sbk92

Reaction score
USC offensive tackle Tyron Smith is working out for scouts at the school's Pro Day today. Tom Ciskowski, the Cowboys director of college and pro scouting, is among those watching with interest.

Smith is a candidate for the Cowboys with the ninth overall choice.

Draft analyst Dane Brugler offered his scouting report on Smith, whom Brugler ranks as the top offensive tackle:

1. TYRON SMITH | USC
6-5|307 lbs|3JR
Moreno Valley, CA (Rancho Verde HS)
12/12/1990 (age 20)

A two-year starter, Tyron Smith was a highly-recruited top-5 OL recruit out of HS and earned scholarship offers from several major programs, choosing USC over Florida, Notre Dame and UCLA. He served as the back-up LT in 2008 as a true freshman (10 games played/0 starts). With Charles Brown at LT, Smith moved to the right side in 2009 and earned a starting role as a sophomore (12 gp/12 st), starting all but one game at RT. With top recruit Matt Kalil taking over at LT, Smith stayed at RT in 2010 as a junior (12 gp/12 st) and was the only offensive Trojan to earn First Team All-Pac 10 honors. He skipped his senior season and decided to go pro.

STRENGTHS:Smith looks the part with ideal measureables and frame for the position – extremely long arms (36½”). He is a coordinated athlete with elite fluidity, flexibility and range, doing a nice job covering a lot of ground with quick feet. Smith has impressive lateral quickness to ride rushers, sinking his hips, bending at the knees and sealing the edge. He has good mobility to get to the second level and is balanced blocking in space. Smith has done a nice job adding weight and muscle since enrolling in 2008 and shows good natural strength with a strong initial punch on contact. He is a good run blocker, sustaining and finishing blocks through the whistle. Smith offers versatility with two years starting experience at RT, but the skill-set to move over and play on the left side – offers a great deal of upside.

WEAKNESSES:Smith needs to continue to fill out his frame and add bulk to his body. He has yet to develop a stout anchor to hold his ground vs. bull rushers and isn’t overpowering to be a mauler in the run game. Smith tends to overextend and can be caught lunging, needing to show better discipline in his stance. He needs to improve his awareness and instincts in order to recognize and handle stunts and extra rushers – something that will come with more experience. Smith lacks a killer instinct and needs to be more physical in the run game. He is still young and unpolished with much developing left to do – most of his playing experience at USC came at RT with little time at LT. Smith does have some durability concerns after a minor knee issue that kept him from working out at the NFL Combine. He also needs to impress in his personal interviews because he is so young and was suspended for the bowl game in 2009 because of academic issues.

OVERALL:Smith is an extremely impressive physical specimen with elite measureables, athleticism and fluidity for the position – entered college under 260-pounds and was listed at 280-pounds entering the 2010 season so he has done a nice job getting stronger, but still has room to add bulk. He manned the RT spot the past two years at USC and doesn’t have great experience at LT, but he projects best on the left side in the NFL because of his rare foot quickness, balance and ideal skill-set to mirror rushers and block in space. Smith is a younger prospect who will be just 20-years old when the 2011 NFL season begins and still has a lot of developing and growing yet to do, but is the most athletic lineman in this draft and has a very high ceiling and Pro Bowl potential, deserving top-10 consideration.

PROJECTION: Top-10 Overall
COMPARISON: D’Brickashaw Ferguson
WORKOUT RESULTS:TBD

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Is it too early to order my Tyron Smith Dallas Cowboy jersey?

C

Cr122

That's one of the reasons I like this kid, he's a good run blocker, we need lineman like that.

sbk92

Reaction score
If you give him a franchise LT grade on your board, then he's worth any pick.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I doubt he makes it to 14. At that point, it's Nate Solder or Anthony Castonzo time, so I'd rather trade down again and get Carimi.

I could easily end up being wrong, but this is one of my least favorite guys rated as a first rounder and I will be disappointed if we draft him. He looks like a major bust waiting to happen to me.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
couple of posts in CZ say Garrett was there for Tyron Smith's workout as well.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Order mine too, otherwise be banned.

but would you wear it over your normal attire ?
2507115185494040_1.jpg

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
From Bill Jones:

Bill Jones:

At USC Pro Day, OT Tyron Smith up to 310 pounds, runs 4.93, 31 reps on bench press with Jason Garrett in attendance...only 20 years old, and four weeks from tomorrow, I now fully expect him to become a Dallas Cowboy.

sbk92

Reaction score
I always consider age a big thing when evaluating these players. If you have a guy, like say a Terence Newman for instance, who is 24 years old and getting all the pub in college it's a lot less impressive than a kid at 20. It just is. Those 4 years are huge in development both physically and mentally.

Then add in you only have so many years to play. Smith walks in here with a potential 15 year career. That'd be a home run, but it's possible.

sbk92

Reaction score
Tyron Smith Impresses At Pro Day

Posted by rphillips at 3/30/2011 6:34 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

Tyron Smith, arguably the top-rated offensive tackle in this year's draft, had a solid USC pro day before representatives of all 32 teams, with Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett spotted among them.

The Trojans tackle ran a 4.91 40-yard dash, had 31 reps on the 225-pound bench press and perhaps most important, checked in at 310 pounds -- 30 pounds heavier than his last college playing weight.

Smith is becoming a popular mock choice for the Cowboys at No. 9 due to the team's need for offensive tackle depth. The Cowboys haven't taken an O-lineman in the first round in 30 years. You read that correctly. Not since Howard Richards in 1981.

To some extent, I'll believe that streak ending when I see it. But Smith is rising up draft boards for a reason -- most believe he's a legit left tackle prospect.

Reaction score
While subject to change, this kid is now #1 on my wish list for our first rounder.

Here's hoping two QB's go in the top 8, and Patrick Peterson goes in the top 5.

Reaction score
You know, I don't think it'll change. This is the guy I want.

While I absolutely love the draft, I don't consider myself near the draft guru as many of you. I don't watch as much college football as I used to, so most of my opinions are based on YouTube highlights, and reading various scouting reports, ect.

Usually a couple weeks before the draft, I target a player that I root for us to land.

In 2002, that was Roy Williams.
2003 - Byron Leftwich :awkward
2004 - Stephen Jackson
2005 - DeMarcus Ware
2006 - I was heavy into online poker at this time, so I didn't pay much attention to 'scouting' this draft. Neither did the Cowboys, appearantly.
2007 - Robert Meachum
2008 - Felix Jones
2009 - Meh. Hard to target a player when you don't pick until the third.
2010 - Dez Bryant

The two players I've been most excited about us drafting were Roy Williams and Dez Bryant. Both selections induced fist pumps, living room dances, and woodies.

For 2011, the player I want us to grab is Tyron Smith. Patrick Peterson is 1A if we can pull it off without trading up. But I think that's more a luxury pick than anything else. We desperately need to fix our line, and this kid can be an anchor for 10+ years.

I'm just hoping that all this speculated interest has some meat to it, and is not just some sort of smokescreen.

Top Bottom