Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just watched the 14+ minute highlight reel for Luke Schoonmaker

Two things were clear. This kid has good hands and can catch damn near anything thrown his way

But…..

He has zero YAC ability. 95% of the time he was brought down within 1-2 yards after the catch or less. Most of the time he was brought down by a single (and much smaller) defender.

He seems to be fine when he can get wide open, but he still will rarely make a long play even at those times.

The first point of contact and he’s brought down easily. Especially for a 6’5 250lb TE.

This sizzle reel didn’t include any of his blocking. So I’d like to see how he does in that regard especially since that is supposed to be a strong part of his game.

Mustang1

0le Ball Coach
Reaction score
Well we still have a glaring hole at left guard. It’s only a matter of time before Tyron Smith is injured and Tyler Smith moves out to LT. This reminds me of how the Jerruh ignored our safety issues for years. Mark my words… not addressing LG with a bonfide (not developmental ) starting quality guard is going to come back and bite us on the ass. This is a huge issue that needs to be addressed . We really missed not taking Torrance in the second round. Schoonmaker should not have been selected in the second round. Shortsighted and not well thought out IMO. With Philly loaded up on the D line and zero qualified depth at left guard we all need to pray Tyron Smith holds up or we are screwed. Dak will be running for his life and the interceptions will Mount. If anyone thinks a Josh Ball type is going to work they are dreaming. Josh Ball should not even be in the NFL. The trenches are where the game is won or lost. The brass better be scouring the trade market to get this fixed yesterday. If I were Dak I would be having some serious conversations with the Jerruh about getting this resolved asap. He is going to get killed back there when Tyron gets injured.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The players we've had at LG the past few seasons are no more than adequate at best.

They won't be hard to replace at all.

If we didnt have a LT or a C I'd be a little concerned, but we have those and also have an all pro RG, a solid starter at RT (whether it's Steele or Tyron) and Tyler Smith has the makings of being a very, very good LT for a decade to come.

Not worried about LG in the least.

daboyz

👀
Reaction score
Picture it. Jerry riding the bull while Stephen is the clown distracting it. :ROFLMAO:

Mustang1

0le Ball Coach
Reaction score
The players we've had at LG the past few seasons are no more than adequate at best.

They won't be hard to replace at all.

If we didnt have a LT or a C I'd be a little concerned, but we have those and also have an all pro RG, a solid starter at RT (whether it's Steele or Tyron) and Tyler Smith has the makings of being a very, very good LT for a decade to come.

Not worried about LG in the least.
Definitely a concern to me based on subpar depth. As average as McGovern was what we have on the roster is even more average. Life will be good as long as Tyron Smith stays healthy. When he goes down( and it’s when,not if) we are going to be in deep trouble at LG. You may not be worried in the least right now but that may change. We have a player in Josh Ball that should not even be in the NFL . He is terrible. IMO we need a stud at LG and make Tyron Smith your swing guy so he is not under increased risk of injury. When Tyron goes down with our current players in reserve Dak will be running for his life.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Definitely a concern to me based on subpar depth. As average as McGovern was what we have on the roster is even more average. Life will be good as long as Tyron Smith stays healthy. When he goes down( and it’s when,not if) we are going to be in deep trouble at LG. You may not be worried in the least right now but that may change. We have a player in Josh Ball that should not even be in the NFL . He is terrible. IMO we need a stud at LG and make Tyron Smith your swing guy so he is not under increased risk of injury. When Tyron goes down with our current players in reserve Dak will be running for his life.
I don't know why you are mentioning him, it's highly doubtful he'll even make the final roster, let alone ever see the field in a real game.

LG isn't worth losing any sleep over at all. Someone currently on the team will step into the position and be at least as decent as the two average Joe's we've had there the past few years and if they are not, they can go out in preseason or after final cutdowns and bring a vet in. They have a veteran already in there now in Chuma Edoga, we still have Farniok and they are going to try rookie Asim Richards at LG and he may end up being a real long term solution there.

Tyron hardly played last yr, and Prescott was never really running for his life.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

blows my mind someone as good at business as jeri is completely punts all leverage when negotiating with players, its bewildering because you know damn well he won't give an inch when it comes to coaches

Top Bottom