receiving yards and ten touchdowns, which has led to repeated comparisons to former Eagle DeSean Jackson.

Essentially, as Mike Klis of the Denver Post noted, Richardson has "first-round speed and athleticism, second-round hands and fifth-round weight."

Here's one of the latest scouting reports on Richardson, courtesy of Tony Pauline at draftinsider.net:

Positive: Explosive receiver effective down the field or in underneath coverage. Smart player. Displays a sense of timing and fundamentally sound. Quickly releases off the line of scrimmage, has a burst of speed which he turns on in a single step, and stretches the field vertically. Effectively tracks the pass in the air, makes catches in contorted positions, and plays with balance. Uses the sidelines well, possesses good eye-hand coordination, and consistently makes catches away from his frame. Gets up in a crowd and fights to come away with the ball. Runs crisp routes, separates from defenders, and comes back into the clearing to make himself an available target. Plays with quickness and can run to the deep throw. A big-play receiver with a consistent game.

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt
Follow

#Colorado WR Paul Richardson's weight up to 180 (175 at combine). Speed to kill. Workout or visits w/ #Bucs, #Cowboys, #49ers, #Seahawks
Negative: Must turn up the intensity when blocking. Has a thin build and will struggle handling jams at the next level. Loses out in battles.

Analysis: When healthy, Richardson was a consistent receiver and a force to be dealt with. He comes with a solid game, has a high upside and could develop into a number two wideout at the next level. In the end Richardson may turn into one of the steals in May's draft.

Last year, the Cowboys had Terrance Williams on their board with a second-round grade, and ranked as the 23rd player overall. They were extremely pleased when they found Williams still available for the 74th overall pick in the third round.

This year, the Cowboys hold the 78th pick in the draft. If they have a speedy receiver who can be a vertical threat in Scott Linehan's offense ranked at the top of their board when that pick rolls around, should they take a wide receiver with their third-round pick?

Here's a summary of some of Richardson's measurements:

http://vimeo.com/81855220

Height: 6'0"
Weight: 175 lbs
Arm length: 32 5/8"
40-time: 4.40
Vertical: 38"
Broad: 10'04"
20-yard shuttle (Pro Day): 4.23
3-cone drill: 7.09 (Pro Day: 6.98)

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Paul Richardson played WR at Serra with Robert Woods, Marqise Lee, and George Farmer. Farmer has been sidelined by injuries at USC but was the best prospect of all 4. One of the best high school teams I've ever seen.

Richardson has some DeSean Jackson to him, only minus being a primadonna.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If we take him in the 2nd or 3rd round I will rip up my fan card. That is exactly something Jerry would do.

Entertainmunt ~eyewink~

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I like both of those players so u don't get why we need another receiver.

Those guys are decent role players, but neither is a guy I would feel all that good about as a starter.

This is a really deep WR draft, we'd probably be foolish to ignore the WR position this year.

As great as Dez is, he does have two years of lingering minor (so far) back issues. You cant ignore that.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We have 4 good wide recievers, but we do need another one if Dez goes down.

None if it will matter if we let teams take Dez out of the game and ignore Beasely and Harris like we did last year.

Romo just singling out Witten every play needs to end too. Just throw to him in short yardage and goalline situations.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Those guys are decent role players, but neither is a guy I would feel all that good about as a starter.

This is a really deep WR draft, we'd probably be foolish to ignore the WR position this year.

As great as Dez is, he does have two years of lingering minor (so far) back issues. You cant ignore that.

Yep

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I'd have no issue going WR in this draft. Especially one with speed or depth outside

CB or TE? Annoying

BTW, I don't think Garrett has a clue how to use Harris. He's underutilized on offense. Maybe Linehan can correct that, but I doubt it

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
CB or TE? Annoying

I think we should probably take one of each. Carr was awful last yr, he is young enough that hopefully he will bounce back, but if he struggles again in 2014 he will be gone after the season. Claiborne is in a similar boat, if he doesnt have a good year he is probably done here as well. BW Webb could get better, but he was a major disappointment last yr as well, and he obviously lacks size to be a everydown starter anyway. That leaves Scandrick, who had probably his best yr last yr but still lacks the playmaking skill a CB in this scheme needs.

With TE, we do need someone with size and blocking ability. I wouldnt be opposed to using a middle or later pick on a 3rd or 4th guy who could help out the run game. FB is another position they should probably use a late rd pick on.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I think we should probably take one of each. Carr was awful last yr, he is young enough that hopefully he will bounce back, but if he struggles again in 2014 he will be gone after the season. Claiborne is in a similar boat, if he doesnt have a good year he is probably done here as well. BW Webb could get better, but he was a major disappointment last yr as well, and he obviously lacks size to be a everydown starter anyway. That leaves Scandrick, who had probably his best yr last yr but still lacks the playmaking skill a CB in this scheme needs.

With TE, we do need someone with size and blocking ability. I wouldnt be opposed to using a middle or later pick on a 3rd or 4th guy who could help out the run game. FB is another position they should probably use a late rd pick on.

I hate you

How many god damn TEs can you put on the field? Already wasted a second on one last year. Find a blocker on the street

CB? Late rounds fine. Otherwise fix the lines first

Reaction score
I don't see wr as a need and think it sod be a wasted pick.

Especially considering the players/roles we have at TE.

Hannah would be a hard matchup for anyone lined up wide.

Let's also remember our head coach is a great offensive mind.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I hate you

I embrace the hatred directed to me by both you and the infamous boozerman

How many god damn TEs can you put on the field? Already wasted a second on one last year. Find a blocker on the street

We will have 4 TE's on this roster, and you will fucking like it.

CB? Late rounds fine. Otherwise fix the lines first

I think day three is fine for a CB pick

wyvrn

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Richardson is a boom or bust, but likely will have a career as a 'Alvin Harper' deep threat-type receiver (using speed more than size to get the ball). Personally, I like his potential. However, this is Jerry Jones becoming Al Davis and being fascinated with speed wing players.

The only reason I go get a WR this year is if I don't think we sign Dez due to looming salary cap issues. And if the Cowboys are considering that possibility, then they probably need to get a more well rounded receiver than Richardson.

Right now Richardson is a toy they don't need. They need to concentrate on the lines and add some LB depth, along with a FS type. DL should be 1st and 2nd round, unless a guy like Lewan falls to them at 16 in which I put him at RT and move Free to guard.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'd have no issue going WR in this draft. Especially one with speed or depth outside

CB or TE? Annoying

BTW, I don't think Garrett has a clue how to use Harris. He's underutilized on offense. Maybe Linehan can correct that, but I doubt it

Linehan finally found what Reggie Bush was good at. So he potentially could do something with Harris.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

I actually like O-Scan in the zone. He flies to the football and probably could be taught how to be a Charles Tillman, strip the ball away kind of dback.

Top Bottom